Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
But why would they drop support for PDA's with more phone devices coming on to the market with built in GPS ?

One of the bigget reasons may be piracy - there are a lot of copies of the maps and s/w out there. Having your own hardware makes it simpler to control this sort of thing.

The GPS units in phones are there for the network providers to get more money out of you by supplying LBS. Look at the N95 - TomTom Nav 6 will run on this - but it won't use the internal GPS - you need an external BT GPS.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe....but my HTC Vario 111 works just fine.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For PDA use I still like version 5,21 as this actually works with third party applications and offers only a few less minor features. I like the POICapture utility on my PDA so I have stuck with this version on one of my units, I do have TT6 on a PDA but it refuses to run the POICapture due to TomTom removing support for the SDK.
As for any hint of version 7 who knows, but I wouldn't hold my breath - Mike

Out of interest POI capture works OK with up to V6.01 of TTN6, its V6.03 that appears to screw up all the third party applications
anewman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
One of the bigget reasons may be piracy - there are a lot of copies of the maps and s/w out there. Having your own hardware makes it simpler to control this sort of thing.

I have seen pirated updates and maps for the actual units themselves, including the latest navcore 7 floating around. So piracy can't be the reason if their own hardware is hacked.

If they do not release a PDA version it's simply a ploy to get us to buy their hardware.

I would probably buy a 520t if I had the cash.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anewman wrote:
philpugh wrote:

I have seen pirated updates and maps for the actual units themselves, including the latest navcore 7 floating around. So piracy can't be the reason if their own hardware is hacked.

If they do not release a PDA version it's simply a ploy to get us to buy their hardware.

I would probably buy a 520t if I had the cash.
If you think about it from TT's point of view:- If you load a pirated copy of a new map onto a 720, then they have already had £00s from you. If you load it onto a PDA, then they get nothing!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
alfaman3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many of the previous posts I happily run 5.201 but how can I get upgrades for my maps. (UK plus will do). Is there a source or is the upgrade to 6 and a new PDA to run it on an inevitability.

My 2210 works fine!

dave
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
mikealder wrote:
I do have TT6 on a PDA but it refuses to run the POICapture due to TomTom removing support for the SDK.

Out of interest POI capture works OK with up to V6.01 of TTN6, its V6.03 that appears to screw up all the third party applications

v6.031 cures the third-party application problem and restores SDK functionality. I suspect the "removing support for the SDK" was by mistake on this platform. The 6.031 update was made available to SDK developers at the beginning of November.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
s3dbw wrote:
mikealder wrote:
I do have TT6 on a PDA but it refuses to run the POICapture due to TomTom removing support for the SDK.

v6.031 cures the third-party application problem and restores SDK functionality. I suspect the "removing support for the SDK" was by mistake on this platform. The 6.031 update was made available to SDK developers at the beginning of November.

Is this version downloadable from the TomTom Site?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfaman3 wrote:
Like many of the previous posts I happily run 5.201 but how can I get upgrades for my maps. (UK plus will do). Is there a source or is the upgrade to 6 and a new PDA to run it on an inevitability.

My 2210 works fine!

dave

You should be able to run the V660 maps on V5 TTN. THis is the latest version of the maps (now a year old) that will run on TTN5.

It was this action by TomTom that hfinally persuade me that PDA based navigation was getting towards end-of-life and I bought an all-in-one unit (Garmin nuvi in my case). Never regretted the decision - much less hassle.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3dbw wrote:
Is this version downloadable from the TomTom Site?

No, TomTom have said that it's up to the third-party developer to pass it to their customers. They also said that TomTom Home won't download it.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thid does not actually mention TT7 for PDA by name but might be worth looking into

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=475&Lid=1

theripper
Targonis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 7 for PDA Reply with quote

I talked to a Tomtom rep on Jan 3rd and he indicated that a new version IS being worked on, but no official word has gone out yet. One "rumor" is some time in Feb of 2008.

What many people do not seem to understand is that it is a LOT more difficult to release a PDA version than it is to release a version for a dedicated device. If all PDA platforms are being released at the same time, they need to deal with many different devices that share the same OS.

So, how many different PalmOS devices are there right now? That alone would require a bit of work to QA, not to mention making sure that Google Maps for mobile will work on it as well. Tomtom put out the announcement about working with Google Maps, so it wouldn't look good if the PDA software would cause a conflict or crash with the Google Maps application for the same device.

They also need to make sure that just because Navigator 7 runs, it also LOOKS correct based on the screen size and doesn't glitch out. There are some games on the PC that do not work well with wide screen resolutions, so Tomtom needs to avoid that sort of problem.

My own bet is that April 15th is the latest we might expect it to be released, so I'm relaxing until then.
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Version 7 for PDA ? - Here's what TomTom say...... Reply with quote

I'm interested in upgrading my TomTom software so that the "Mapshare" feature can be used, as on the latest TomTom stand alone devices.

I would also hope that a working version of POI Capture would be included Rolling Eyes

I asked Tomtom support the following question :

"There are lots of PDA users I know who have TomTom Navigator, and who all - like me - would love to see an upgrade to allow us to use the TomTom Mapshare feature. Are there any existing plans for such an upgrade, or if not how do I / we request that the owners of TomTom consider this request from its customers ?"

Their answer was :

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

For a PDA to work with Mapshare, version 7 of our software would have to be re-written to work with PDA's.

Currently we have no news of whether the company will decided to continue producing software for PDA market so we cannot provide you with an answer other than no current plans im afraid.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So not only are there NO plans to develop Version 7, but it looks like they are thinking about whether to continue producing software for the PDA at all ! Shocked

The only way that TomTom will decide to continue to support PDA's is if it is commercially viable for them to do so - in other words there needs to be a demand from their customers, and they need to know that the demand is there - so come on - write or E-Mail TomTom and let them know - if you want to continue to use your PDA for navigation Exclamation

Otherwise it is likely that TomTom will do exactly what Navman did, and will stop supporting the PDA, will stop releasing updated maps for the PDA, and will concentrate on their dedicated GPS devices. Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take any response from the CS staff on future products with a pinch of salt. They will be the last to know and even if they did, they would not be permitted to say.

TomTom won't confirm a product until it has been officially announced, nothing unusual in that, its standard business practice.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from "theripper"'s link above, it would indicate that TomTom were demonstrating their software at the CES, including Navigator for PDA's

So was it there? and in what version? If it wasn't there, then once again TomTom have let down those that don't want a PNA.

Hope to see a newer version soon.

Bloater

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: