Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!! Reply with quote

Has MapShare been Hacked?

Last week (Sunday 11th) I was asked if I could check a section of the Main North Circular Road in West London that a Map Share Correction was showing as blocked in both directions.
The road was completely clear, but the worrying thing was that the blockage had been "verified by TomTom" (supposedly the most "trustworthy" level of correction.

Today, I wanted to travel into London on the A40 Western Avenue, only to find the TomTom sending me on a ridiculous route because a small section of the eastbound carriageway was supposedly blocked.
Once again this was totally wrong, and the "correction" only showed up if I had "verified by TomTom" ticked. This is one of the most important routes into London, there is no way this could be "verified".

What the HELL are TomTom up to??

Mapshare users will need to un-block the road again at N51.51417 W0.25248 between Kingsdown Avenue and Saint Andrews Road.
zebs
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed! How naff is that!!!

Only seems to be east bound though.

Would be really good to see a list of all map changes so they can be reviewed, and even choose to apply it or not!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy. You would think they would be a bit more careful before blocking an "A" road in to London! Mad
Pufin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of map share updates would be a good idea. But only locals would be able to confirm if the problem is genuine. And could the "locals" be the source of the problem? I can see anti road companers having a field day. Gun Shoot Out

Two TomTom 500's
App 7.161 GPS v1.21 Boot 4.8600 Map Western_Europe_1GB v710.1561
Installed on 2gig sd cards.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!! Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Mapshare users will need to un-block the road again at N51.51417 W0.25248 between Kingsdown Avenue and Saint Andrews Road.

Sorry, Andy, I haven't used block/unblock a road before, and would hate to do it wrong and cause more problems! Embarassed

Although I'm not likely to use that road presumably the more of us that unblock it via Mapshare the better, so could you take me through what I should do, please.

Thanks.
Samsung Galaxy S21
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pufin wrote:
A list of map share updates would be a good idea. But only locals would be able to confirm if the problem is genuine. And could the "locals" be the source of the problem? I can see anti road companers having a field day. Gun Shoot Out

The whole point of the options in mapshare should mean that this would be avoided. If I was using the unreliable options, I would expect that some locals would block their road if enough did this, but these changes are supposed to be confirmed by TomTom.

As a lowly user, I am now concerned that ALL the info being downloaded could be incorrect and I'd be better off just not using mapshare in the first place. Sad
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!! Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Although I'm not likely to use that road presumably the more of us that unblock it via Mapshare the better, so could you take me through what I should do, please.

Maybe Andy's gorn orff for a bit, so to save you waiting ... (this function works on my 720 Laughing )
Tap Map Corrections
Tap Correct a Map Error
Tap (Un)block street (quite possibly Reverse Traffic Direction might do it also)
Tap On Map
Tap Find
Tap Lat, Long
Enter N51.51417, then OK
Enter W0.25248, then OK
Zoom down to get a close look, then Tap Done.
You'll see that the eastbound carriageway has a red line running down the middle, which means you have selected the Eastbound carriageway, above the road the word "eastbound" has a red No Entry sign.
Tap the Eastbound word and the red no entry will change to a blue arrow pointing east. At the bottom, the westbound word will have a red no entry, to show that you can't travel west on an eastbound carriageway
Job done.

Worry not - the first time I tried this one way business I got it wrong and afterwards had to send another correction to put it right again. You'll find the direction words change to North and South where appropriate and I have not seen North East or North west etc yet.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A40 "Blocked" - Map Share is a Disaster!! Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Maybe Andy's gorn orff for a bit, so to save you waiting ... (this function works on my 720 Laughing )

Thanks for your clear instructions, Dennis. Done, and will be uploaded next time I connect to Home.

My question wasn't really directed exclusively to Andy, although I agree it appeared that way. I'm very grateful to anyone who can help me with the steep learning curve during my transition from the very simple i3 to the far more feature-packed GO720. And some of the features actually work when you know how!
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bad blocking is worrying. As a naiive old man I had my Mapshare settings to allow all corrections by everybody. I have now sadly gone to change them to accept only corrections I make myself and corrections verified by TomTom.

But Mapshare is dead in the water if TT are going to confirm this sort of stupidity. Here on this site, we are all able to submit details for speed cameras and those details have to be confirmed. A blocked road is just like a new fixed speed camera - it's not a "possible" thing, it's either there or not and when I go to verify a camera, it's unthinkable that I'll accept a camera which absolutely isn't there - a blocked road is far, far more obvious than a little yellow Gatso.

The only explanation I can think of is there have been quite a lot of roadworks, with temporary closures, on the A40 Western Avenue. That's no excuse, however. But I have a sinking feeling that somebody at TT is being a total numpty and putting in temporary roadworks traffic management as "permanent for cars".

I am horrified. What can we do about it - with TT, I mean? Frankly, I think this is something that calls for the big guns at PGPSW to go beating TT's door down. It's not enough for us to express horror in these or any forums.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pufin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, as a Taxi Driver who does a lot of long distance work, I need up to date info., I get too many time wasters as it is.

Tonight some Pratt rang up for a minibus to take them to Birmingham airport half hour before hand. Gets out of the door 30mm snow on the ground and snowing hard. Get to the pick up, no one has any idea of what I was talking about. Time wasters Twisted Evil

Two TomTom 500's
App 7.161 GPS v1.21 Boot 4.8600 Map Western_Europe_1GB v710.1561
Installed on 2gig sd cards.
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any wonder why I stick with my ttg 300!!! Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I have now sadly gone to change them to accept only corrections I make myself and corrections verified by TomTom.

But Mapshare is dead in the water if TT are going to confirm this sort of stupidity.

part of my annoyance is that you can have ALL of the "less trusty" options ticked and it is fine. It's only the "TomTom verified" option that gives the duff information.

Quote:
The only explanation I can think of is there have been quite a lot of roadworks, with temporary closures, on the A40 Western Avenue. That's no excuse, however. But I have a sinking feeling that somebody at TT is being a total numpty and putting in temporary roadworks traffic management as "permanent for cars".

According to my wife, there HAVE been some night only roadworks with possible temporary closures, but as you say, that's NO excuse!

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE
I have just connected up and let it do its Map Share download again.
The A40 Westway is now open again according to "verified by TomTom", so someone at TT is working the weekend....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at N 53.77595 W 1.47051 and check if the Access Roads are marked correctly!! Mine aren't. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any wonder why I stick with my ttg 300!!!

Or my i3... I did wonder when something like this might happen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: