Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new release!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new release!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: new release!? Reply with quote

I have been in contact with ALK and the guy i spoke to briefly informed me that the will be a new copilot release with new updated maps etc, at the end of Quarter 1 has anyone else heard this?

Fletch
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't heard about that yet, but it would be about time for a new map release...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot 4.5 has been release stateside (quietly) which has fixed minor bugs and has newer maps, but as it's not a major update they're not offering an upgrade path.

This was going to be planned in the UK, but talking with ALK UK they say they have decided not to release this now in the UK and start concentrating on the next major release to add a lot more features.
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any news on a forth-coming new release???
I would imagine that the team at ALK are taking great pleasure in the some what poor feedback that there rivals at Tom Tom are getting over there version 3, lets hope that if they are planning a new release that they take on board some of the comments made, to avoid such a similar slating.
Fletch
Easygeezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This was going to be planned in the UK, but talking with ALK UK they say they have decided not to release this now in the UK and start concentrating on the next major release to add a lot more features."

What a load of rubbish, more features the basics of the current version dont work, if I travel into London or any other built up city I have to switch to Copilot 3.5, at least that maps down so you can see where you are supposed to go and you don't get that blue wash that Copilot Live is inflicted with.

I think they have lost the plot a little, it's like having and alll singing all dancing watch that can't keep good time!

Copilot Live has so many bugs I have approached ALK for a refund as it is not up to the job, this was going back a several months now. They did not disagree with all the faults but asked me to hold on to what I had and they would allow me to beta test the next upgrade, still not heard anything :-(
Blackshark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

I could not agree more. ALK have lost me completely as a customer for ever. Its a shame I am not American as I would love to take them to court but have better things to do with my life.

The funny thing is, getting stuck in jams is probably keeping me from it!!

ALK - You are bucking rollocks and your software is utter tripe. You have offered virtually no support, a pain in the behind activiation system and are in effect rip off merchants. Watch Dog feature better scum than you.

Tim
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, thanks tim, that kind of puts a conclusion on their product and software! don't think i'll bother going down that route (sorry about the pun!) Laughing

Has anybody got anything positive to say about any GPS software products? Thumbs Up
Fletch
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason behind not going to 4.5 in the UK is because version 4 was much further ahead than the previous version stateside. US have now gone 4.5. 4.5 is available in the UK but it has very minor bug fixes, nothing major and is now being shipped with all new hardware. I think (not sure) tha the 4.5 fixes mainly hardware issues and a few bug fixes.

Version 5 will be the next thing to look forward to for CoPilot users and although I cannot give any dates *officially* all I can say is watch this space. I can't unfortunately say anymore than that, and what bugs it fixes or what new features it includes.
naquada
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave.. insteresting post... I'm very interested in what your saying... I brought INS when it was first released (and obviously copilot oem'ed) and stuck with it... I love it.. EXCEPT... STILL no traffic reporting, and i see now TOM TOM provide that... UK INS is rarely updated.. compaq/hp know almost nothign about it.. any bugs are put down to 'hardware issues' or 'send it back for repair'.. team warrior are 'almost' great but dont provide support... map updates are poor (still no M6 toll!!)

I upgraded to INS3 (copilot live) based on live traffic reporting and other features that really are not implemented (like i've NEVER been told about a lane change... i ONLY get told about 'side of the street' when i get home.. and hey i know what side of the street i live on!!!)

the screenshots of the copilot traffic reporting look great, but why havent ALK provided this yet ? either through alk themselves or HP/teamwarrior ??? and now i hear i'm going to have to wait for a version 5... i can think of many things i'd like in version 5... but i'd like the things alk/hp/teamwarrior promised in version 4!!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a business partnership between ALK and TeamWarrior, things didn't quite go according to plan, and one or both decided to part company as promises being made weren't being completed from what I understand. I can't say any further than this.

TeamWarrior did have the traffic module almost ready, but since the break in partnership, ALK have decided to go ahead and write their traffic module. It was hoped to be in there for version 4, but didn't make it unfortunately, I for one am hoping it will be available for 5.

TeamWarrior did want to work on a Traffic service for all products but were limited to what SDK's were available, so in the end they made it available as a seperate application (see our review).
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/pocket-live-wire.php

I for one do hope that ALK do make Traffic available in version 5, I know they have been hard at work and it will be interesting to see what new features will be available for the next release.
gilbates
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think all the posts above have merit , it is a frustrating piece of software and has little if any relevance to the Pc software that comes with it , all i use that fore is to find a place , i then do all the plotting on the handheld , which is daft but trying to get a suitable route from the Pc to the handheld is to be frank CRAP

BUT having said all that , my Cplive is in the car everyday and goes everywhere with me and on the most part its been accurate and helpful , ok it throws up some strange box now and again about memmory or something , even though its nearly empty and brand new , but hey a reset sorts that

my opinion for what its worth is that it is almost good , it gets me to places i dont know and keeps me informed of upcoming turns and slip roads in plenty of time , making driving safer without doubt

to be honest guys , i like it Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: