Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New way to do custom POI warnings in TomTom 5 & 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New way to do custom POI warnings in TomTom 5 & 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's lucky, some swine expected me to do some real work, so I hadn't had time to experiment yet! Laughing
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Interesting....

First thing to try is a reset.
Other than that, the only thing I can think of so far is if you've somehow used a version for TomTom Navigator on a PDA that uses a lower sampling frequency. But you say it sounds OK when using the "virtual" machine in Home?
I'll try a few experiments...

Thought I'd cracked it, then .............

... whilst driving today, I noticed that some of the built in warning sounds on the TT sound nothing like they used to. This has occured since I imported the .ogg files for POI alerts.

Do you, or anybody, know if this is a common fault? I've tried a reset but it's still the same.

One example is the 'cuckoo' alert. When you select this sound you get, what sounds like, a cash register 'kerching' before the cuckoo sound.

Odd!
yebaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: tt One poi sounds Reply with quote

Used this method for adding sounds to tomtom one V3. Seems to have work as the speed cam categories now have speakers near them showing that they have been assigned a sound, but there's no way to check as I don't get an option to choose a different sound and test them as I do with other POI's. Did this work? Any way to check?

*edit*

found the answer a couple of pages back: yes it works and run a demo route to test...
bazza660
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I have installed the ogg files but i still keep on getting the silly sounds

what am i doing wrong

tomtom one version 2
App 7.131

any help would be great

thanks
Bazza
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackaws wrote:

... whilst driving today, I noticed that some of the built in warning sounds on the TT sound nothing like they used to. This has occured since I imported the .ogg files for POI alerts.

Do you, or anybody, know if this is a common fault? I've tried a reset but it's still the same.

One example is the 'cuckoo' alert. When you select this sound you get, what sounds like, a cash register 'kerching' before the cuckoo sound.

Odd!

It's nothing to do with the ogg files, but it IS to do with a software update.

Since I updated to v7.210 the sound effects have all changed, especially the Polite 1,2 and 3 which I used to use.
I've already asked TomTom about it:

I wrote:

Customer 07/11/2007 02.08 PM
Got a shock when I first passed a POI today, after updating to v7.210 all my alert sounds had reset to "Bell 1".

Annoying but not unusual, so I just started putting them back to normal and find that, for some reason, it seems that "Polite 1, 2 and 3" sounds have been changed in this version.
Guess which ones I use?
Any reason for this, and any way of reverting to the originals?

TomTom wrote:
Dear Mr P

Unfortunately if you wish to use the older sounds you have to use a back-up that you have made and restore that.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I have a way round it if you have an x20 model (may work with others)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza660 wrote:
Hi all

I have installed the ogg files but i still keep on getting the silly sounds

what am i doing wrong

tomtom one version 2
App 7.131

any help would be great

thanks
Bazza

First, look in your map folder with Windows Explorer.
The camera data file, icon file and sound file must all have exactly the same name (apart from the three letter extension) e.g.

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2 - the data file
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp - the icon
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg - the audio/voice file

Where did you get the ogg files from? If it was the collections page HERE they should all be named correctly.
One thing to check is that you ARE set to see the extensions in Explorer (ls/Folder options/view tab - UN-tick "hide extensions for known file types") otherwise it is quite easy to end up with them called abcde.ogg.ogg

Apart from that all I can suggest is to follow those instructions really closely again....
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the .ogg files from this website. Inatalled them, no problem. There is one .ogg file missing from my download (unless it's me?) it's the p-mobile_var.ogg

So, basically, TomTom are saying that the 7.21 upgrade has caused conflicts with the .ogg sound files so they can't be used? Do we have to revert back to the old sounds?

Will, simply deleting the .ogg files from the map folder cure the problem? Or will I have to do a restore from my back up? Will this restore wipe 7.21 as I was running 7.020 before the upgrade? TT Home will then find the upgrade when I dock and ask to download it?

Thanks for your help
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackaws wrote:

So, basically, TomTom are saying that the 7.21 upgrade has caused conflicts with the .ogg sound files so they can't be used? Do we have to revert back to the old sounds?

No, no, I think we're getting at cross-purposes here...
The ogg files work with any software version. You should be able to use them just as before (so long as you do the extra step of answering "yes" when it asks "is this the sound you want to use?".

All I was saying was that on the latest software for the x20 range (v7.210) they have changed the built-in sounds ("Bell 1", "Cow", "Polite 3" etc), which are stored in the "data.chk" file. This file is version-dependant, so you cannot just replace that file if you want to go back to the old sounds; you would have to revert back to the old software.

They will presumably be changing the sounds on the new software for the other models too, I don't have them so cannot check if it has happened already.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for your question about the "missing" pmobile_var file....

When I made the voice files, I didn't bother to make one for the pocketgps_uk_mobile_var.ov2 category, because I was told it shouldn't exist or that the file was a dummy one with no entries (because you don't get mobile sites in "variable limit" areas).

So, I've always assumed the pMOBILES would be the same, but I just looked at pocketgps_uk_pmobile_var.ov2 in POIEdit and it DOES have one entry. in Selkirk.

I've asked MaFt the camera database main man about it, but AFAIK there shouldn't be any need for either a mobile or a pMobile "var" sound.

If it worries you, you could just copy one of the other ogg files and re-name it as "pocketgps_uk_pmobile_var.ogg"
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on both points. Much appreciated.

I'm just lost as to why TT decide to change sounds, etc when upgrading the software. They don't make things easy for themselves do they?

I always feel it's 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Or am I just too demanding? Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, I'm having a new problem when I swith on the device (in the car) I get a red panel (top right) saying 'unable to access map settings' or something similar and it won't let me store favourites or POI's, etc. It locked up twice yesterday before it started giving me the error message. I've tried re-setting (with and withoug the SD card in place) and it's still there. Surprised

I'll search the forum to see if there is an answer to this one. Confused

Hey ho, off we go again. It's a good job you guys are about!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the unit to the PC and shut down TomTom Home, use Windows Explorer to view the folders/ files on the TomTom, locate the Map folder and find the file "MapSettings.dat" right click this and select "Properties" uncheck the "read only" box - Mike
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't appear to have a 'MapSettings.dat' file in my UK and ROI maps folder.

I have the following:

MapInfo.dat
MapServerPatch.dat
MapSettings.cfg
MapUserPatch.dat

??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapSettings.cfg is the correct file to check, sorry for the confusion, must write 100 lines to check posts before pressing "Submit" - Mike
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just check. Read Only is already unchecked.

I've checked all other map files (listed above) too. They're all unchecked.

I wonder if it's corrected itself?

Hmmm?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not, maybe the "Clearflash tool" will sort you out.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=6178

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 32 of 35

Jump to: