Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No room for new map on TTOne V1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No room for new map on TTOne V1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: No room for new map on TTOne V1 Reply with quote

As its says... I have a TT1 V1 Europe edition, with the European map. I purchased an updated map recently, but when I come to load it, even after deleting the existing (original) map, I have insufficient space on the TT1 drive. Even deleting non-essentials (including Dutch postcodes) there still isn't enough room. What can I do?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size SD Card do you have?

Also which European Map have you Downloaded?

.... and deleting un-used Voice Files will release most memory.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present I'm not using an SD card, so I was wondering if I could just install the replacement map (Western Europe, an update of the original one) on an SD card - would the TT just pick it up, I can't seen anything in the manual that says I have to tell it where to look? I presumably would still need to delete the original map from the device. And what about my PGPSW camera database that resides in the Western Europe folder?

I only have the 2 original voice files, and deleting one gets me 0.7Mb. Dutch postcodes get me more - but not enough. And I might one day need them!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain about which Device you have.

A TT One V1 only had an SD Card. The only Device with out an SD Card is the XL. Confused

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The only Device with out an SD Card is the XL. Confused
Sorry Embarassed

That should read the ONE 3rd Edition. The XL has internal memory and an SD Card.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafletcher wrote:
I only have the 2 original voice files, and deleting one gets me 0.7Mb. Dutch postcodes get me more - but not enough. And I might one day need them!
Have you downloaded the Western and Central Europe Map, instead of the Western Europe?

Looking at what you have said so far, I'm guessing that you have a TT XL Europe.

That has a 1GB Internal Memory, and a Card Slot.

Therefor if you have downloaded a Map that is larger than 1GB, it just won't fit.

rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TT One "European" edition - not XL, the device is about a year old.

It has an SD card slot.

I downloaded the TT "recommended" update.

The original map was Western Europe at 907.8Mb
The updated Western Europe map is 930.7Mb

I have 10Mb of TT1 application, o.7Mb POI, 1.3Mb voices, 0.1Mb quickGPSfix, 0.4Mb Phone settings, 11.3Mb Postcodes and 4.8Mb Satelite imagery making (with map) 957.9Mb presently on the device.

Total free space 18.4Mb, which is some 12Mb too little when I swap the maps.

So yes, I'm sure what device I have. Can I use the SD card for any of the apps presently on the device so I can utilise the larger map file?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving aside the issue of which Device you have, if you load an SD Card with the application and Maps it should boot from that when it is inserted.

IIRC it is either one or the other, not both.

There must be something else filling up your Internal Memory if you only have 18.4MB Free.

Are you looking at the Unused Space with Windows Explorer and Drive Properties, or the Free memory as reported by the Device on the Version Information Page? They are not the same thing.

908MB for the Map plus some 29MB for the running Extras, plus a few other files should leave you with 50MB or so.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafletcher wrote:
I have a TT One "European" edition - not XL

So yes, I'm sure what device I have.

Well it's certainly not a "ONE v1"...
I would be very interested to know the model number on the underside, please, and the actual name on the box if possible, as I have been compiling a list of hardware versions.
The ones I have in my list so far are:

Quote:
TomTom One Original/First Edition: 4N00.001 / 4N00.003 - SD Card only

TomTom One "New Edition"/"Second Edition" (Region unknown): 4N00.004.2 - SD Card only, no internal flash. SiRF Star III chip, recognized as ONE v3 when connected to PC.

TomTom One "New Edition"/"Second Edition" (Regional): 4N00.012 - SD Card only, no internal flash. Hammerhead chipset. Serial # Z3xxxxxxxxxx

TomTom One "Third Edition" UK and Southern Ireland 512MB (Orange Box): 4N01.001
TomTom One "Third Edition": 4M01.002 (unknown region, picture on TT website)

There was a brief period where the "New Edition" went over to Flash memory as well...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device in question is probably one of These it does say 1GB of internal memory, but I wonder if it fell short and actually has less onboard? can you connect it to the PC and using Windows Explorer right click the device and select properties, what is the actual reported size - Mike
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Very Happy

It's a TomTom ONE New Edition Western Europe

958Mb according to Explorer (1,004,650,496 bytes) plus it has an SD card slot (as per the pics in the link posted)

Reported as Tom Tom One V4 by Explorer

Driver version 6.0.6000.16386

4N00.005

C_No: Z14047H01986.

Really all I need to know is can I put maps or apps on the SD card? If not I'll have to brave TT support and see if I can get my money back, or if they have another solution.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the app and maps onto an SD card and the device will then boot from the card, you need all the files from the internal flash memory on to the SD card for this to work.

Have a read through This which details upgrading to a larger card, in your case you are simply copying the files/ folders from the internal Flash store to the PC, then copy them to a larger card.

Don't be tempted to grab a cheap card though as they have a habit of not working, read speed is very imprtant, get one at least 150x and 2GB capacity, it would appear that the internal Flash memory is not actually 1GB then from the figures you have stated - Mike
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Leaving aside the issue of which Device you have, if you load an SD Card with the application and Maps it should boot from that when it is inserted.

IIRC it is either one or the other, not both.

There must be something else filling up your Internal Memory if you only have 18.4MB Free.

Are you looking at the Unused Space with Windows Explorer and Drive Properties, or the Free memory as reported by the Device on the Version Information Page? They are not the same thing.

908MB for the Map plus some 29MB for the running Extras, plus a few other files should leave you with 50MB or so.

I was using Home to see what applications reported that I could (as I understand it) safely remove and still have a functioning device. Explorer shows other files of course, unfotuantely I'm not savvy enough to be able to paste a screen shot here Crying or Very sad
rafletcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can put the app and maps onto an SD card and the device will then boot from the card, you need all the files from the internal flash memory on to the SD card for this to work.

Have a read through This which details upgrading to a larger card, in your case you are simply copying the files/ folders from the internal Flash store to the PC, then copy them to a larger card.

Don't be tempted to grab a cheap card though as they have a habit of not working, read speed is very imprtant, get one at least 150x and 2GB capacity, it would appear that the internal Flash memory is not actually 1GB then from the figures you have stated - Mike

Thanks Mike - really thats all I needed to know Very Happy I don't presently have a card in the device, so I'll just get a good quality 2Gb card and copy all files from the internal memory onto the card - also means I can keep a spare around too, and makes playing around with upgrades easier too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: