Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i don't think the awards are for the website

Sorry, perhaps it was badly worded, I meant the Active 10!

Question

kidstypike
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:
Quote:
i don't think the awards are for the website

Sorry, perhaps it was badly worded, I meant the Active 10!

Question

kidstypike
do u have an active 10, in my opinion its a fantastic piece of kit .im also sure in the very near future the website including online planner will be fully implemented.
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do u have an active 10, in my opinion its a fantastic piece of kit .im also sure in the very near future the website including online planner will be fully implemented.

No, I've not got one yet, not until they sort the problems out!

Freeze-ups, poor battery performance, unwanted snail trails, inability to upload routes from PC, (says you can on their website), inability to save tracks to a PC for later viewing. All award winning stuff, don't you think?

kidstypike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am most impressed with the device, having used it on a couple of long(ish) walks and on one occasion in very poor conditions I have to say it is a great device, and nowhere near as bulky as a PDA plus Otter box. Excellent battery life, onboard compass etc this is well thought out and works in the field - try using a PDA and stylus with very cold hands at the top of a long ascent and you will soon know what I mean, the active 10's controls can still be used in these conditions, even with thick gloves on.
For route planning I look forwards to the online system, but to be honest planning an 11 mile hike only takes a few minutes on the device, it isn't difficult at all - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:
Quote:

Freeze-ups, poor battery performance, unwanted snail trails, inability to upload routes from PC, (says you can on their website), inability to save tracks to a PC for later viewing. All award winning stuff, don't you think?

kidstypike

Ok...pop off to the Road Angel thread then....we'll stay here and keep the place warm Wink
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:
Quote:

kidstypike

Despite all the bugs, the Active 10 comes closer to what many UK hillwalkers have been hankering-after than anything else on the market to date. Yes, it's a gamble for us early adopters, because SatMap is a small, independant UK start-up company, but if they can keep their head above water and continue to develop the product, iron-out the glitches and expand the functionality (e.g. with online route planner and sync software) then their product has the potential to become the GPS of choice for UK outdoor enthusiasts. My personal experience with the hardware and the testomonials on this forum for the company's attitude to customer service lead me to believe that, with a bit of luck, SatMap could do great things....
michael100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lucevans"]
kidstypike wrote:
Quote:

No, I've not got one yet, not until they sort the problems out

kidstypike

I agree it is a fantastic bit of kit. I suspect complaints /worries about downloading maps and routes from a PC are people who are comming from Garmin or Magellan kit where all you have on the screen is a series of waypoints and a snail trail and you need the map on the PC.
There is no substitute for planning and seeing the map on screen as you go either walking or cycling.
Once the power supply issues are sorted it will be the GPS of choice for outdoors provided Satmap can sell enough units and maps to cover their costs
I am comming from trying to use an Ipaq / Navman4410/ M Map/ Otterbox to achieve the same result without success so these are now available for a very modest sum ! Such is the price of progress
So go on go buy one
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree it is a fantastic bit of kit. I suspect complaints /worries about downloading maps and routes from a PC are people who are comming from Garmin or Magellan kit where all you have on the screen is a series of waypoints and a snail trail and you need the map on the PC.
There is no substitute for planning and seeing the map on screen as you go either walking or cycling.
Once the power supply issues are sorted it will be the GPS of choice for outdoors provided Satmap can sell enough units and maps to cover their costs
I am comming from trying to use an Ipaq / Navman4410/ M Map/ Otterbox to achieve the same result without success so these are now available for a very modest sum ! Such is the price of progress
So go on go buy one

You know, I really, really, really, wanted one of these units, but I got sick of waiting for SatMap and the ridiculous way they went about keeping us informed about the product.

So I purchased a Garmin Legend Cx with Topo maps, it's good, but it's not OS 1:25000.

But the main thing that irks me, is having to pay ridiculous amounts of money for maps that I have already purchased, (in other formats) and that I will only be able to see on a 3.5" screen.

When Anquet first appeared, I paid £240 for the whole of Great Britain at 1:50,000, then when 1:25,000 maps appeared I switched to Tracklogs, because they appeared to offer better value in the way that they split the country up, they have had £560 of my money. Add £90 for Garmin's Mapsource Topo GB, and I just cannot put a value on the paper maps that I own, (and will still purchase).

OK, the online mapping may make up for not being able to view the contents of your SD card/s on your PC, but at the very least, if you have purchased say the Lake District at 1:25,000, then that mapping should be made available online. 1:50,000 mapping is not good enough to plan routes in unknown terrain.

At the moment, I can plan routes on Anquet, or Tracklgs software and send them to the Garmin Legend, via USB. If SatMap allows me to do this, AND irons out all the bugs, then yes, I will certainly get one!!!

kidstypike
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:

You know, I really, really, really, wanted one of these units, but I got sick of waiting for SatMap and the ridiculous way they went about keeping us informed about the product.

So I purchased a Garmin...

The overwhelming majority of us seem to think the A10 is a great product, (not could be, but actually is right now), supported by great service.

We also know (hope?) that Satmap keep tabs on this thread. Disparaging comments are hardly appropriate. They may reach a point where they simply stop reading! I know I would.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Active 10 is a great receiver for country walkers in the UK who treasure OS maps. That presumably is the intended market at present. If you are outside the design 'envelope' there are other GPS units that may be better suited. For example the Active 10 is not ideal for finding you way around a city by foot (or by car). Its sensitivity is such that you will lose reception in 'concrete jungles'; you would be better off with a Garmin Nuvi or CSx loaded with City Navigator software.

We all have concerns about some aspects of of the Active 10 performance but most of these niggles can be overcome with software updates. An upgrade in sensitivity may have to await the Active 11 (or whatever the next model will be called... should it appear). Meanwhile we have a piece of kit which gives us much pleasure (and the odd frustration).
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:
The Active 10 is a great receiver for country walkers in the UK who treasure OS maps. That presumably is the intended market at present. If you are outside the design 'envelope' there are other GPS units that may be better suited. For example the Active 10 is not ideal for finding you way around a city by foot (or by car). Its sensitivity is such that you will lose reception in 'concrete jungles'; you would be better off with a Garmin Nuvi or CSx loaded with City Navigator software.

We all have concerns about some aspects of of the Active 10 performance but most of these niggles can be overcome with software updates. An upgrade in sensitivity may have to await the Active 11 (or whatever the next model will be called... should it appear). Meanwhile we have a piece of kit which gives us much pleasure (and the odd frustration).

Well said!
martin_Lancs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Best price for Satmap Active 10 Reply with quote

Despite all the quibbles about the Satmap, there is nothing to touch it on the market (I already have a PDA with Memory Map & bluetooth GPS).

It seems to me that the killer features are specific design for walkers and battery life.

It is a shame that I won't be able to use my Memory Map maps on the unit, but that is more down to the fault of Ordnance Survey than anyone else - why don't OS sell their own digital mapping products on SD cards and let the manufacturers get on with producing hardware only devices? You would buy the maps from them and use them on whatever hardware device you choose.

For those who are looking for a good deal on the Satmap, the cheapest I have found it is at Fox's Outdoor for £269.99, which is a special pre-Christmas offer of 10% off all products (£3.95 next day delivery).
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted this thread last night and it made me chuckle....well the MM technical guy's first post anyway!!

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showtopic=10053

I can't imagine the people at MM really didn't know about a major competitor to their RoadAngel device Confused Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see the similarity between the RA7000 and the active 10 for a start you cannot enter a grid ref as a direct key entry like you can on Memory Map running on the PDA or the active 10 unit, this is a serious omission when you are out using it walking and change your mind or you are following a trail.

The design and shape of the two devices are miles apart, the RA7000 is a bit like going fell walking with a car based pod style satnav, it simply feels wrong - I did try one earlier this year.

A little strange the initial answer from MM though as I would have thought they would stay in touch with their competition - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Road Angel 7000 earlier in the year and it didn't excite me at all.....a lot of that was the 8 hour battery life which is pretty limiting for my personal needs...and made far worse for being built in. I've got 8 hours of 3 AA btteries and then had the option of putting in another 3....plus 8 hours will not always be 8 hours, after a lot of chargng up it will only be 6 or 4.

The other thing of course is that I would need to have bought V5 MM even though I have the 2003 version...I appreciate it has some new features (like seamless mapping for the 6 areas of the South GB map rather than having to swap between them in the Menu) but would actually get less mapping area than the 2003 and 2004 versions due to less favourable methods of creating boundaries.

I've had a read of the user manual.....it doesn't refer to Memory Map features in any way and see no feature in it I wish I had.

http://www.gps-speed.co.uk/road_angel_7000.pdf

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: