Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PoketgpsWorld POI's Wrong ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PoketgpsWorld POI's Wrong ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: PoketgpsWorld POI's Wrong ??? Reply with quote

Ok so I downloaded POI's for shopping from PoketgpsWorld wanted to go to my local ASDA Supermarket it took me near ASDA what I mean by near I could see ASDA from far away but suddenly my TomTom 720 told me to turn left into a road few seconds later it said that I arrived at my destination and in front of me were couple of trees and asda was still quite far away same thing happened when I wanted to go to COMET Store I took a different route tomtom 720 quickly recalculated but I ended up no where near Comet cus there was another SHORT CUT I new to Comet and I wanted to see if it takes me on that route but it didn't.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of the POIs have been created from PostCode information and other public data. Often this results in the inaccuracies you have observed. PostCodes are not always the most accurate method of pinpointing a location but its a start and better than nothing.

If you're aware of entries that are incorrect then please submit a correction. We manually check each submission for accuracy and then update the master database. This ensures that those errors that do exist are removed and the quality improves.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add to Darren's request? Having found that user-submitted POIs have been amazingly useful (and thanks to all of those kind folks that took the effort to do this) it's really up to us users to check local POIs and submit corrections where we can see inaccuracies. Having done this recently, I found several missing POIs (a new Wickes opened very recently) and some were simply in the wrong position, may well be because postcode information doesn't tally with the important bit eg the entrance of a supermarket car park.

Darren; I assume there's full instructions in the stickies above on submitting/correcting POIs?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Darren; I assume there's full instructions in the stickies above on submitting/correcting POIs?
There are Help Links on the POI Submissions Page.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everybody would prefer to have the POIs in the correct place. Personally i am quite happy to have them on the database than not at all despite them being slightly out of location and being updated as can be, I regulary update them as i come across them even some of my own submissions now the location map has been updated and has a better resolution which makes it even easier
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area and round about Glasgow if i am navigating to a POI from PGPS it is not allways in the right place, I think we all know this, but 9 times out of 10 when i get to the destination of the POI from PGPS on the TomTom i have either drove past it or i can see it from where i am so i would still say it got me there quicker and easier than not having them at all. So i still think they are very useful and really cant complain.

Yes, I have altered them and submitted them for future updates. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget it's not just ours, the same issues affect every POI site.

If anything ours are more likely to be accurate or indeed improve as we actively check them and allow updates. Few other download sites have any checks at all.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point to remember is that as most locations are driven to, the location needs to be at the point of access to be of best use.

Obviously Pedestrianised Areas won't have quite the same problem. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course you can't even rely on the 'official information' being correct! On Portsmouth Historic Dockyard's web site, it gives a postcode for users of SatNavs, which should take them to the official car park entrance. No chance! I wonder how many people turn into the adjacent road about 100m away instead of looking for a (not very prominent) sign which points you the right way?

Many National Trust published postcodes will also mislead if you think they'll take you to the car park entrance; they're often (usually?) the postcode of the 'attraction' which can be adjacent to a different road entirely (which would be the case if my garden were several thousand acres.....). The good news is that the NT is very good at signposting, in my experience at least.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: