Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Routing indication
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Routing indication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Routing indication Reply with quote

If you create a route in the unit (I assume it can't be done online yet), does the Active 10 use an arrow indicator to guide you like in Memory Map (pda), or is the only indicator the red circle showing your current position?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Routing indication Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
If you create a route in the unit (I assume it can't be done online yet), does the Active 10 use an arrow indicator to guide you like in Memory Map (pda), or is the only indicator the red circle showing your current position?

The Satmap doesn't display a direction of travel arrow on the map screen like Memory Map does, just the red dot. However, Satmap does something even better, that Memory Map can't Cool
Switch the map view to track-up mode, and it rotates the OS map to orientate it according to your current heading (if you're moving-set by GPS) or bearing (if you're stationary-set by compass). It's just like setting a paper map using a compass - one of the first tricks they teach you in orienteering.
In practice, you need to experiment with setting the threshold speed (the speed you need to be travelling at before the Satmap will switch from using the compass to orientate the map to using the GPS heading for the same) - I've found that for my walking speed, 5kph is the optimum setting. This ensures that the map stays still when I'm stationary.
So when following a route in track-up mode, you know that you're going in the right direction if the current leg of your route projects straight ahead in front of you on the map - you simply turn left or right while walking to keep the line straight out in front of you as you go...EASY!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the Track Up option isn't enough there is also the Pointer screen which clearly indicates the direction and distance to the next waypoint, and you have various options to add upto four different info boxes to be visible on the map screen, these can also contain bearing and distance info to waypoint etc - Mike
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really looks the business this SatMap, I have a couple of reservations before I buy one. One is cost .. the unit is definitely worth £300 but the maps I want (Lakes & Dales 1:25000) are going to cost another £200, which is bit of a thing when I've accumulated all the UKs Mem Map maps, and only a year ago I shelled out £500 on a Zumo for my car/motorcycle.
I'm after something with OS mapping to use on my mountain bike, I've done a few mods with the Zumo with map overlays on the Zumo Forums but theres no substitute for OS maps (hence my other posts enquiring about Road Angel 7000).
Other reservations are the actual company who appear never to deliver on time, the ability to transfer routes to the unit (probably as gpx files from Mem Map for me) is a must, and I like to get my hands on this software before I part with the cash (just incase they go belly up - you never know!). Also the better rechargeable battery they have promised needs to be available as well (and how much will that cost!)

Thanks guys for your prompt replies.
Brian
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
It really looks the business this SatMap, I have a couple of reservations before I buy one. One is cost .. the unit is definitely worth £300 but the maps I want (Lakes & Dales 1:25000) are going to cost another £200, which is bit of a thing when I've accumulated all the UKs Mem Map maps, and only a year ago I shelled out £500 on a Zumo for my car/motorcycle.
I'm after something with OS mapping to use on my mountain bike, I've done a few mods with the Zumo with map overlays on the Zumo Forums but theres no substitute for OS maps (hence my other posts enquiring about Road Angel 7000).
Other reservations are the actual company who appear never to deliver on time, the ability to transfer routes to the unit (probably as gpx files from Mem Map for me) is a must, and I like to get my hands on this software before I part with the cash (just incase they go belly up - you never know!). Also the better rechargeable battery they have promised needs to be available as well (and how much will that cost!) This may well be down to them being a new start-up who are looking to build a dedicated user-base, but it bodes well for the future.

Thanks guys for your prompt replies.
Brian

It is a great bit of kit, but yes, the maps are expensive, especially if you've already invested in memory map coverage: As a user of MM2004, I'm already running into difficulty getting hold of 1:25K mapping for MM, and there's no way I'm going to buy my existing coverage all over again for MM V5, so from this point of view, buying the mapping for the Satmap is no more wasteful than upgrading to the latest version of Memory Map. I'm hoping that Satmap won't betray us in the way that MM did by expecting us to buy the same maps all over again every time a new product version gets released.
Like you, I'm also eagerly awaiting the Satsync software so that I can plan routes in MM.
With regards to your comment on Satmap's ability to deliver reliably...despite the lack of development of the website and absence of software and firmware to download thus far, their customer support for the hardware and map cards is second to none - just search this forum for anecdotal evidence.
I too considered the Road Angel when it was released, but decided to hold out until something more suitable for my needs came along (namely: field-replaceable batteries, non-touch screen interface and a form factor more suitable to being held in the hand on a mountain)- and thankfully, it did!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Memory Map it's the Ordnance Survey that makes everyone buy new mapping when a new version of MM or Anquet or Tracklogs etc comes out. At least MM gives you a bit of a discount when you upgrade.

I dare say it will be the same when the Active 20 is released in a few years time....our current mapping won't be recognised.

Has anyone tried connecting their Satmap to their PC and used whatever ActiveSync is called these days to transfer routes? I recall someone saying it was planned for Satmap to use that method originally but it caused issues for some people using other equipment.....was that other equipment PDAs?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan a simple route on the deivce, save it to the memory card then remove the card and place it in a card reader on the PC, then you will see the route file, right click it and you can open it using Note Pad. The format appears to be Northings/ Eastings.
The PC based software will be a welcome addition but as I have said before planning a route on the device is not too difficult - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike. As a matter of interest, when you're planning your route, (with the steadiest of hands,) how often do you put a POI in...every twist and turn ?
Does the Satmap also put one in as you're walking...I think you said every 10 seconds ? I am still very wary when high up in the hills, in bad weather, that the accuracy could be the difference between life and death...despite the best of common sense, and carrying the regulation paper map and compass.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: