Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL HD Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL HD Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john999boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: TomTom One XL HD Traffic Reply with quote

There appears to be a new TomTom about to be released which gets all its traffic data from Vodafone users. It will have an inbuilt SIM card so no need to pair it with your mobile or TMC receiver. No doubt there will be a subscription involved but at least it will be a truly 'all in one' device now!
Now it remains to be seen when all the other devices - 520/720 etc will get the same built in functionality. There is an add-on in development to enable them to get the HD service though.
Use this link for original info:-
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article2880406.ece
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw in a press release (dated 14th Jan) today that Tomtom will be working with Vodafone Germany to provide some of their HD services. Further into the same press release they plan to have the service available to 50% of there European customers by the end of 2008.

Does anyone know how this is progressing in the UK from when it was first announced around mid November other than the partnership already announced with Vodafone UK?
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any more information about these HD units?
Are they as good as they look?
When will they available in the UK?
I've seen prices mentioned of around £285, but a standard XL EU can be bought for £173, so I could buy that now and wait for the add on unit.
I would think this will be something like the Link 300 that TT use for the "Work" system. So long as that costs less than £112 I'm alright!!
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
tjosborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just been announced for France today so only a matter of time I would have thought. Will be great to have a more useable traffic solution.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Estimotion - owned by ITIS Reply with quote

Strangely enough the technology behind this seems to be source from Estimotion Ltd, an Israeli company, acquired by ITIS in 2003.

Presumably if they have a partnership with one or more mobile phone companies (and they already supply traffic data to them) they could use the mobile phone data to provide decent TMC data with no requirement for additional hardware in the sat-nav device!
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy3090 wrote:

Are they as good as they look?

I haven't seen any. Not even reviews of those that are up and running in the Netherlands, which i assume they are as they've been on sale since Nov 2007.

I'd have thought Tom tom would try to get as many mobile operators on side before they think about launching it as I guess to use the new devices throughout Europe, compatibility would need to be tested and in place with all network operators or at least one for each country.
I've read there expected to go live in the UK around April, and have coverage to 50% of Europe by the end of 2008.

According to Tom tom's original press release, the units were priced at €399 (£297) for the One XL Europe HD which includes the 12 month HD subscription and data charges.

Tommy3090 wrote:

I would think this will be something like the Link 300 that TT use for the "Work" system.

Not sure what the Link system is like, but the rumour I've read is that the HD Traffic add-on will be built in to a 12V power adaptor.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: