Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC Mark 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC Mark 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC Mark 2 Reply with quote

I recently purchase the New TomTom RDS-TMC, at the time my car was in for accident repair, I tried the TMC at Hopme and it worked fine. picked up 101.1 with no problem (I live in the North West).
When I got my car back (a Peugeot 307) the TMC was useless in the car. The problem - the car has and Athermic windscreen (UV Coated). So it has now gone back for refund (Amazon).
Hope this post will give a guide to people thinking of buying a TMC.

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem in my Z4 M Coupe. I suspect the windscreen is athermic, but I can't see that it is (usually they're blue).

However, I relocated the antenna so that instead of being an inch away from the A-pillar it runs right up the A-pillar. I even managed to tuck the cable between the pillar and the windscreen. And now it works fine. I suspect the coating doesn't extend to the edges, because that's where all the glue has to be stuck on to attach the windscreen to the car.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a little too hasty to give up on the RDS device as iTIS the data provider are in the process of increasing the transmitter network and Winter Hill should be switched on soon.
This will give a welcome boost to the RDS-TMC signal coverage in the NW corner of the UK.
The hire car I was using this week had the dreaded athermic glass but the RDS worked very well for me, just about the same as my own Volvo (without the coated glass), but I would have liked to have seen an exernal aerial socket on the latest version of the RDS-TMC sadly this opertunity was not taken - Mike
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the lack of antenna socket is a bummer, particularly as nearly every car already has an external antenna suitable for receiving FM broadcasts.
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Lost oportunity Reply with quote

As a reply to Carl_w, I must asmit I did not try to tuck it in the Windscreen Pillar. Perhaps I missed a chance, I have a Traffic Subscription till March and I also use Trafficmaser. I now may wait another couple of months and after Mikes remarks I may give it another try. Let's hope that reports on the new TMC keep on coming in.

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
NRG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Tomtom traffic 720 December 4th 2007 Update from New user Reply with quote

have the 720T. Used the traffic receiver first time today 4th December 2007 on a trip to Plymouth. It struggled to get a connection, did a couple of times briefly but no information came down.

Set off back the next day and I got a green circle (connected) immediately but no info until I got to Bristol when it popped up that there was a lane closure on the M4 with a 12 mile tailback adding 3 hours,

Blimey I thought thats good, showed me a map and everything, I was about to re-route when I saw a Motorways sign confirming it but it said delay 30 minutes??? 3 hours?? 30 Minutes?

As it was the first traffic notifcation I decided to risk it and check and I got to Junc 15 in about 25-30 minutes, gritting my teeth expecting the worst... yes there was a lane closure and I went through at 70mph, no queue for 12 yards never mind 12 miles, delay? NONE!

So my first venture proved to be not only incorrect but ridiculously incorrect so right at this moment I have to say it seems absolutely worthless so I would caution first anyone thinking about spending £50 on it.

I bought it with the tomtom so was much cheaper but Im wondering now if Ive wasted that money?

If anyone has had a more positive experience I would love to hear about it

Cheers

NRG
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look untill TT sort out their Trafic info data updates properly and get the facts correct they are ruining what could be a realy usefull part of a TT. There is nothing wrong with the way it should work (if you can get it to find a signal). BUT for now they are selling something that is at best useless and cannot be relyed upon AT ALL.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: