Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 920 in for Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 920 in for Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the intention was that as memory cards become ever faster and larger, the need to provide large hard disks had become superfluous. Flash ram and memory cards also are more reliable and use less power.

As it is supplied the 920 has only a few hundred Kb of spare space on its internal flash ram but it can be easily expanded. The current max is 8Gb but this will get bigger.

I'm with you, I never used my 910 for anything but maps so the 20Gb disk was a waste to me, bit for those that want to use it as an MP3 player they can easily load a card up with music and insert it in the x20.
fao91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

512mb on the Go520??!!Really?!
Here(Portugal) it comes with 1gb!
Diferent regions,diferent size of the built in memory.Yep!that seems a Tomtom move Wink
lostinuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: TT920 Traffic Reply with quote

I am using TT Navigator 5 on an XDA Mini S, with TT Traffic. My traffic subscription is GPRS based not RDS. Is the 920 rds, and if so how does this compare with gprs. Thanks!
Tom Tom US-Canada

Now using Waze as primary GPS.
limebear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
just bought a 920T, but can't open it until Xmas AAAAGH can't wait. Anyway, I am really keen to try out the MAP Share function - just how flexible is it? Can you fix anything? Add a new road? Fix the roundabouts that say take the seventh exit when there are only four?
cheers
limebear.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limebear, you really need to set you sights a little lower to avoid disappointment, MapShare is only good upto a certain point, it is good for harvesting information where there are map errors, but most changes will require TomTom to produce a new map - Mike
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map Share has its limitations Sad
See this thread.

HummerUK
limebear wrote:
Hi,
just bought a 920T, but can't open it until Xmas AAAAGH can't wait. Anyway, I am really keen to try out the MAP Share function - just how flexible is it? Can you fix anything? Add a new road? Fix the roundabouts that say take the seventh exit when there are only four?
cheers
limebear.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limebear wrote:
Fix the roundabouts that say take the seventh exit when there are only four?
I've had this problem with some local roundabouts where the road directions have been wrong. The exit slip is not marked one way and the entry slip is not marked one way, so TT treats it as two exits. I have successfully corrected mine by "blocking" them in one direction, but you have to get in close and they have to have separate bits of road to block.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: quality of TMC reception? Reply with quote

Can I ask my usual question regarding the new 920: does the TMC reception work properly? I was warned off getting this for my 910.

I don't suppose it's been improved for the 910 by now, has it?

thanks!
Peter Ward
springermad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found with my Tomtom 910 that the after sales service has been absolutely appalling. I bought a RDS TMC unit for it on the 7th Feb for £69.99p as it appears many other people did, with non of them working in the UK.
I was told by Tom tom that it would be replaced 2nd quarter of 2007, and after calling them over twenty times about the delay and being fobbed off each time, when they did eventualy offer a replacement they insisted that a receipt should accompany it. After ten months the till receipt was no longer elligable, so I eventually received back the unworkable, useless RDS-TMC unit, but without the packaging that I sent with it, so I cannot even take it back to the shop!
My point is, no matter how many new innovations Tomtom come up with I am loath to have any more dealings with this company, or for that matter another company that treats its customers with such contempt!
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC works fine for me, I just plugged it in and it worked. What I'm not sure is how the information compares with the info I get through my mobile phone and TomTom, I'm assuming that updates more often. Are they from the same source?
I'm very pleased with my 920. (Thanks Amazon for getting it to me in 20 hours and at a decent price!). It even takes me the most sensible way for my most common journeys, it used to route me to the roundabout on the M1 J28 to get on the A38 going south, which was ridiculous because of the lights, now it takes me the sensible way.
Doug
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
TMC works fine for me, I just plugged it in and it worked. What I'm not sure is how the information compares with the info I get through my mobile phone and TomTom, I'm assuming that updates more often. Are they from the same source?

They are from the same source, iTIS in the UK.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
DougWeller wrote:

They are from the same source, iTIS in the UK.

Thanks, that's useful info as when I use it I'll use TMC -- for some reason I can't get TomTom traffic on my phone.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:

Thanks, that's useful info as when I use it I'll use TMC -- for some reason I can't get TomTom traffic on my phone.

What problems are you having that you cant get traffic. If your phone is compatible give a brief description and we might be able to help.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to leave for the US now anyway. It's a Nokia Navigator, given to me by Vodafone so has Vodafone settings hardwired, now on O2. Packet data works on O2 now by default though so I don't know what the problem is.
Thanks.
Doug
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: TT920 Traffic Reply with quote

lostinuk wrote:
I am using TT Navigator 5 on an XDA Mini S, with TT Traffic. My traffic subscription is GPRS based not RDS. Is the 920 rds, and if so how does this compare with gprs. Thanks!

The data is the same, the reception is the issue and your success rate will vary depending on your geographical location.

I can say that the latest RDS-TMC receiver that is shopped with this (and which we were testing for some months prior) is very much better than earlier versions. It is still far from perfect but much much better.

The data itself is supplied by iTIS in the UK who also supply the Tomtom TRAFFIC GPRS service data so is identical.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: