Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
xspartx wrote:
Have they disabled this feature now?
Doesn't seem to offer me the option.
There's no option per se, if you have the .wav file in the same directory with exactly the same filename as the .bmp and .csv then it should "just work". However, no one has yet confirmed whether the released 2.4.1 version has WAV support...

Thanks for that. Just to confirm I now have it working. I had to use a .mp3 file not a .wav file. Everthing else was as you said.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xspartx wrote:
I had to use a .mp3 file not a .wav file. Everthing else was as you said.
That seems to support my view that 2.4.1 does not include WAV support, which is a shame.
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more:

1. Alarm clock
2. Louder speaker
3. TT like detour function
rabtt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability for the 310D to show my phone book contacts in the same order as I have them in my phone and NOT in that stupid 'last name first' way it does .. Evil or Very Mad

Especially annoying for book entries, such as "Mum & Dad" .. it shows in the nuvi as "& Dad Mum". So all my "&" entries are at the start and I've to trawl through them!! Another anomaly - entry "Simon (garage)" shows as "garage Simon" .. very annoying!!
ukantuna
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
johnwallis wrote:
free contour map of the uk??
Do you have a source or a link please.
See Here

The maps have moved to a new location on that site.
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This unit is not cheap and as such we deserve to have real improvements via firmware upgrades - alas this is not happening for the most part. Here is my hit list. Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything Rolling Eyes

- Support for WMA files on the MP3 player (pretty poor not have this these days)

- better layout of button shortcuts (e.g. 2 clicks to turn off/on voice / bongs; option to look at TMC status without needing to go into hidden menus; is not good)

- actually keeping up with your position when in non predefined navigation mode. This is very poor and depite numerous "resets" the unit still does not keep up.

- ability to search all POI's in one go rather than having to search both the inbuilt and the custom POI's seperately.

- Allowing POI's with speed data to be directional as the Cyclops DB is (purposely crippling features that can work to give their own camera database an unfair advantage is deplorable)

- A traffic TMC system that actually works properly - proper aerial, faster, reliable.

- A mapping algorithm that allows users to avoid small "c" roads and single track lanes rather than sending you down them because the are "60" - try doing 60 down most of them and you'll most likely be dead. Come on garmin it is possible - you know it is.

- bluetooth support for more phones and the removal of the awful quality (echo's etc).

- developers that actually interface with the support desk and put into action customer requests (see above and all the previous posters) into the existing product via firmware fixes rather than putting all ther development effort into the next (50% useful due to the bugs) product.

- a detour/avoid function that is more configurable

- ability to add multiple via points in a route

- ability to allow POI's to have diallable phone numbers easily as tjhey do in the inbuilt POI's (purposely crippling features that can work to give make people lose faith!!)

- Switch on the FM transmitter on the UK models. I suspect that it is in there despite what garmin say.

- A better simulator that goes more than 15 MPH. Bit of a slog if you want to simulate a long route

- for garmin to strive to meet/exceeed customer expectations so they are customers for life rather than for 1 product !!!

Ahhh that's better - I can feel the stresses of the day just melting away......
eagleye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are my pet peeves about my Nuvi 670 which is, in many ways, less advanced than my 2 yr old Magellan:
1) calculate fastest time, shortest distance, most use of hws, least use of hws and display actual (not as the crow flies) distance and estimated elapsed time and allow to view entire route BEFORE I picke one of them
2) Auto-shutoff (or sleep mode?) when idle for x minutes
3) Add FF and RW to MP3 player
4)show POIs on map (like my magellan). Touch a POI and get routed there
5) Since the Nuvi imported my address book:
A) WHY did it import only one of the phone numbers for my contacts?
B) WHY did it not also import the ADDRESS? Hello?
C) WHY can't I ROUTE from my address book?
D) Why no option to sync address book with phone since things change?
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nuvi needs to be able to save multiple routes with multiple waypoints/vias.

Without that, the nuvi is brain dead and does not meet my needs. I'll never get one without those easily implemented features. I'd get one in a heartbeat if those features were present.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleye wrote:

5) Since the Nuvi imported my address book:
A) WHY did it import only one of the phone numbers for my contacts?

A/ I get all numbers transferred to my 660 from both my Nokia N80 and Nokia 6680 phones. Appears in the Phone Book as "Person A 2 Numbers" when you touch this you can select either (in this case) to dial. perhaps the very variable BT support is to blame here?
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the traffic delays to be displayed on the maps - how it used to be.

Also an indication on the map view if traffic data is being received.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
I would like the traffic delays to be displayed on the maps - how it used to be.

Also an indication on the map view if traffic data is being received.

They've been doing that in Tokyo for years.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a lot of people will finally get their wish. Me included.

Nuvi 7xx supports multiple waypoints in a route and can save routes
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether this would be a firmware upgrade or a mapping upgrade, but I would like to see the motorway junction numbers shown on the screen. I struggle to remember which junction number aligns with which locatio. Bit of a struggle when the radio traffic reports says "delays between junctions 23 & 25, and you don't know where they are geographically.
tazz
morgad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One simple request -

an option to display arrival time as a relative value
(e.g. arriving in 34 minutes, instead of arriving at 21:05)

Dave
Alsone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Better routing software - more road type awareness when calculating route

- Specifically an update is needed to discriminate between the size of road as well as the speed limit when routing.

Recently when I was in Newquay, Cornwall I wanted to get to St. Merryn near Padstow from Newquay itself.

HERE

My Nuvi 660 sent me up the B3276 coast road which although a road on which the National Speed Limit applies (60mph), is very narrow and windey and often only one car wide with the result that my speed was nearer 20 mph for most of the way and sometimes only 2 or 3 mph when it was very narrow. My car a 4x4 was put at risk of an accident due to the very close 1 mph passes required and took some scratches from the hedgerows. It took me 40 minutes to arrive despite selecting the "Fastest Route".

Luckily I know Padstow so when I arrived in St. Merryn, for the return journey I ignored the Nuvi and drove towards Padstow (the "wrong" direction), the joined the A39 back to Newquay. Result 60mph all the way and an easy 15 minute journey.

So the Garmin selected the "Fastest" route based on speed limit not road type and the result was a nightmare journey up a road only 1 car wide and that was 25 minutes longer than it should have been.

I also had a similar experience when trying to get to Porthleven.

2. The Pin Number Software has Errors

I have numerous problems trying to enter the pin n umber into my Nuvi. Often I enter it correctly (the keypad is correctly calibrated for positioning) but the Nuvi says its incorrect and locks me out for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes on pressing enter nothing happens and when you repress you get the same. I'm finding that I need to enter my pin number 2 or 3 times everytime I turn the unit on to gain access.

3. Free Mapping Updates

Ok I know this might be new and controversial for the Sat Nav industry but why don't we get free updates especially as you can spend £400 on a sat nav only to have the maps useless the very next day due to road layout changes. In my home town, Sheffield, they've now built a new inner ring road and blocked off many old roads rendering sat nav totally useless. In Cornwall, on the new A30 extension I was recently driving through fields according to my Nuvi!!!!

If you buy a £400 PC, Microsoft give you free updates to their software. The only time you have to buy a new pc is when a new verion of Windows is out with new features and you want the additional features. So why is it when you spend £400 on a Sat Nav, you have to then spend another £90 or so everytime the maps change which is all the time. Surely if PC manufacturers can supply free updates why can't Sat Nav Companies?

The only time you should need to pay more money having spent your £400 is if the companies bring out a new model with additonal features and you decide you want it. Mapping updates for existing units should be free just as software updates are for pcs.

4. Better Turning Warnings / Countdowns

I recently went to St. James Hospital Leeds from Sheefield up the M1. When I turned off the motorway, I found myself taking the wrong turning about 4 times in a row at one point and having to head South to London and then back North to Leeds. I also had several problems elsewhere in the city. Why? Because the turning warnings were insufficient. The unit simply said turn left in 0.1 miles. Apart from the fact that the average person doesn't know what 0.1 miles looks like, there was the fact that in Leeds where I was, there were 5 or 6 left turns all in a hundred yards, all being minor roads. This left an impossible choice between which road to choose and judging which road was 0.1 miles from the warning point especially as sometimes the unit lags slightly when saying distances.

What is really needed here is "take the 3rd turning on your left" then a countdown. ie. Take the 2nd turning on your left, take the next turning on your left.

As it was a "turn left" in 0.1 mile was impossible to decipher so with so many roads to choose from.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: