Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

this is a reply from tomtom regarding the different part numbers for the rds tmc

Subject
hi can you tell me the part numbers for the Tomtom tmc rds receiver v3 for th...

Discussion Thread
Response (Kweku B. (UK)) 18/10/2007 02.35 PM
Dear Mr Payne,

It is indeed correct that there are conflicting partnumbers concerning the RDS-TMC antenna. This is because it is still in its testing phase and every time there is an amendment made, the version and partnumber changes. The newest version is version 3.75 which has partnumber 2V00.006. This version as far as we know at Tom Tom Customer Support, is yet to be released.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer (marshall Payne) 17/10/2007 02.41 PM
hi
can you tell me the part numbers for the Tomtom tmc rds receiver v3 for the tomtom go520 standard
i mean the newest version that is extremly hard to buy
There seem to be many conflicting part numbers i would like all of them that identify this particular version of the receiver

regards
marshall
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say I have been quite impressed for once? Dispatched my old RDS-TMC string to Tom Tom on Tuesday, received the replacement on Friday. Version .013.

Orange sticker on packet says important instructions for UK users on set up are to be found on enclosed leaflet. No leaflet enclosed! Does anyone know what these important instructions say?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something along the lines of:

Start by attaching the sucker on the end of the aerial wire, it should be positioned at least 5CM (2" in old money) away from the "A" pillar (inboard of it).
Next position the second sucker 5CM from the bottom of the "A" pillar (inboard of it).
Run the cable along the lower edge of the windscreen, use the third sucker to secure it before positioning the plastic pod, finally connect to the device.

That is the basic instructions, however if you want the device to your right it is just as good to run the aerial wire up the centre of the windscreen.

Other advice I will add is that you must only use a single TomTom RDS-TMC device in your car at any single time, TMC units do not use them all at once as the interference it causes will result in no information from either device - Mike
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strewth that was quick - Saturday morning too! Thanks, Mike.
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Just driven down the motorway where Mike Alder tested reception for the RDS-TMC and sadly it did not work apart from a 15 sec fix the rest of the time it was searching Question I did about 40 miles all together
my receiver has a part number on the box 9V00.017 however the small tag at the end of the aerial ends with .003 compatability listing of the go520 is on the side of the box.

I have the aerial installed as per all the instructions.

what next ? any help/suggestions would be most welcome.

marshall
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've tested my new RDS-TMC receiver today. All my hope has crashed. Drove the A449 Malvern to Worcester and back and have tried the antenna in various positions around the screen. Absolutely zilch.

I'm about 50 miles from Sutton Coldfield transmitter. I work in Kidderminster which is getting closer to it so when I go in on Monday, it will be interesting to see if I get anything as I get closer. I never did with the old receiver.

To complicate matters, I suspect, I have recently changed my car and now have an athermic windscreen which seems to do nothing to stop the sun heating up the car but probably completely fouls up radio waves!

A couple of things I have noticed since connecting the new RDS-TMC (ver .013) is that (a) the auto tuning scans the frequencies far more quickly than it did with the old antenna plugged in, and (b) if I select manual tuning, it sticks to the frequency I enter, never giving up. Even when I re-selected automatic tuning, it just flashed a message saying "continuing tuning" and continued to stick to the frequency I had entered. I had to reset my GO 710 before it would start scanning again.

I suspect many of us are not out of the woods yet with this TMC business!! Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I tried a couple of runs up and down the M66 with another site member only to find nothing at all using my system or his, this area is not the best in terms of reception due to the local terrain, that said it does work on the M66 (it just didn't yesterday). If you go back a few pages within this thread you will find a post I made containing photos of the various RDS-TMC units, perhaps you can work out from the pictures if you do in fact have the newer unit or something else (see Here For a short cut).

As for Athermic glass, it will kill FM signals quite effectively so you are compounding the reception problems using it in the new car, this is one reason I asked for an external aerial connection point to be made available on the new receiver - sadly this never materialised though.

Of note though, there is a noticable difference in how the x20 performs relative to an x10 device, I am not too sure if this is hardware or software related though. Perhaps the version 7 software (when it is available) will make a difference - Mike
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to say that the new unit is a lot better, it did take sometime to find a signal, and then kept scanning, eventually it seemed to lock onto the RDS signal longer. This was down the A1 around the Stevenage area, with the original unit I never manager to get a signal, so this is a great improvement.

My only issue now is the mounting the RDS receiver, I have a Brodit mount and the cable is just not long enough, TomTom have assumed that all customers will screen mount their units. Has anyone found an extension cable, or do TomTom have plans to release such an item?
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether there is any merit in leading the cable out through the door seal and along the roof bar? Would get over the athermic windscreen issue! Thin I might give it a try. Can't be any worse .... !!! Laughing
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:
Dare I say I have been quite impressed for once? Dispatched my old RDS-TMC string to Tom Tom on Tuesday, received the replacement on Friday. Version .013.

Orange sticker on packet says important instructions for UK users on set up are to be found on enclosed leaflet. No leaflet enclosed! Does anyone know what these important instructions say?

Hi,

The info given to you in a previous post about what was on the leaflet was wrong.

Although the info given to you was useful, the actual leaflet talks about ensuring that you go into the TT traffic settings and set the UK as your home country.

I received my received yesterday (box lists part as 5V00.108 from Expansys). I had it set to run up my windscreen then across the top. Drove from Tetbury, via Cirencester, down to Swindon and back. No reception at all until Ciren but I may live in a black spot, but then a green light all the way thereafter.

I then chaned the Ariel position so it just run all along the bottom of my windscreen (as NOT to do according to TT) and on the journey back I had the same reception, losing the green circle at Cirencester.

I'll test more this week.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a couple of 100 miles today and for the first time seen an improvement - drove down the M66 towards Manchester (usual no signal until Ramsbottom) and then got a steady signal from there all the way eastbound on the M62 to the M1, and then southbound on the M1 to J29 (Chesterfield) - it didn't lose the lock once until I got off the M1 at J29 and then it struggled as I headed towards Chesterfiled. This is an improvement on the first version, as it would be on and off across the M62 and would struggle on the M1 Southbound, especially around Sheffield.

On the way back I came over the tops from Chesterfield via Chatsworth Park to Baslow and then to Chapel-en-le-Frith, then cut through Hayfield to Glossop and joined the M67 on to the M60 and then up the M66. Reception was awful all the way until I got to Glossop, and then a solid lock until Ramsbottom M66 Northbound. So, no different to the old receiver.

So far, in strong signal areas I get a good lock whereas it was intermittent before. Anything below a strong signal area and I get zilch, in fact in some areas the old receiver with an amplified aerial would get a lock.

I will wait to see what a v7 software upgrade brings when it is released for the 510.

Andy
CaptainEL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all hi first post on here.
Thought i would let you know i found this place on the internet selling tomtom rds receivers.
http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B86248&viewSpec=y#productTop
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my trip from Malvern to Kidderminster this morning - A449 all the way except for brief diversion up the M5 from junction 7 to junction 6 to skirt around Worcester. Got a signal (Classic FM 100.1) for the first time ever briefly at Hartlebury which is the highest point of my journey and is 30 miles, as the crow flies, from the transmitter at Sutton Coldfield. Downloaded infromation then lost signal after about half a mile as I dipped down again.
jbennett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but have been reading this discussion for several weeks now.

I recently brought the new RDS TMC from Expansys ( part number 4v00.13).

I live in Weymouth and have yet to receive anything from the device when plugged into my tomtom One XL. All I get is a revolving orange circle.

Anyone have any ideas why I'm not getting a signal. I've left the RDS TMC turned on for a while and tried using the device on the way to work this morning ( which is a 20 minute journey). But I've still had no joy.

I thought the new version of this device had fixed the issue, doesn't seem that way?.

What about resetting my tomtom, may this be of any use or just a waiste of time?
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned TomTom last Thursday about the €50 payment and the bloke said he would deal with it, what have other forum posters experienced in this situation? How long should I expect to wait?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: