Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Direction
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Direction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxtrotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Camera Direction Reply with quote

I have noticed some cameras (GATSO) appearing in both directions - is this because they are listed with a Heading of 0 ? If so should we be updating you with their true direction? Shoukld we also update you when the co-ordinates are a number of metres away from the camera?

eg
GATSO:1953@30, Heading:0, Single Direction

Steve
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a very old camera that predated direction data, and needs to be updated.
You need to report which direction it's monitoring, and whether it seems to be reversible, so that MaFt knows whether to enter it as a single or two-way camera.
If you think the location is wrong then make a note of that as well, but it might not be changed until someone confirms it.

Sal
foxtrotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Camera Direction Reply with quote

Thanks Sal

I'll do that.

Regards
Steve
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxtrotter
What GPS device do you have?
Further to Sal's reply, try to get the 'heading' of the camera as accuratly as possible. Very Happy The Mio devices rely on it beig correct to better than 25degrees or they don't alarm. Crying or Very sad The directio is the direction that you are travelling in to 'get caught'

Hi Sal, long time no speak.
There are still loads of cams with no direction data, although the number is fast increasing by the month. Most of the submitted Az data is now better than 10deg, but there is still occasionally a rouge one that's to be expected I suppose.

Trev
foxtrotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trev
I have a MyGuide 3100. It's a shame it doesn't show Heading Info, so it'll have to be a guesstimate or from a map+protractor I suppose. I should certainly be able to get it within 25degs.

Regards
Steve
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trev.
As I recall, that camera is on a straight road so irrespective of any possible location error it should be possible to get the direction from the Google map.
I just lay a protractor on the screen. A camera on a bend is more difficult of course.
The only real question is to decide whether it's reversible or not, and in most cases that's easy to judge from the camera's position and the road markings.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxtrotter.
Does MyGuide us the Igo software?

I make the heading of cam 1953 210deg using the road markings on google map and should actually be at co-ords more like 53.56360 -2.07389 about 200 ft (sorry, 61m) further north than it is at present. But I wouldn't either submit or verify these changes this without a visit. And it's a bit too far to Oldham. Very Happy

Sal
I've got a circular protractor to which I attached a rotating radial cursor. The knack is then to get the protractor as exactly north up as possible on the map.
Trev
foxtrotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trev

From what I've read on various forums, yes it does use the Igo software. I'll be passing through in the next week, so I'll check it out before submitting.

Thanks
Steve
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The knack is then to get the protractor as exactly north up as possible on the map.
Trev

No, that's the easy bit. Assuming your browser window is not maximised, just drag one side of the window across to the middle of the map. It will give you a perfect N-S line.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal
It's these little ideas that mak one think 'Why the h*** did'nt I think of that?'
Thanks for that Sal. Having said that I do most of my stuff on the mio, as I can relax in front of Corro or Eastenders. Not Very Happy
Trev
foxtrotter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re measuring angles - there are various utilities online to do this (usually around £20) but there is one called BitRule (http://pcwin.com/Utilities/Desktop_Enhancements/BitRule/index.htm) which is free. It only measures angles from the nearest horizontal, so you need to do a little bit of maths but it's ok. (needs calibrating before use).

Steve
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxtrotter
Thanks for the link. I gave it a go this morning, and found it a bit cumbersome to use for my purposes both in inputting the two points and thge subsequent maths (not too difficult, but time consuming Confused ). It seems a good tool in the right place, but as I only ned to get the angle accurate to within a few degrees (I aim for better than 2) my 360 deg protractor with rotatable cursor works for me although being a bit 'stone age'.
Now, if anyone out there is good at Java, I'm certain the they could simulate my protractor/cursor idea with a direct readout in degrees from North.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: