Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom slow to update position if you are walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom slow to update position if you are walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shilcor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom slow to update position if you are walking Reply with quote

I use Tom Tom Mobile Version 5.200 on my Nokia 6680 phone with a Bluetooth GPS receiver and it's great in the car but I find that if I use it while walking around, it is very slow to update it's position. When initially started it shows my current location accurately but when I'm walking it can take several minutes before it thinks I've moved anywhere. This is a bit of a pain and makes it almost worthless for walking navigation. Is there any way to speed up the positon update when I'm moving slowly? When using it in the car it seems to update quickly enough so it must be related to the speed that I'm moving at.
I also have Tom Tom 6 running on my HP 2210 and that seems a lot better (same Bluetooth GPS receiver). On my phone if I sit displaying the GPS status screen the position just doesn't change for a while and then jumps when it finally does update yet bluetooth comms and GPS lock remain all the time so it seems to be Tom Tom Mobile not processing any position updates from the GPS regularly for some reason.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your GPS receiver have a setting for turning off (or on) 'static wandering'. (Having a senior moment here - can't recall the correct terminology.

Anyhow the result is: if it is on then car speeds are fine and it prevents the slight wandering that sometimes happens when you are at rest. BUT the way it works also renders the device less than useful for walking. It will only update for fairly large changes in position (?200 meters). You should be able to turn this option off for walking. To be honest it's not much of a problem when navigating in the car to have it set off. Have a search through these forums for further info.
shilcor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
Interesting possibility but if this "feature" is turned on I'd have thought it would perform the same with both my Tom Tom setups but it seems to be OK on TT6 with my iPaq, only a problem with TT5.2 on my phone.
I'll look into it though and thanks for the reply.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
'static wandering'. can't recall the correct terminology.

"Static Navigation" (SN) is the phrase you are searching for. Smile

The GPS position jitters around by 30 feet or more, even when you are standing still so what some receivers (ie ones based on the SiRF chipset) do is lock the position and ignore the jitters until you make a decisive move in one direction or you move at a fairly fast speed (say less than 5mph).

As philpugh says this is fine in the car but hopeless on foot.

I think Memory Map do a small utility that you can use to switch SN on and off on GPS receivers which use the SiRF chipset. I don't know if it will run on your phone or if it's compatible with your GPS unit though - maybe someone else can comment or do a forum search/Google to see if you can find out more!

Good luck!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
philpugh wrote:
'static wandering'. can't recall the correct terminology.

"Static Navigation" (SN) is the phrase you are searching for. Smile

Thanks! Wandering and navigation are usually the same thing to me!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning SN off and on....

WinFast Navigator (if you can find a copy) will do this from a PDA device.

SiRFDemo /SiRFDemoPPC does something similar for PC and/or PDA [Edit start - to correct info] Only the PC version offers the ability to change Static Navigation [Edit end]

There is a link here for some Symbian based technique - probably need to install a Python interpreter on your 6680 to acheive this. Note that the code from this page contains the embedded BT ID - i.e. it will only work on the author's BT GPS. You would need to replace the ID value with your unit's BT ID. I've done some Python development for my 6680 and N80 - not a trivial exercise IMHO.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you do with Winfast? It should be on your downloads page (according to your instructions).

Alan
shilcor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers. I downloaded the SiRFDemoPPC application as it looked handy but having installed it on my HP2210 it refuses to connect to my Bluetooth GPS receiver (A Holox BT-321) even though my other applications (TT6 and Anquet Maps) are happy to use it (they connect on Bluetooth COM Port 8). Every time I try to get SiRFDemo to connect, the blue LED on my BT-321 receiver flashes as if it's trying to talk to it and then the application pops up a panel that said it failed to open the COM port.
I've tried connecting to the receiver via Bluetooth Manager BEFORE starting the application but if I do that, SiRFDemo still says it's not connected, even though the PDA and GPS are clearly talking to each other. Then when I click "connect" it pops up the same panel about not being able to connect to the port and the connection between the PDA and GPS is dropped.
***UPDATE****
After reading the manual for my BT-321 it appears that it doesn't use the SiRF chipset! However, I found another utility called VisualGPSce that does work with it. If anyone's interested, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/default.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: