Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 920 in for Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 920 in for Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: quality of TMC reception? Reply with quote

peteward wrote:
Can I ask my usual question regarding the new 920: does the TMC reception work properly? I was warned off getting this for my 910.

I don't suppose it's been improved for the 910 by now, has it?

As I have said in reply to another post, the new antenna that ships with this and that is available to buy is very much better. Not perfect but much improved.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

springermad wrote:
I have found with my Tomtom 910 that the after sales service has been absolutely appalling. I bought a RDS TMC unit for it on the 7th Feb for £69.99p as it appears many other people did, with non of them working in the UK.

We too were very disappointed with the way TomTom handled this. There could be no justification for needing a receipt as all earlier versions were not fit and we were given to understand that a replacement would be supplied without question to all customers who had bought earlier versions.

The way they have handled this seems to have become a bit of a lottery with some getting replacements easily, some having to fight to get what they had a right to have and others giving up.

You are entitled to a replacement new model and if you wish I would be happy to get this resolved for you in the New Year? Drop me an email and I will ensure the right person at TomTom sorts your case for you?
StevenCavanagh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the TomTom Go 920 with a Nokia N95 mobile to see if the handsfree works okay. I don't want to buy one and then find it doesn't
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Stephen.

I'm sure you'll have other questions now you're here, so forgive me if I mention the Search button at the top of this window.

In this example, you can type something like "Nokia N95" on the search box, set it to look for "ALL" the words rather than "any" and ask it to search just the TomTom part of the forum.

That gives 20 matches (including yours). One of the first is this one...

TT 720 Handsfree to N95 - Does it work for you ? (click on the text to go there).
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed in the sound quality. The first day we used it it was fine, now it is tinny and really annoying.
Doug
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
I'm disappointed in the sound quality. The first day we used it it was fine, now it is tinny and really annoying.
Doug

Are you using it on internal battery power? as the 720 was also no good on battery, but audio is fine on external power.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
DougWeller wrote:
Doug

Are you using it on internal battery power? as the 720 was also no good on battery, but audio is fine on external power.

No, we were for a short while but when we plugged it into the car it was still tinny.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Hi Darren,

Do the voices distort on full volume when the battery runs down, same as the 720?

Never noticed it before and had you not mentioned it I might not have realised but yes, then 920 suffers the same issue when battery level is low.
r1666a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I just got my 920T in the states last week as I had a long drive from Lasvegas to SanFran. It performed brilliantly (my last unit was a garmin streetpilot)

I was particularly impressed with the range of configurability compared to the garmin.... I can even select what car shape the icon should be!

The TMC kept looking for a signal and never found one .... never mind as the traffic over there wasnt as bad as expected.

Since Ive got back to the uk, I have now changed to European maps and the TMC doensnt work at all by saying "

"Your RDS-TMC Ttraffic Receiver cannot be used in combination with the current map."

Has anyone experienced this?
Is the TMC aeriel in the US different than the UK aerial?

Many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA RDS-TMC receivers are indeed different to those used in Europe, you will need to get another receiver for European usage - Mike
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that is INTERESTING. I gather you folks (east of the pond) use different frequencies than here in the States???

Hmmm, do you want to sell that US-biased receiver? I've got the plain 920!!! (g)

You indicated that it did not work or there was no information on "traffic" between Las Vegas and SF?

How does one tell if there is traffic info for a particular location - Seattle, for example?
r1666a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2, you have pm.

The frequencies are the same (87-108Mhz) .... must be something else.. I will contact Tomtom to see if they can highlight some differences.
david8584
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought my 920T a few weeks ago upgrading from the original tomtomGo. I love it. Brought the 720T for a xmas present for my brother and inside was a yellow slip of paper which was not in the 920T concerning the use of the RDS-TMC reciver in the UK. This is what it says

IMPORTANT
Please follow these instructions on how to set up your RDS-TMC reciver in the United Kingdom.

1 Turn on your TomTom.
2 Plug in the TMC reciver. You should see a message pop up saying " RDS-TMC Reciver connected".
3 Tap the screen of your TomTom.
4 Tap the icon "TomTom Traffic.
5 Tap the icon "Change Traffic Preferences".
6 Tap Done.
7 In the list select "United Kingdom" by tapping on it.
8 Tap Done.
9 Your TomTom is now configured for use with your RDS-TMC Reciver.

I hope this is some help.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david8584 wrote:
IMPORTANT
Please follow these instructions on how to set up your RDS-TMC receiver in the United Kingdom.
I hope this is some help.

It is a tremendous help. Having unshrinkwrapped my new one, I'm glad I saw this post, because the bag containing mine bears a bright orange sticker saying ...
Quote:
IMPORTANT!
If you have purchased this product in the United Kingdom, please read the enclosed leaflet which includes important instructions on how to setup your RDS/TMC receiver.

There is no enclosed leaflet, so I would have been struggling to contact TomTom!! Evil or Very Mad

After following your instructions the device seemed to be hunting for a signal, without success. But I'm indoors at present and not intending going out again today. I'll see how it goes when I do.

Thank you again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jparton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenCavanagh wrote:
Has anyone tried the TomTom Go 920 with a Nokia N95 mobile to see if the handsfree works okay. I don't want to buy one and then find it doesn't

It works fine with my iPhone, and the iPhone doesn't do some pretty basic mobile phone functions, so I would have thought you would be in pretty good shape with the N95, although of course I haven't tested it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: