Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directions Ltd Navigator 7 Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directions Ltd Navigator 7 Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Directions Ltd Navigator 7 Review Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comEarlier versions of Directions Ltd's Navigator software had some very useful feature such as an odometer for business and personal use and a very accurate postcode lookup system, one which was often more accurate than their competitors. But in other areas it was limited and some features were missing.

Recently Directions Ltd released the latest version of their PocketPC Navigator application and our resident HGV driver and user Alex Dixon has been testing it in earnest!

Click here to read the full review.
Dreeder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using Directions Ltd navigator software since Version 4 on my laptop, I really liked the interface and im currently building myself a carpc setup based on the latest Laptop navigator 7 package.

Ive also very recently bought the Actis 3 Dedicated device they sell for my mothers car and im very impressed with the unit, the speed at which the unit acquires a signal, calculates and recalculates routes and updates during use is very impressive, also the maps seem to be amongst the clearest and most accurate ive seen on any device.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info:

http://directions.ltd.uk/pda-navigation/

Software with European maps: £89.99

Software with UK/Ireland maps: £69.99

MaFt
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, does it cover Cyprus? I'm going there in a couple of weeks and there seems to be nothing available. I have an earlier version, so would only have to pay the upgrade price!
Also, when you are off route, how quickly does it recalculate? I found with Navigator 6 that, in a dense city centre, it was much too slow to start recalculation (although very quick when it started) so that you had often passed the turning you needed before it had told you. Out on the open road, of course, it wasn't a problem. On the PC version you were able to adjust the distance off route before it would recalculate, but this option was not available on the PDA version
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they fixed the bug in the release version where the beta version messed up date/time of the device???

Edit: spelling
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robin ill have a good look later today for you

i never saw that problem with either v6 or v7 on any of my devices

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex
Could you please check my postcode sent in PM

theripper
alynsparkes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Directions 7 Reply with quote

I've been using Navigator 6, then 7 in a car-pc for a few months now. For anyone thinking of upgrading like me, it's worth it for the more accurate maps (at least around where I live).

In the PC version of 7, you can set it to enable the GPS automatically when it starts - I don't know if the same is true of the PDA version, but it removes one of the idiosyncracies.

Also, with the latest patch (7.1) you can set the size of the navigation window with comman-line switches - this lets you embed it into a front-end application like RoadRunner or In Car Terminal.

The complaint over the road map obscuring the route can be got around (again, in the PC version) by using European style mapping - it changes the colours of roads to those found on the continent (yellow with red borders for motorways etc), but requires a re-install of all the maps if you've picked UK style to start with.

Overall, I've been very impressed with Navigator 7 on the PC. The only thing lacking that I've thought would be nice is road names/number included in the spoken instructions.

Cheers,
Sparkey
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would need enhanced wav files or would have to use text to speech to be able to use text to speech on a pda I think it would end up sounding like copilot 5 to be honest I'm not a fan text to speech at all as you end upooking for the street name rather than the turning in say 200 yards is more theres an adaqate also the more simple the instruction the cognetive loading there is.

robin pm me and ill have alook at the postcodes

device Lumia 950 xl
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix have tried to send you a PM but for some reason it is not going through to my outbox or sent items
theripper
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email from the msn button as the email is just junk email box i use

device Lumia 950 xl
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix
You should now have a PM
theripper
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix
Thanks for the reply, it seems like they have fixed a problem they had with the version 6 that I bought when it was first released that had my postcode in the North Sea just off the Shetland Islands Laughing

theripper
Dreeder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update regarding the Directions LTD customer support... or lack of it...

Their website is quite misleading when it comes to Speed Camera.

Ive been trying to get the Speed Camera info for my Actis 3 which ive only had for 2months, Directions LTD are now saying that even though there site still says "Speed Cameras updates free for six months" they arent actually doing this and instead simply redirect users to this website...

In what way is that free updates?

Ive emailed Tomas at Directions LTD and he says its a misunderstanding...
Id call it Pathetic customer service and lies...

This applies to all Direction LTDs software packages and their standalone Actis unit.

Im in the process of contacting Trading Standards about Direction LTDs failure to Supply the service I paid for.
Dreeder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another update from me...

Today Tomas has supplied me with 6months access to the PocketGPSworld camera database, therefore, he has more than fulfilled what i hoped for.

I will obviously be continuing with the subscription once this period has ended and it has restored my faith in Directions Ltd, which is good because no-one else offers a software package which I like as much as the PC Navigator.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: