Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
Did anyone hear this week about the French blowing up speed cameras the police are treating them as terrorists - you have to laugh.

Big up the French! One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Laughing
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mrgrimsby,

mrgrimsby wrote:
So who does the Isle of Wight then??

Bo Peep and I have in the past visited the IoW and spotted a few new fixed sites. If my memory is correct, I think that all of the fixed cameras in the IoW are front facing Truevelo, and not the usual Gatso.

Bo Peep and I are hoping to visit the IoW in 2008 Q1 (prossibly March). I see that there are some camera sites that need verifiying, so we'll do some cameras as well.

Ahem, the last paragraph is subject to Bo Peep allowing us to go any veriifiy the cameras. Embarassed

What she doesn't know is that if we don't verify any cameras, I'll leave her there! Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Apple
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article...

I suppose I'm one of the luck ones (AKA spawny git) as a newbie - I stumbled across two truvelos on the first day they were install around some roadworks. Couldn't bag them with POI Capture as to many curves through the cones and not enough time to get a gps lock so charged home and got them online.

I guess it was MaFt that checked them out being next to the mining museum but they've since been reversed (they're now forward-facing as you exit the roadworks) so could need re-submitting (a challenge for someone.)

I'd not thought about submitting when they were removed - I'll keep my eyes peeled...

Ta.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
So who does the Isle of Wight then??
I did a couple once quite some time ago - There wasn't much time between my ferry bookings for that delivery, so I couldn't get too far off course.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would be more than happy to check submitted locations here on the island even though I am not currently subscribed .
I am available most weekends and want nothing in return at all (honestly). Razz
I am being serious for once too!
Pete
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the above offer too good to be true? does no one trust me? Or is it to embarassing to talk about? I would be more than happy to do it .
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
Is the above offer too good to be true? does no one trust me? Or is it to embarassing to talk about? I would be more than happy to do it .
Nobody wants to be the first to appear to offend you! Including me, but here goes.

The verifiers were only chosen after quite some period of assessing them (without us knowing, I hasten to add). After that time, we were approached on the basis that
A) We all had already received free lifetime memberships, due to having submitted cameras in the past.
B) Despite having life memberships, we had continued submitting camera details, so we weren't doing it for gain, simply for the benefit of the database.
C)We seemed to have built up quite a history of sending in accurate submissions (even when we were not first, our submissions were still accurate).
D) I don't know. PGPSW secret.
E) Probably something to do with who's a handsome guy or a beautiful gal.

So, it is at present for PGPSW to consider whether you meet those criteria. That is very difficult, considering you live on a small island and rarely move anywhere that you might have the opportunity to build a submissions history.

You're right, it IS an embarrassing question. On the one hand, a volunteer is worth 10 pressed men. On the other, the database has a tremendous reputation for accuracy and they really do want to keep up that standard. And on the third hand, if they accept your offer, what happens to the next offer and the next and so on? I can assure you that they've seen your offer, as have many verifiers. It might be worth noting that we've got a pair of established verifiers visiting the Isle of Wight in the not too distant future, so your kind offer may simply be superfluous.

I do hope you aren't offended by this, but I felt both that you deserved an answer and that other members should see the question from both sides.

I wonder how long my membership will remain intact for doing this? Confused

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still a member Dennis? Wink
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dennis , I understand the problems but this is a unique situation and the people on this website and forum have been very helpful to me since I have been visiting these forums and the offer is the least I could do to help.
My offer will remain and even if interim information would be of help then I am pleased to offer my services.
on the subject of trust I can appreciate this but this must be a problem that could be overcome.
There are people in this world who are happy to help on a voluntary basis.
I would be more than happy to talk to people about this and can be contacted via my email address, Thanks again Dennis.
Pete.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, your offer is well received, I am not to sure how many camera locations you have submitted to date as I don't have access to that information. To be considered for verifier status what I would suggest is you take a pro-active interest in submitting locations and corrections for the Island (and main land when you travel),

As Dennis has explained above it takes time and I appreciate you have a rather limitted amount of locations to check/ correct but keep up the good work.

Every submission of a location adds to the accuracy of the database so by doing the above you are contributing, probably without realising it, all submissions help - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Are you still a member Dennis? Wink
I don't know - you don't have to be a subscribed member to post in this thread, so I'll have to wait and see. Cross a couple of fingers for me please.

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
. . . you don't have to be a subscribed member to post in this thread

But presumably you do have to be a subscribed member to be considered for promotion to verifiership?

mrgrimsby wrote:
Well I would be more than happy to check submitted locations here on the island even though I am not currently subscribed.

Samsung Galaxy S21
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good point Anita and A valid one It was a dumb proposition anyway so lets forget i ever mentioned it shall we?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't getting at you, Pete, and I'm sure any offer of help would be appreciated and never be considered a dumb proposition.

I just felt it was worth pointing out that subscribed membership would probably be one of the requirements.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Anita, thanks, I tend to fire off offers of help without thinking about the requirements or implications first I can't help it.
Anyway I would think it would be a nice day out to come over and tour the Island.
Pete

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: