Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well i didnt take the mini manual and did over half the walk before
I cottoned on to the fact that when IT asks you IF
you wish to view the map the RESPONSE should be NO.
Finger trouble :-((((

nonoftheabove,

Could you explain what you mean by this? If you select CANCEL instead of VIEW MAP, what does this change/do/improve?

Regards,

Richard
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Map Scale Reply with quote

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Hi All,

I have a general question to everyone here. I have purchased the 1:25K scale map for my county, but looking at the prices of maps etc. on the SatMap site this scale map is very expensive.

What I would like to know from you all is whether you think I could use the 1:50K scale map for general walking AND trips to the Lake District, Breacon Beacons etc, or do you think I should get the 1:25K scale? If you look at the prices for the Parks in 1:25K scale they are all £99.99, except the Cairngorms which is £124.99. Confused Confused Confused

Each of these cards come in the 1:25k and 1:50K scale, but you can buy a card which has ALL 20 park areas for £39.99, but it is only in the 1:50K scale.

I don't want to splash out £40 for a collection of areas on a card that is not really the scale I should use or be happy with, but then again I don't want to pay £100 for an area which I will not be walking every week. That said I don't really want to be taking paper maps with me for reference, as this unit is supposed to replace them.

I would appreciate peoples feed back on this concern so I can make an informed decission on what to buy.

To everyone, thanks for your advice and help in advance.

Regards,

Richard Rolling Eyes
Maco1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Scale Reply with quote

[quote="Yasack"]

What I would like to know from you all is whether you think I could use the 1:50K scale map for general walking AND trips to the Lake District, Breacon Beacons etc, or do you think I should get the 1:25K scale?

Hi Richard,
- a couple of thoughts;

OS 1:25k is definitely the best mapping for walking. To be able to follow the line of every dry-stone wall, stream beds etc is extremely satisfying and definitely adds to the pleasure of being in the Great Outdoors.

Although expensive, they cover a large a large, seamless area. This allows rapid (and as detailed as you could wish for) panning of an entire national park in a way which is not possible with paper maps.

Do you know anyone with an Active 10? Swapping/borrowing is a good idea - a mate of mine has a unit and I tried his Lakes card which works fine.

I'm spreading the cost of 1:25k mapping by just buying as and when I need it ie probably a couple per year. Because I live on the border of 3 counties one of my first maps was a customised job, with my village as the centre. (I do loads of bike rides out from home.)

Hope this helps!
Regards
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Map Scale Reply with quote

Yasack wrote:
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Hi All,

I have a general question to everyone here. I have purchased the 1:25K scale map for my county, but looking at the prices of maps etc. on the SatMap site this scale map is very expensive.

It's very difficult to advise you on what you should do as I'm a road going cyclist, not a walker. The thing that has be puzzled by the fearsome 1:25K pricing is easily demonstrated by the National Trail series....the price for the 100 mile South Downs Way is the same as the 132 mile Glyndwr's Way, the same as the 269 mile Penine Way and the same as the 320 mile South West Coast Path Part 2 at £99 each.....somebody somewhere is being very lazy when it comes to pricing these things up.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Active 10 visibility and battery life Reply with quote

I have used mine for one walk and four cycle (road) rides. My experience is that when walking, screen visibility is reasonable, primarily because the user automatically positions the unit at exactly the right distance from his/her eyes and at 90 degrees to the sightline. When walking, my only problem was strong sunlight falling on the screen - I had to shade the screen and/or turn up the backlight.

However, on the bike things are more difficult. The unit has to be at 90 degrees to sightline, so has to be mounted quite precisely on the handlebars. If it's set at an angle, reflection, even in average light, renders it unreadable. I couldn't for example, mount mine on the handlebar stem for this reason. My experience has been that I need at a minimum of 70% and probably 80% backlight to be safe.

It might be argued that some of my problem stems from using 60 year old eyes! Maybe, but I can say only that the Garmin doesn't present these problems and I never need the backlight on at all. Oddly, the more light that falls on it, the more easily readable it is. They seem to have cracked the "non-reflectice screen"issue.

Using the backlight at such high levels has a disasterous effect on battery life. Using fully charged 2700M/Hr NiMH AA cells gave 1hr 28mins before losing one of the four battery condition blocks and approx 4hr 30mins saw the unit exhibit "Battery Critical" and auto shut down. When I purchased my unit, I spoke on the telephone to Satmap and was told I could expect real world battery life of about 8hrs from the Energizer Lithiums as supplied or 13 to 14hrs with the rechargeable lithium polymer battery pack. I didn't think to ask about NiMH batteries, unfortunately.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I am not too sure why there is a current draw when the device is off, it could be supplying the GPS but I have no way of telling at the moment

I listen to Radio 5 (medium wave) a lot when I ride my bike and from time to time I can hear a pulse every second if my chest mounted radio gets close to the Active 10.....sometimes I hear it even when the unit hasn't been turned on...for example for the first two hours of the ride I did today.
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasack wrote:
Quote:
Well i didnt take the mini manual and did over half the walk before
I cottoned on to the fact that when IT asks you IF
you wish to view the map the RESPONSE should be NO.
Finger trouble :-((((

nonoftheabove,

Could you explain what you mean by this? If you select CANCEL instead of VIEW MAP, what does this change/do/improve?

Regards,
well when you switch the device on in my case it found that an SD
card was present.
It then came up with a screen image stating i had a national park and which area was in the device.
at this moment one has a choice
view map OR cancel.
LIKE a twit i chose view map
THAT puts you into PLANNING mode and directs you to the CENTRE of the mapped area, I like a fool then used the joystick to navigate to the zone area where i was.
NOW if you press CANCEL that puts you into GPS and the cursor is on your current position It also presumes one has signal lock.
BASICALLY the view map is to do the plan route
cancel button goes to GPS mode
The manual does mention about toggling between the two modes.
As i tried to state I left home on my first trip without the manual - i had read it well obviously not very well.

Richard
ThistleWhistle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just press the bottom left soft key...
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the scroll bar on their web site mentions counties at 1.25000 scale, but no mention of how to order one...or have I missed something here. Also, they talked about being able to order a bespoke map....like you can with OS, but again I see no way of being able to do this ?
I've written a nice note to Santa, and have put put one of these devices on my Christmas list. As a long distance walker I hope I won't be disappointed ....unless you know different ??
michael100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
I see the scroll bar on their web site mentions counties at 1.25000 scale, but no mention of how to order one...or have I missed something here. Also, they talked about being able to order a bespoke map....like you can with OS, but again I see no way of being able to do this ?
I've written a nice note to Santa, and have put put one of these devices on my Christmas list. As a long distance walker I hope I won't be disappointed ....unless you know different ??

They will do you anything you want. ring up and speak to Mark about a county or any other area in 1:25 but not cheap for a big area
By the time you get it hopefully they may have sorted most of the teething probs ????
CaptainZed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading the discussions on the Active 10 with much interest.

I already have £200 worth of anquet mapping and would be reluctant to shell out again for all the OS mapping again. I would be interested to know the form the OS data is in on the satmap datacards ie is it the same form that anquet, memory map etc use. People have talk about raster and vector data sets but a laymans explanation of the difference would be helpful.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainZed wrote:
I have been reading the discussions on the Active 10 with much interest.

I already have £200 worth of anquet mapping and would be reluctant to shell out again for all the OS mapping again. I would be interested to know the form the OS data is in on the satmap datacards ie is it the same form that anquet, memory map etc use. People have talk about raster and vector data sets but a laymans explanation of the difference would be helpful.

The OS mapping used by Satmap, Memory Map, Tracklogs, Fugawi and Anquet is raster format. I expect it is all the same format that has been limited by keys and codes by the OS to only work on each software's viewer....and it is further limited to each version of that viewer. A couple of years ago I did read that there had been posted on a forum the method to 'convert' for example 2003 Memory Map mapping to 2004...but it had been removed from the forum by the time I got to it

A guide to the diffence between Vector and Raster is here:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/gisfiles/section1/page4.html
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="robs1972"]
mikealder wrote:
I can't help thinking that if they are doing a PC based planner which you download and then the mapping data is online it would be far more reasonable and realistic to put your purchased map data on the PC and use that....I can't see how the OS would allow someone who bought half the country or even less to have access to the whole country....we are talking about an organisation that insist I buy all the same maps again if I want the few new bells and whistles available on 2004 or V5 Memory Map over my 2003 version. Confused

In my e-mail I specifically asked whether it would be possible to access our purchased Satmap maps from SD card using a card reader, and, sadly, the firm answer was "NO". All I can think is that this is a rather crude attempt by Satmap (no doubt under pressure from The O.S.) to hinder someone reverse-engineering the PC software to work-out the data format and encryption scheme of their proprietary map cards: unfortunate for those of us who comply with the law and don't use or distribute pirated software Sad
By the way, I believe that the OS should be allowed to charge for their data, afterall, it costs a lot of money to gather and update the survey data, BUT consumers should be able to buy a licence for a particular map area at a particluar scale, then be able to use that data with ANY software - i.e. not have to buy the same maps again and again (I too have a lot of mapping in Memory Map format)
-Rob
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....he added that the update will be available as a download soon from the website.

WOW!!! Shocked

That website is so impersonal and unfriendly.
Why have they won so many awards.... the thing hardly works!

kidstypike
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidstypike wrote:
Quote:
....he added that the update will be available as a download soon from the website.

WOW!!! Shocked

That website is so impersonal and unfriendly.
Why have they won so many awards.... the thing hardly works!

kidstypike
i don't think the awards are for the website Censored

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: