Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advanced Driving! About to take my test.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Driving! About to take my test.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home to see this now. I have it on good authority that he came up against a total plonker who hates VWs and Audis.

He'll pass next time - I'll lend him my Kangoo.

In the meantime, with his improved driving, at least we can all feel just a teeny bit safer when we're down his way.

Nil Carborundum Desperandum.

PS I think MaFt meant to say I was working.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better luck next time.

You'll just have to hope that next time:

1) it's dry

2) there's no observer

3) it's your lucky day
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning after: Sore.

Bad nights sleep I'm afraid, tossing and turning. So this morning I have by request sent a bit of feedback to IAM about my run with a request to get set up for a new run. However the reason for the feedback is the lack of constructive critisism I recieved and some confusing comments that were made re my driving.

I know I shouldn't dwell on these things but I need a bit of closure on this run, so I can get stuck into my next attempt.

Thanks again for all your kind words of support. I feel now that I need to pass this thing for all of you and for the good of the Empire. Very Happy

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
I know I shouldn't dwell on these things but I need a bit of closure on this run, so I can get stuck into my next attempt.

Sorry to hear that this time wasn't a pass, look on it, that you have still learnt more than you knew six months ago.

Glad to see the fighting spirit is back and you will get stuck in to the next attempt, go for it and good luck.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
One of which was that I failed to show progressive driving on a notoriously dangerous streach of road, whilst in the wet.

Hmm, how far below the speed limit were you? Confused

I reckon you should video and GPS tracklog the drive next time and get the examiner to talk you though it. That way you can get a second opinion too.

You should also remember that a lot of what the IAM teach is very much a subjective opinion and some of it is a patent load of nonsense. If you did as well as you did on the test, then you should consider that you are one of the better drivers out there. Smile
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Hmm, how far below the speed limit were you? Confused

About 20 mph below at times, as this was a fast as I deemed it safe to do. The examiner didn't accept that as an answer. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
I reckon you should video and GPS tracklog the drive next time and get the examiner to talk you though it. That way you can get a second opinion too.

Funny you should say that as I chucked my garmin edge into the back for doing just that, but then forgot to turn it on. I though it would be quite funny esp considering this is a gps site, for anyone to download my tracklog and see what I did on the test. Wink

A missed oppertunity for sure! Very Happy

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should also remember that a lot of what the IAM teach is very much a subjective opinion and some of it is a patent load of nonsense. If you did as well as you did on the test, then you should consider that you are one of the better drivers out there.

My thoughts exactly. I had a friend who had passed the IAM test and to be honest I didn't like travelling with him as a passenger.

Making progess? What a load of ......

IAM drives at 70 over a 70 mile run and takes an hour. I drive at 60 (not making progress) and arrive 10 minutes later. Less stressed, less wear and tear on the car, more miles per gallon and a shorter stopping distance required throughout the journey. It's even less than 10 minutes difference if getting to the motorway and to the destination when leaving the motorway is taken into account.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom.
I can say this because I'm the site's stupid old man and nobody can tell me off for it - that would be ageism and stupidism. Sooo......

Sore loser is not good, so stop it and move onward and upward. We all suffer disappointments in life (I shall not be greatly surprised if my numbers don't come up again tomorrow night) and dwelling on them will only turn you into a sour prat. That literally makes your face less lovely and your treatment of those around you more ugly.

Smile - you didn't crash your nice (?!!?) Audi, you've got a bunch of well-wishers on this website, maybe even some of your nearest and dearest too. Take comfort from the fact that you're a better driver than I - not a lot of people can say that!! We'll all be double rooting for you next time, so let this one dissolve away to oblivion.

In the meantime, start pestering pgpsw about when's the next Expo so that we can all get together and have a drink and a giggle. Cheers! Taunt

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In the meantime, start pestering pgpsw about when's the next Expo so that we can all get together and have a drink and a giggle. Cheers! Taunt

Ok I'll change my signature to something jolly tomorrow. But a when and where on the next expo is a must. Start the thread and I'll be there.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU were supposed to start the B thread! Evil or Very Mad

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
I chucked my garmin edge into the back for doing just that, but then forgot to turn it on.

A missed oppertunity for sure! Very Happy

Definitely! I think you should have failed your test on that point alone! Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostdom

Congratulations on all of your efforts and comiserations on the result of your test. Being a class 1 advanced Police driver, I know the pressures that you are under on test day. Don't let it get you down. You will have learned a valuable lesson and you can put it to good use next time.

The principal behind making maximum safe progress is a good one, although sometimes difficult to achieve. When I say difficult, I mean on a mental basos, than than physical. Anyone can drive to the speed limit or higher, but sometimes, trying to convince yourself that it is the right thing to do is where the difficulty lies. Confidence is all important but over-confidence is to be avoided at all costs. On a Police advanced course, the maximum safe progress would have put you perhaps 20 over the limit in those conditions rather than 20 under it.

Best of luck next time mate. Clap

DennisN

Glad to see you qualified that statement about you being 'on the job' when you called to find out the test result. After all phoning whilst on the job, would show compassion for your fellow forum user, well over and above the call of duty. Laughing

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a colleague about advanced driving, IAM etc and apparently, the IAM won't accept drivers who have points on their license - could anybody confirm this?

I have a clean license myself, but I can't help thinking that some drivers who have points on their licenses could, in fact, be the most likely to benefit from a little extra tuition, rather than being turned away
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. Convictions
If you’ve held a full UK driving licence for three months or more and you have no more than eleven penalty points, you
can prepare for the Advanced Driving Test, learn to save money and fuel - and ultimately contribute to road safety.
Please note, at the time of taking the test you must have no more than eight penalty points on your licence.
Any conviction received after the date of this application and prior to taking the IAM test must be advised to the Test
Department at IAM House prior to the test date.
The IAM and Group keep strictly confidential records of driving convictions and may write to a member about
convictions. This information and other personal information may be held in confidence in computer systems and is
never disclosed to any third party. By signing the application overleaf you agree to records being kept for this purpose.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
After all phoning whilst on the job, would show compassion for your fellow forum user, well over and above the call of duty. Laughing
There y'go Dom I do compassion for you over and blah, blah, blah. Ain't I just a nice sweet little old man?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: