Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you be prepared to pay for premium Ordnance Survey POIs?
Nothing, I am happy with the supplied POIs
3%
 3%  [ 27 ]
Nothing, POIs should be free
35%
 35%  [ 285 ]
£1.00 per category download
6%
 6%  [ 55 ]
£5.00 to download all POIs
15%
 15%  [ 123 ]
£10.00 annual subscription to download when I want
39%
 39%  [ 321 ]
Total Votes : 811

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you... Reply with quote

Ordnance Survey POIsThe Ordnance Survey has over 4,000,000 POIs geocoded with extended information such as address and phone number. These are categorised in three(or four) level hierarchy: Category (10); Sub Category (49); Detailed Category (over 600); (and Branding). These cover all aspects of stationary geographical features from petrol stations and shops to the more esoteric electricity pylons and railway crossings. The OS dataset covers just about everything with the exception of CCTV cameras and (fortunately for us) Speed Cameras.

Is the Ordnance Survey POI data useful to consumers rather than corporates? And how much is a reasonable cost to access and use it?

This was something that we were not too sure about. For one thing the data would not be free, it is commercial data that has a cost associated with the collection, collation, classification, verification and distribution. Having made the assumption that there will be a charge for the data we then have the issues of the charging model and data protection.

So now here is your chance to influence the Ordnance Survey and help them formulate a plan to release this data for use by the general public. Complete the poll to have your say and let the OS know how you might use the POI datasets and how much (if anything) you would be prepared to pay for them.

Click here to read the article
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about that?? I'm the first to vote!! When I was a kid, we used to write in each other's autograph book "By Hook or by Crook, I'll be first in the Book" only I never was, so it's great to be it here!!!!

Anyway, I've voted £10 annual, download anything, any time, which is the same as the cameras here.

There's no way I'd ever use 4 million, so I'd only use a selection (if any at all). Of our POIs, I have only used about half a dozen - it's just not my bag. I downloaded when I wanted them and next time I looked they had updated so I needed to download again. I'd tend to regard OS maintained POI database in the same light as "our" cameras, reliable because we're good at it and the OS strikes me as good at stuff.

But I bet they'll have similar piracy concerns to us and £10 is very little to pay (lose) to pirate all that lot.

I think I'd want to see a sample to judge the accuracy though.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to believe that 99.99% of us are honest and would happily pay a fair price for a useful tool.

Generally its the same with those simple but useful apps you get on your PC, if you like it, it you want to get rid of the adverts or it times out you pay the small fee to get registered.

And generally when registered most decent developers offer support like free updates or at least free minor versions and discounted major upgrades.

People will always pirate software but usually don't benefit from the advantages of being registered
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted the £10 as well, it seems to be a database that you would constantly be looking into like yellow pages.

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
I think I'd want to see a sample to judge the accuracy though.

If Ord' Survey can't get there own headquarters in the correct place, accuracy would be a worry, some of the existing POI's used on this site seem to be way off target, i can live with it when they are free, but if paying, this would defeat the whole object of using them.

With four million POI's (and growing) it would be impossible to use all these classifications to their full use unless fully clued up with requirements before going out, it would work better when we are able to add them to the satnav on-line, when required and whilst in the car, so this could be more use on the next generation of satnav's.

It does look good for work related POI's especially when Companies add in their own (like a phone book), there is going to be a lot of info here.

We will need to be cautious, as we all know to many POI's installed = one duff satnav!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Spideog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the OS not a government agency rather than a private company? Therefore UK tax payers have already paid for the data once so why would it not be free.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if OS should not do deals with the SatNav companies - ie instead of using Navteq / TeleAtlas' data for the UK, they should use the OS data instead. Of course, regular updates (directly available to the end customer) would be useful. With such a deal, surely the logical thing is to build the £5 / £10 into the cost of the SatNav unit (like it is happening with some TMC devices), to avoid the end customer being upset at further charges once they have bought the unit.

Of course, going the other way (sponsored advertising paying for the POIs) would be even worse...
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a cheepskate so I voted for FREE STUFF. Very Happy

Ultimatly it would depend on the subjuect matter as if it were company listings then o/s could get funding from the companies being listed e.g. petrol stations, garden centers, theme parks, restuants, hotels. These in turn would pay for the rest. e.g. rest stops, parks, lakes, car parks.

If they then had some unique subject specific data then maybe charging would be apropriate, as it would be of more scientific, or business related information which is again where the money is.

Otherwise look it up on google before you leave! Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than be a cheapskate I voted for the £10 option, as it will only enhanse what were already have and should have a much higher percentage of acuracy.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple really. Ordnance Survey is funded by government, as a UK taxpayer I have already paid for this information. I don't see the government reducing my taxes when they sell this valuable information to companies, therefore I see no reason why I should be expected to pay for a second, or even third, time for something that is the property of all UK citizens.

Did that contain the correct amount of bile and irritation? If not I'll have to make my opinion clearer still.

Brian
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I'm with the 45% bunch as it stands at the moment. £10 seems very little to pay for what I would expect to be, accuracy. I wonder how regularly, these POIs are updated? Didn't spot it in the report. I would only probably use the accommodation and eating places but it would still be worth it. We will also have to remember the memory limitations on some of the GPS devices around at the moment too. If nothing else, I suspect this will be a popular report to vote on. Wink

PS
Quote:
Ordnance Survey is funded by government, as a UK taxpayer I have already paid for this information.

Do you expect to get your OS maps free then? Wink
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the poll should be altered.

It ought to have a section called "it's already our data, we've already paid for it" and If the poll doesn't have that option then, in my opinion, it's a sham poll which won't serve any useful purpose for the end user.
NJSS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think that data of this nature, collected at the tax payers' expense since the days of Captain Cook should be free to UK taxpayers.

I see no reason why those who do not pay UK tax should have this information without charge, so maybe one should have to input one's NI number to download free POIs?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spideog wrote:
Is the OS not a government agency rather than a private company? Therefore UK tax payers have already paid for the data once so why would it not be free.

Welcome Spideog

I agree with your opinion and others here. The British taxpayer paid for this data to be collected so it should be given to them for free. The big map companies which licence this data pay a pittance for it anyway...
RTS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow the argument that we have paid for the POI and other mapping data already then logically electronic copies of OS maps should also be free! As it is - to purchase the full set of OS 1:25,000 scale (pathfinder) maps for the UK would cost an arm and a leg (which would make pointing out scenic views and getting over stiles rather difficult!). In truth the OS (like many government funded bodies) is probably well underfunded to achieve its business plan. The more people who can afford to 'contribute' to the excellent work done by the OS will undoubtedly enhance their service PROVIDED the government does not get on the gravy train and reduce funding in proportion to their income. OH WELL - I guess we will always be between a rock and a hard place. Roll on the General Election when we can ditch this bunch of namby pamby - nanny state freeloaders for a government with guts and a policy which doesn't remove personal freedoms!
Bukton
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree the members that say OS data should be free, there is an extra cost in providing these data to every one. There should be what I call an 'administrative fee' of £10 annual subscription. After all, we pay TV licence to the BBC and we pay to have their merchandise.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: