Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New PC & PDA. Cant get my maps into a new home installat
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New PC & PDA. Cant get my maps into a new home installat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: New PC & PDA. Cant get my maps into a new home installat Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have had a search but cant find a solution to this. There may well be one out there but I couldnt find the correct search terms if there is.

Anyway, I am a long loyal customer of tomtom having bought Navigator 2,3 5 and 6. I installed 6 on my Axim a year ago using my old PC.

However I bought a new PC a few months back and have just got a new PDA/Phone today so I decided to install Home on this new PC in the hope that I could retrieve my (already purchased) UK maps from tomtom's server to put on my new PDA.

My problem is when I tell HOME to look at my device an offer me updates, all it offers me is a voice. I need it to offer me the software and UK maps that I purchased back in December 2006.

When I log on to TomToms website, I can see my order paying for the UK maps in Dec 2006 but there is now nothing in the My Maps area.

Any idea how I can get the maps that I already own to put on my new PDA?

Thanks guys,

Ian
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps appear to be available for download up to a year after they are bought.
I suspect your download time has run out.

Without knowing the directory structure, I would assume you could copy the map off the Axim or use a backup off the old PC to get the map.

Note that you would have to activate it via www.ttcode.com to move the licence to use the map to the new device. You will need the original product code to do this.
Brodit ProClip mount
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry, thanks for the reply.

I no longer have tomtom home on the old pc as I didnt expect to need it again so I uninstalled it after buying ther new PC but I do still have the tomtom directory within the "my documents" directory, into which it originally downloaded the maps and application. In there I can see three likely objects. They are:-

great_britain_postal_teleatlas_603.cab
ttn_ppc_6010_7720.cab
UK_and_IE_plus_major_roads_of_WE.cab

I suspect the first is the postcodes, second if the application and last is the UK maps.

As they are cabs, my understanding is that I can copy them onto the new PDA and execute them and they install. But - where on the device should I move them to and is there an order that they should be installed?

I suspect software first, then maps then postcodes but as I want the maps and postcodes on the storage card and the software on the device do I need to move the cab for the software onto some directory within the device or is the storage card a safe place to execute it from?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi longwori. Good to see that you have the files available but I suspect you know a lot more about Navigator than I do. On my final update on the Palm, I just downloaded a zip file which had instructions in it (before Home was around).

Hopefully someone will be along who knows what to do for sure. I'd be guessing at best. I'm not sure whether you copy the cab files to the device then run them or extract the files on the PC then copy them over. There's never a readme.txt file when you want one. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could open the CAB files with WinRar and put the files into correctly name folders on the memory card, you won't be able to extract files by running the CAB files on the device as the resutant folder size is too large for this to work. Tihis probably won't activate the map though.

What I would do is copy the three CAB files to the downloads folder in TomTom Home, the folder prefernces will tell you the actual location on the PC that the downloads should reside in, then use Home to install the map to your device, don't forget to select the postcode option as that is often missed - Mike
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and Gerry,

Placing a copy of the downloads folder from the old pc into the new one did the trick and allowed me to do the install. Im glad I hadnt got rid of the files from the old PC otherwise I reckon it would have been a lengthy tomtom support battle!

Thanks again!

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: