Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATMAP active 10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATMAP active 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewisPrice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

After reading some of your comments on here i felt it was best to address you directly. I am the above mentioned Lewis and deal with some of the Sales questions for Satmap. With regards to our delays we can only apologise. The fact of the matter is that we are a start up company that is launching our first product, delays were unfortunate but expected. We can only give out the dates that we know to be true at the time and it is not uncommon for the first production run to be delayed as continual tests, changes and re-tests are absolutely vital. We would rather delay a product and have a few disgruntled customers than release a product which does not work to its full potential. Having sent our first batch to our distributors today i expect you will start to see the units in the shops by the end of next week, with new batches coming in on a weekly basis. As a company we are confident in our product and do not take on the attitude that once we have sold you the unit we no longer care, which is why we plan on allowing you to download software updates free of charge from our website. With regards to the bikemount comment made above, the picture shown is not all of the bikemount, you also need to have a replacement battery back mould that is the male part to the mount, and £25 is still cheaper than the Megellan Bikemount at £39.00 or indeed better than the non existent road angel bikemount. We have recently been told that we have been nominated for a product award and are also in the proccess of having the unit tested by one of the most respected UK outdoor journalists, with his feedback so far being over and above what we hoped for. I am not sure yet where his review will be published but as soon as i find out i will post it on this site. So in closing i would like to thank people for their support and patience and offer the sceptics the challenge of comparing our product to other GPS devices on the market today.

Many Thanks,

Lewis Price

Last edited by LewisPrice on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewisPrice wrote:
We have recently been told that we have been nominated for a product award and are also in the proccess of having the unit tested by one of the most respected UK outdoor journalist, with his feedback so far being over and above what we hoped for. I am not sure yet where his review will be published but as soon as i find out i will post it on this site.

So when do we get a review unit?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you for the reply Lewis and I'm sure we all appreciate that it's your first product and there is a certain amount of delays to be expected with the project to ensure it works as well as possible but it doesn't explain the fact that for example your website has not changed appearance since March and you told me back in June that it would be going live in a week or two.
The email people registering for information got back in March said we would be kept informed of developments...we haven't.

If the unit is going to be in the shops by the end of next week why haven't those that registered for one of the first run got a request for payment or even any further details of features etc?

The photo of the mount appears to be one used by several shops so why make people think they are having to pay £25 for a a piece of strapping and a little pit of plastic that looks like it should come as standard, why not provide a photo of what you get for £25?

You as a company may be confident in your product but it would help if you actually told as about it.
LewisPrice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delays to launching the website: we'd always planned on coinciding the launch of the full website with the actual launch of the product - so the manufacturing delays had an unfortunate knock on effect to the web. The reasoning behind this was to ensure that when people were confirming their pre-orders they'd have all the necessary information on the maps and ancillaries to get the best products for their needs. Plus it was hoped this would avoid a drip feed of partial information that might give false impressions or cause misunderstandings.

People on the pre-order list will be contacted next week. The units are being shipped over in staggered ammounts, so even though they will start to be in the shops by next week, they will not be widely available for another 2 to 3 weeks so people on the pre-order list will still be having units before they are readily available on the retail market.

With regards to the bike mount, it is unfortunate that the photo does not do the mount justice, and we take onboard your comments and will endevour to change it in the future. Let me assure you though that we thoroughly tested many different bike mount and the well respected ABUS bikemount was by far the most sturdy and effective, with it being able to be mounted on the stem, cross bars or handle bars. We have tested it very thoroughly in some arduous conditions and are confident that we have an excellent bike solution here.

Finally, thank you very much for you patience and your continued interest in Satmap and the Active 10: I'm sure you'll find it well worth the wait and we look forward fulfilling all the outstanding orders in the near future.
mark78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: existing landranger maps Reply with quote

Hello, does anyone know if you can use existing landranger maps as i have purchased 1:50k regions 1-4? can you use a blank SD card and load them yourself onto them?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: existing landranger maps Reply with quote

mark78 wrote:
Hello, does anyone know if you can use existing landranger maps as i have purchased 1:50k regions 1-4? can you use a blank SD card and load them yourself onto them?

Thanks

I very much doubt it, SatMap's data will be in a proprietary format, what were yours intended for?
mark78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OS mapping software Memory Map version 5. I also have the 1:50k regions 1-4 and a few 1:25k maps. Satmap are advertising the same maps for the Active 10 on an SD card. Since I have the maps on my PC already I would like to be able to copy them onto an SD card and use them that way?

Satmap are even going to offer this kind of function when you are able to download maps from their web site. Are the files going to be in the same format? The current OS maps have 3 files, one is the map itself, one for elevation data and the last for place names.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be possibel, although the maps look the same, they are coded in proprietary formats such that Anquet maps will only work with Anquet software, the same for MM and for SatMap.
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was dispatched today.next day delivery.i'll post tomorrow to let u all know what its like.i've only had it ordered since january Very Happy
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryanwal wrote:
mine was dispatched today.next day delivery.i'll post tomorrow to let u all know what its like.i've only had it ordered since january Very Happy

Shocked I've not even had an email asking if I want to confirm my pre-order yet!! Confused

I bet you £10 that the delay in it's arrival for the next 3 months is put down to the postal strike!! Laughing
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
bryanwal wrote:

Shocked I've not even had an email asking if I want to confirm my pre-order yet!! Confused

I bet you £10 that the delay in it's arrival for the next 3 months is put down to the postal strike!! Laughing
mine was not ordered thru satmap,i got mine from an online outdoor shop
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Review Reply with quote

There seems to be a review in PDA Essentials magazine.
PDA Essentials & GPS Advisor
Issue: 62/2007
page 94-95
Title:"Satmap Active 10"

Single Test
Outdoor GPS has traditionally been dominated by Magellan and Garmin, with their series of handheld receivers all following roughly the same format. The long, narrow devices in specially designed weatherproof cases have sold by the tens of thousands to walkers and other outdoor sportsmen and women, and the style has become the industry standard. Over the last couple of years PDAs and smartphones have joined the competition, as both PDAs and phones got smaller. Now we have a new player on the market in a new format

Verdict:
"... the combination of light weight, quality weatherproof casing and stunning battery life should see the product become a firm favourite on the UK outdoors scene."
Score:
9 out of 10 points; Value for money: 8 out of 10 points

That's all I could find on the web, if anyone can find the magazine and let us know what it says..
devonaire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Satmap Marketing Reply with quote

I notice that as the questions arrive, Lewis departs.

I wish I'd had the sales opportunity that's being missed by these guys.

There is so little info on the product it has created it's own hype and enigma. Surely if you were flogging this gear youd have told the world by now all the answers to this forums' questions.

Best buy the Garmin fer now and wait till the next fully tested version appears.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Marketing Reply with quote

devonaire wrote:

There is so little info on the product it has created it's own hype and enigma. Surely if you were flogging this gear youd have told the world by now all the answers to this forums' questions.

Best buy the Garmin fer now and wait till the next fully tested version appears.

Since you have no reason to think there is anything wrong with it, I can't see why you think you should be offering this advice.

At least Lewis has been here. He may have other priorities, you know.

I shall wait until I see some comments by users or reviews, but I'm not deciding now to wait until version 2 or something. I've got no basis for such a decision.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Marketing Reply with quote

DougWeller wrote:
devonaire wrote:

Since you have no reason to think there is anything wrong with it, I can't see why you think you should be offering this advice.

I think the fact that the thing has seen delay after delay after delay suggests SOMETHING has been wrong....on top of that the website was promised 3 months ago and I'm guessing they haven't launched that because they still aren't 100% sure of what features it will have.

I still can't get over the fact that this thing is 'in the shops' but Satmap still haven't emailed the people who ordered one any more details or asked if we want to confirm our order!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: