Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbennett wrote:
I live in weymouth (south west dorset).

I get a signal when on portland which is 20 minutes away from Weymouth (joined by a road called chesil beach rd). Portland is higher up than Weymouth and the signal is fine here.

I just can't get any signal at all in weymouth (not even for a split second). It just spins orange, around and around.

I wonder if Weymouth is a black spot?. Since testing the RDS TMC i have been all over weymouth with it turned on and nothing happens.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=weymouth&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=10.688442,20.258789&ie=UTF8&ll=50.592827,-2.381973&spn=0.20095,0.462799&z=11&iwloc=addr&om=1

I frequent the area for work,my old Garmin gets a signal in the Morrisons car park,just past the hairpin on the hill toward Dorchester and it can pick up French RDS in the old Spyglass Pub car park.

If I ever get my RDS back from those TomTom people I'll try those same locations.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin uses different radio stations so comparisons between the two are a waste of time - Mike
jbennett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm,
Well i'm really not sure what to do then. Do you think the problem is the new RDS TMC Receiver or the fact that tomtom haven't released software for my One XL that will enable this to work correctly?

thanks

Oh and I have been driving past morrisons everyday with the RDS TMC and don't pick up anything.
jbennett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just got an e-mail back from tomtom. I stated that I purchased the 4v00.013 version and they sent me the following:

Dear Mr Bennett,

It appears you have purchased an early version of the tmc receiver, for this reason RMA DER07102507538 has been created to replace the TMC recevier with a new improved version.

Please only return the item(s) requested: TMC Receiver.

You will also have to print/make a copy of your receipt or print your receipt/invoice and include that inside.
Please don’t include anything that hasn’t been requested back as you may not get it back again.

If a few days time you will receive a box from royal mail, it comes flat packaged, so you need to assemble it yourself.

Include in your box only the requested items. Please don’t include anything that isn’t requested back as you may not receive it back again.

Once you have packed it up as per the instructions, you then need to drop it off at your local post office; it is guaranteed next day delivery to us.

Once our repair center has received your TomTom it is usually 5-10 working days that it will be repaired.

It will then be posted back to you.

In order to proceed with your repair you will need to confirm your address following the instructions below.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.013 is the latest version - unless anyone can prove me wrong with details of a newer one!

If you send it back you will just get the same version back again in a weeks time.

Andy
jbennett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds crazy then and I clearly stated it was the .013 version. I don't plan on sending it back because I feared they would just send the same version back and waiste my time.

Do you guys and gals known anything about the subscription service RDS TMC provided by tomtom (used via GPRS). I was looking at giving it a try?

I've got unlimited GPRS (well fair usage of 200mb a month) and could quite easily purchase the subscription if its worth the money, any views on this?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Bought a brand new tmc receiver from argos, £34.99 as well!!, but only get green circle for signal approx 50%/25% of the time. So ive fired off a complaint to tomtom as the one ive just bought is the first version and so doesnt work too well. Its version 4V00.000. Is this definately the first version? This is the email i have just sent to tomtom...

I have recently bought a brand new tomtom one 3rd edition regional (uk) and have tried very unsatisfactorily to use the tomtom rds-tmc cable i purchased seperately. As this was an expensive purchase in addition to the actual tomtom unit, i am dissapointed to find that this tmc feature works only approximately 25% of the time i am driving. I read that a new version of the rds-tmc receiver is out now and being supplied by yourselves to customers of problematic tmc receivers. I would like to be sent a replacement receiver so i can start to use a service i have paid for but am still virtually unable to use. I have read all instructions on latest firmware, manual setting of local classic fm stations and full extension of receiver cable and have still obtained unsatisfactory results. The version on the tag of the tmc receiver is "4V00.000" if this helps.

Thanks in anticipation, ****** ***

So, after the usual 48hr delay to an email to tomtom i get a reply saying that an RMA has been created and to add my address etc etc on the tomtom site. So i guess they are just gonna do a straight swap for a newer rds-tmc receiver?

iPhone 12
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be the case - follow the RMA instructions and include your proof of purchase.

Andy
themusicman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: TMC Receiver Reply with quote

Ok, so i've just brought a TT 720 and would like a TMC receiver thats works in the UK .......

1) Where do i get one.

2) what version number do I need ?

Im all a bit confused with it all .... Confused

Thanks
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the only (alleged) confirmed source is expansys. I work for one of the largest suppliers in the UK and we haven't got any yet.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my RDS-TMC Saga on the M66

I have tried today with a GO720 in my car with my antenna, after performing some testing with Mike Alder a week ago which was inconclusive due to their being no transmission!

At first - no difference.

Then, once it had got a lock it appears that the unit 'learns' the TMC frequencies. When the unit loses the signal it tries to scan between 101.0 and 101.3 a couple of times before going through the entire range. In a couple of instances this meant that it locked back on again instead of the orange spinning circle on my 510.

On the way back I got a green circle in quite a few areas where I have never had a signal on the 510.

Repositioning the aerial wire again improved things a bit as well - it was difficult to tell if it was making any difference on the 510 as it took too long to scan.

I didn't get the almost full coverage on the M66 that Mike achieved, but I will see how it is tomorrow on the daily commute as it appears to be significantly better on the 720 than the 510.

Is it just the software or is it the hardware - only time will tell I suppose when version 7 is released for the x10's.

Andy
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to see if it made any real difference, I tried routing the antenna out through the door seal and across the front of the windscreen. Obviously not a practical permanent solution but just drove gently up the side of the Malvern Hills. Got a lock on Sutton Coldfield at a certain point. Took the antenna back inside and lost the signal again. Not really surprising, I guess, but it does seem to prove the point.

What was surprising though, was that only about 50 ft higher, I got a lock with the antenna in place inside the windscreen. I guess that, in common with all FM signals, line-of-sight is a factor.

Distance to transmitter c. 50 miles.
jbennett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I got an e-mail back from tomtom today with regards to the version 4v00.013 RDS TMC Receiver I have, this is what they sent me:

Dear Mr Bennett,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your query about the RDS TMC Receiver. The article number you quoted is not a recognised article number for the RDS TMC Receiver. The article number for the latest RDS TMC Receiver is 2V00.006.

We see that you had two RMA's created to replace your RDS TMC Receiver. We have cancelled the one - DER07102507538. Please use the other RMA - DER07102507367 - to return your RDS TMC Receiver

RMA DER07102507367 has been created.

Please only return the item(s) requested :RDS TMC Receiver
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could a moderator sort this page out please as that ultra long url makes things damned awkward to read!

Ta!
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chat with TomTom support about my charging cable knocking out the signal and it appears there are some quality control problems with the new receiver ,some get knocked out while charging and some do not get a signal at all.They have arranged for me to get another one (tested) so I will report back on the problem when I receive it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 26 of 30

Jump to: