Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPECTEC SDIO SDG-810 for Pocket PC and Laptops ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECTEC SDIO SDG-810 for Pocket PC and Laptops ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: SPECTEC SDIO SDG-810 for Pocket PC and Laptops ? Reply with quote

I would like to know more about SDG-810 SPECTEC for pocket PC and laptops.
I also want to know whether SDIO drivers available for:
SD slots in laptop (communication port?)
PCMCIA SD cards (as communication Device).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very tiny receiver, what device ae you looking to use it with as there might be alternative options to consider? - Also what application have you in mind for using it with? as most devices use a sealed slot to cover the microSD card slot, if you get water in the PDA through using one of these it could very well damage the device - Mike
LGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: SPECTEC SDIO GPS SDG-810 Reply with quote

I am interested to use with any PC based GPS software.
e.g., Visual GPS.
The SPECTEC is not user friendly. No details provided how to use in PC.
Somewhere I read in Internet this can be used in PC. I presumed it can be used in normal SD slots. Now I feel cheated.. as I don;t know whether it will really work? SD slots compatible for a) GPS receiver, as a communication port?, as a storage (microSD slot built in.. with this device).. I already inserted 2GB microSD in that.. I could not see the SD drive.

The ideas was:
Load all the maps into 2GB memory
insert into laptop
get the signal
locate your co-ordinate or track..

I am surprised it is capable of working in mobile PC (WM2003) but not in normal laptop?

I wish some readers of this forum can direct me to 'drivers' for SDIO GPS devices (generic) and also PCMCIA (SD cards) where SDIO can be used.
the PCMCIA-SD can be re-used for SDIO GPS in laptops where SD slots not available..

Optionally is it possible to write the driver by the customer? i am willing if someone is there to guide me.. for the benefit of all .. (if manufactures don't support this.. as usual).

about the device for the benefit of readers:

http://www.redferret.net/?p=8080
http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/01/13/spectec-sdg-810-is-really-tiny/
LGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: reply from SPECTEC (believe it or not !) keep buying all...? Reply with quote

Dear customer,

Thank you for your supporting to SPECTEC's products, SPECTEC's
GPS Receiver products have 2 different series: one is SDIO interfaced
GPS Receiver, SDG-810, and the other is SD interfaced Bluetooth GPS
Receiver, SDG-812/813.

SDG-810 need to use a driver installed in host PDA thru which to deliver GPS
data to navigation software running in PDA, we offer SDG-810 driver for PPC2003 SE
and WM5.0/6.0, due to PDA's processor is much slower in speed than that of a desktop,
we do not offer SDG-810 driver for desktop/laptop.

SDG-812/813 are Bluetooth featured GPS Receiver products, SDG-812/813
deliver GPS data to navigation software thru Bluetooth instead of a driver, therefore SDG-812/
813 do not need a driver installed in host PDA/Smartphone. SDG-812/813 can be used in most
PDA/Smartphone that are Bluetooth ready, SDG-812/813 can be used in a laptop as well if laptop
has a Bluetooth device installed already.

By using our SD Bluetooth Battery Pack, SDP-881, SDG-812/813 can function well without a host
PDA/Smartphone, its usage method is quite the same as that of using other Bluetooth device in
PDA/Smartphone, simply open Bluetooth manager from PDA/Smartphone and finish the Bluetooth
device pair process to establish connection between PDA's Bluetooth device and SDG-812/813, and
then navigation software can receive GPS data from SDG-812/813.
LGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: SDG-810 requires a SDIO enabled sd slot Reply with quote

Finally I received the answer (a bit shocking for novice users of laptops)

"To use SDG-810 requires a SDIO enabled sd slot, while most laptops do not have one."

Some can enlighten me why SD slot not SDIO enabled in most laptops as claimed by SPECTEC...

Your suggestions appreciated.

*user*

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: