Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nikon D300 and D3 GPS enabled cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nikon D300 and D3 GPS enabled cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Nikon D300 and D3 GPS enabled cameras Reply with quote

Nikon D300 GPS CameraDear Santa, I have been good this year Smile please can I have a new Nikon D300 for Xmas?

A couple of months ago Nikon announced the latest in their range of Digital SLR cameras, the D3 and D300. These are targeted at the top of the range with a price tag of £3400 for the D3 (yes that is three thousand) and a slightly more affordable £1300 for the D300.

Today and tomorrow Nikon are putting on the Nikon Solutions roadshow where they are proudly displaying not just the D3 and D300 but also the full range of Nikkor lenses and lots of other accessories as well. Apart from the shiny, expensive hardware they are also running a series of seminars helping photographers get more from their imaging workflows. The most interesting feature here was the total lack of wet film... Everything was digital.

Click here to read how Nikon integrate GPS into their cameras...
pdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems quite an oversight not to build a GPS chip into the camera. I wonder what their reasons were? - Cost? power management ? Scope for user preference?

Paul
MidNightMapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a Bluetooth GPS conection to your Nikon DX200, Nikon 300, or high-end Fuji SLR via Blue2CAN for Nikon SLRs

Need to post your geotagged images on Google Earth? Try Red Hen IsWhere a free Google Earth geotag solution.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdriver wrote:
It seems quite an oversight not to build a GPS chip into the camera. I wonder what their reasons were? - Cost? power management ? Scope for user preference?

Paul

I think we are a little way off from this yet. I expect nobody wants to be the first and get it wrong... When you pay £1300 or £3400 for a camera you (rightfully) expect it to work perfectly.

It may be that the GPS camera phones and the community image blogging sites will lead the way, then the PRO cameras will follow on from that. I do know that some of the GPS chip makers have been in discussions with the mainstream camera companies, but it is all hush hush at the moment and no names are mentioned.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricoh already have a GPS equipped tough camera out, the 500SE.

It was tested in a group test on the Gadget Show and didn't do well at all, especially as it leaked when tested in a swimming pool and it is supposed to be waterproof!

It's not an SLR but at £700 it ain't a bargain basement camera either.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why a GPS chipset cannot be included. A GPS chip is not exactly big, or expensive. Certainly not when compared to a £3000 camera. A small built-in antenna would suffice, although they could have a standard antenna socket on the body to connect an external one for improved reception. A small addition to the display showing if it has no fix, 2d or 3d and the number of sats in view should suffice.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's a technical issue, more that as yet they haven't perceived a demand for it.

Even on the D300 the port isn't specifically for GPS, GPS is just one of the uses that have been conjured up for it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The drawback here is that the interface cable is $99 or £50 and presents a standard serial interface, most modern GPS systems are using USB nowadays..

Some people may also comment that most modern GPS systems are using Bluetooth these days. ;)

A camera which costs £1300 (body only) you do wonder why it doesn't have Bluetooth, Wifi and GPS built-in. Hey - a lot of phones have it nowdays so why not semi-professional cameras too?

Hell, with a 3 inch LCD on the camera it would be ideal for running TomTom on.

OK - I'll get my coat. Stop!
pdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Bluetooth is a short term fix and that in the near future GPS will be completely embedded in the circuitry of many of everyday consumer devices.

My HPC Kaiser phone AKA the T-Mobile MDA3 has a GPS chip, as does the much earlier Orange M700, each of which double up as cameras, not to mention, remarkable SatNav devices.

If nothing else, I would have thought that Google Earth Panoramio and Gigapan technologies are really good excuses for professional not to mention amateur GPS cameras. BTW Gigapan will be massive.

I fully believe that within 3-4 years all new cameras will be gps enabled.

------------------------------------------
Can somebody fix my avitar please.
Viking9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a keen amateur photographer who likes to take photos I'd rather the money was spent on features that I need in a camera. Whilst knowing the exact coordinates that a photo was taken from may be of use to a limited number of camera users, such as surveyors, archaeologists and such-like, most keen photographers find that the general location is good enough.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viking9 wrote:
As a keen amateur photographer who likes to take photos I'd rather the money was spent on features that I need in a camera. Whilst knowing the exact coordinates that a photo was taken from may be of use to a limited number of camera users, such as surveyors, archaeologists and such-like, most keen photographers find that the general location is good enough.

Hoorah, I'd thought I was alone on this one! It's a feature that is a long way down my list of must haves. I honestly can't see the point of myself!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have 10s of thousands of pictures, and sometimes I can only remember the general location, but want to find the exact location a picture was taken. Maybe I am unusual, but this is something I have been striving to achieve for a number of years now, and slowly it is coming to the marketplace.

I do agree with you that the image taken is the most important thing, but in our world of data overload location data certainly doesnt hurt. Anyway unless you have a decent image library application like Apple's Aperture then a lot of the additional information is not of any value.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I know it was taken in Corfu, Paris, Hong Kong etc then that's as much info as I need. I don't need to know 'exactly' where.

TBH if the picture is that vague that I can't recall where then I don't need to keep it ;)
pdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, features that enhance picture quality or improve usability are probably more important to many people especially 'photographers'.

I was really just making the point that knowing where the picture was taken is a logical next step. After all, most cameras already record the date and time don’t they?

Being able to upload a picture a to public image library and for it then to be automatically geocoded will be an incredibly useful feature. Am I the only person who, when planning a trip or holiday, turns to google earth to have a look at pictures of the area or even the hotel I plan to stay in?

For navigation applications with tracks and waypoints; why not have pictures too. The benefits seem obvious.

It is not so much the owner of the information that benefits, but rather the community that shares it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viking9 wrote:
As a keen amateur photographer who likes to take photos I'd rather the money was spent on features that I need in a camera.

Welcome Viking9

That's an interesting comment by Darren and Viking9. I can't help but wonder which features you guys are talking about. Bearing in mind that bluetooth, GPS or WiFi would cost about £20 to add to a camera, Which features would you rather that they spent the money on? Confused

As for "features that you need", I could show you 20 features that I don't need on my SLR! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: