Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps in CP 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps in CP 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Maps in CP 7 Reply with quote

I'm not certain that I will upgrade to CP7. The maps provided for us here in the US in version 6 were so far out of date that I am very relectant to trust ALK until I have proof they have a database that's current (unlike CP6 which didn't included roads in my home town that have been in existance for almost a decade.). Even in my town of only 70,000 there were so many missing or incorrectly place streets it would have become a full time job to manually send in corrections. I therefore dutifully uploaded my routes.

I feel completely ripped off, however, that all the uloading I did of my routes to help ALK update their database was completely useless to me as they never once sent out a patch to update the road database.
prl1862
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps for the UK appear to be pretty up to date, at least for my local area. They include a road that was built less than a year ago. I did find however that the first route I got the software to do would have sent me the wrong way down a one way street. That street has been one way for as long as I can remember.
prubbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps in CP 7 Reply with quote

waggle wrote:
I'm not certain that I will upgrade to CP7. The maps provided for us here in the US in version 6 were so far out of date that I am very relectant to trust ALK until I have proof they have a database that's current (unlike CP6 which didn't included roads in my home town that have been in existance for almost a decade.). Even in my town of only 70,000 there were so many missing or incorrectly place streets it would have become a full time job to manually send in corrections. I therefore dutifully uploaded my routes.

I feel completely ripped off, however, that all the uloading I did of my routes to help ALK update their database was completely useless to me as they never once sent out a patch to update the road database.

My new copilot live 7 map in USA doesn't find my street address thats been here for 10 years. I have not heard back from ALK on this issue.
arfur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Uk/Europe, how new is new? Do they get updated periodically in cp7 or will we have to wait for a new version for newer maps.
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the little bit I played before becoming frustrated with CP7 and just removing it, the maps don't look any different than in CP6, my streets in my area are still not present after 4 years! I'd have better luck with google maps at this point.

This among other things that CP7 does not do correctly or for that matter does differently on 2 different OS just soured me big time, I reloaded CP6 and its working perfectly. I'm sending CP7 back today and getting my money back.
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://support.alk.eu.com/

'New maps will be made available when the next software release comes out for your CoPilot product, and as an existing customer you are entitled to receive a substantial discount on new versions of the software which will contain the most detailed and up to date Maps and Points Of Interest available.'
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that was supposed to be v7
jruthven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the gamble and purchased v7 and the maps are a lot newer than v6 I travel all over the the north of england and find them much better than the tom tom one whose maps were older than v6 ! I also have traffic on the Vario iii which works fine and has come in handy many times. brilliant to have the upto date cameras now thanks
GeoBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP7 maps in my area of the SE US are much better than CP6, and at least as good as TomTom 6, if not better. Not perfect, but good enough..
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lengthy talk with ALK this morning, it appears there is an issue with wm6 on PPC and Vista and loading up the maps, I moved the SD card to a card reader and had no issues at all with loading them up. So far its working as designed, however still the maps in AZ are not much more new than the CP6 version.
mike65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: maps in CP7 Reply with quote

Two lanes in my village (on Surrey/W. Sussex/Hampshire border) have disappeared in CP7, having been present in CP6. They both contain residences with addresses and postcodes, so they should appear Makes you wonder what else has been left off. Apart from that and the disappointing lack of functionality in the custom POI field, I'm quite impressed with the new version, so will stick with it for now.
waggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this long post typed up but the below sums it up:

TomTom - ONE XL-S GPS at Best Buy (An electronics outlet) $299
Copilot Live SOFTWARE ONLY for my pocket PC $199. (Requires Pocket PC and bluetooth GPS reciever)
Copilot Live Software with GPS bluetooth reciever (Still requires Pocket PC) $299
Let's see, an extra $100 for a stand only product that is faster and has the below features ..... not really a tough choice. Sorry ALK, you've lost a customer.

Up to date maps YES (I checked it out!!!) I was unable to find a road that was not on the TomTom in my home town versus ALK which is missing MOST of the roads in my town.
Number of Channels 20
Number of Waypoints 48
Traffic and Weather Updates No (Copilot Yes)
Text to Speech Yes
Download Capability Yes
Built-In Base Maps Yes
Mapping Software Yes
PC Connectivity Yes
Voice Prompts Yes
Backlit Display Yes
Color Display Yes
2D/3D Capability Yes
Battery Life Up to 2 hours
Battery Included Yes
Screen Size 4.3"
Points of Interest Millions
1 YEAR OF FREE MAP UPDATES
Time to aquire GPS signal - seconds (ALK = minutes)
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in europe the map data is not ALK,s own it comes from a third party namley navteq
as for map dates if it says free map updates for one year then you should get them but dit state how many updates and the freqency of them. a patch will mean improvments to the application not the map.

from memory the eu map data is 2007 but the exact version escapes me at the moment.

the usa map data i recall comes from alk themselves it takes time to remap an area and impliment changes to map data this will not happen over night if you do not report map errors to them then they may never improve the map data in your area

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
waggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
in europe the map data is not ALK,s own it comes from a third party namley navteq
as for map dates if it says free map updates for one year then you should get them but dit state how many updates and the freqency of them. a patch will mean improvments to the application not the map.

from memory the eu map data is 2007 but the exact version escapes me at the moment.

the usa map data i recall comes from alk themselves it takes time to remap an area and impliment changes to map data this will not happen over night if you do not report map errors to them then they may never improve the map data in your area

Reporting map errors would be a full time job just for my town (too many to report). I spent my money on CP6 for convinience not to add work to my life.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: