Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trafcam at it again...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trafcam at it again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Trafcam at it again... Reply with quote

As a Trafcam customer - I am begining to lose my rag with them. They kindly write to me today, telling that they have a new upgrade that links to TTNav.. Hooray (another bloody beta product - have they ever released the full version of any of their code?). Went to their site.. down.. again!

I am also wondering about the validity of their positions on the cameras lately. I have logged, twice, the cameras on Hanger Hill W5 (December and January and they are in the PocketGPS database) and the one outside Ealing Hospital (now that has also been logged twice), which is an absolute nasty piece of work as they added the camera and removed the 40 mile signs. The inferece is that it is now a 30!

I've given up writing to them. My membership is up for renewal.... and I'm just wondering how many customers they may lose. I am still undersided about renewing at the moment...
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

I don't normally reply to stuff like this in public forums, but I thought one or two points you made deserved a quick defence:

On the new release - we make every new version as 'beta' until we're sure there are no issues with that particular release. The previous beta lasted a bit longer than I would have liked, because work was going on behind the scenes. I was aware of problems with the last beta that were reported by some subscribers, and cured with their help in testing. Thus it wasn't appropriate to make it a real one. It looks like the demand for the new download caused some problems with the server, thus it was down for a bit on Wednesday night, but it was back the next day and continues to be available. All servers suffer from time to time - this site was unavailable when I tried yesterday, for example.

As for your camera submissions, I can't easily check specifics but they are probably out for validation with a spotter. I'll look into them. We continue to update the database regularly - for example we updated yesterday and I have another one to load today.

I have a selection of emails from you, but nothing for almost a year. During our exchange of emails you made some very useful suggestions, at least some of which have been included in the latest release and others are still on my to-do list.

I hope you do decide to renew your subscription, and if you have any other comments or suggestions they are, as always, most welcome.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Trafcam... Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I have seen the site is up and thank you for that. However, if the server is not up to it....

I have downloaded the new version and yes it does look much better.
1. The arrows are more pronounced.
2. Add camera. I agree a much better solution and thank you for that.
3. Version Control. Thank you for this. At least we know what version we are on, the number of cameras in the database and our expiry date.

However, it still has the annoying bug of when selecting a "Naviagate to" from TT Nav, the system shows up with GATSO and and arrow pointing straight ahead and zero speed. Press the screen to clear it and try again to select your destination. This was in 1.06 as well. Occassionally, Trafcam stops working with an application error and then you have to restart it.

I have always liked this product for it's easy load and frequent updates (fires excepted). However, depending on which version of Trafcam you have Series 60, Pocket PC or Palm, you get different functionality. Motorway mode is still missing inthe PPC version, but been avilable on the Palm version for over a year. Why the diffence?

I have decided to re-new, based on your honest comments here. I'll now keep my comments direct to you from now on.. unless, of course, things get out of hand :D
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Trafcam... Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
However, it still has the annoying bug of when selecting a "Naviagate to" from TT Nav, the system shows up with GATSO and and arrow pointing straight ahead and zero speed. Press the screen to clear it and try again to select your destination. This was in 1.06 as well.

I've noticed this myself. What's happening is that TomTom appears to be giving us a valid GPS location, but the lat and long are actually zero, this confuses the camera search and it plays a warning. This is why it's a beta but expect a fix very shortly. Embarassed

SimonCatlin wrote:
However, depending on which version of Trafcam you have Series 60, Pocket PC or Palm, you get different functionality. Motorway mode is still missing inthe PPC version, but been avilable on the Palm version for over a year. Why the diffence?

More feedback from Palm users, on that specific one, but it will happen in PPC. Adding stuff like this depends on how hard it is and how much disruption it will cause - for example adding the 'delete camera' routine means a change to the database format, so that's much more involved than adding motorway mode. But both will come - the plan is all versions will have the same features (as long as the platform allows it).

Mike.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: