Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 3 Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator 3 was announced officially at CeBit on 18th March 2004 and has recently started shipping in bundle form. Free and discounted upgrades will be available from TomTom's website in April. TomTom have had a busy year in 2003-2004, releasing a Palm version of TomTom Navigator, announcing the release of TomTom Go (dedicated in-car) and now TomTom Navigator 3 with Traffic Update Support.

The full TomTom Navigator 3 Review can be read here.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent review thank you Dave.

I will be upgrading as soon as possible for a couple of reasons.

My main use for TOMTOM is when I am towing a caravan. The Itinerary Planner will be very useful to me, so that I can make sure that I am not being directed down any narrow lanes or near low bridges etc.

In addition I am also very interested in the Live Traffic service.

Including both of these new options and the new mapping I think it will be well worth the update fee.

Thumbs Up
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a lock up when useing the itinerary last night so had to restart and replan from my favorites also the eta is set the arrival time at the final destination

also serious probs with tt bt gps arrrrrghhhhhhhh Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to create an itinerary using locations stored in a POI file, I have a POI file called 'Waypoints' in it are yes youv'e guessed it waypoints which I have created, I do tend to use a this POI file a great deal. At the moment I have to select the first waypoint manually and then as I reach that destination select the next waypoint etc etc.

Overall the new additions and updated maps make the upgrade look worthwhile.

Nice review Dave

Richard
emcclem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Live Traffic Service and BT Car Kits Reply with quote

I'm interested in the forthcoming Traffic Service but concerned that this will be reliant on a mobile phone presumably via Blutooth connection. I ahve a BT enabled Car Kit but my Nokia pone will only support one BT connection at a time so it's either configured for the Traffic Service or the Car Kit but not both.

Am I correct in this assumption?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix, I'm getting frequent lockups even when using 3.01 and I don't even have to be doing anything. I think it's more of a memory issue as I'm low on memory.

Rich, in the itinerary you can use your home location, address, recent location, favourite or POI. Basically everything you see in the Navigate menu.

emcclem, you are correct in your assumption Crying or Very sad
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Dave, For a short while I thought you would only be able to use locations stored in the 'Favourite' Menu.

Looking forward to TT3 Thumbs Up

Richard
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good review Dave, thanks.

One question. Have TomTom acknowledged your "freezing" problems on the 2210?

In a post in the forums (click here) another user says he got a "it works for us" response from TomTom when reposrting difficulties with the 2210.

A fair few of us will have this iPAQ and the prospect of upgrading to software that might not work does not work on this device appeal, to say the least. I hope you are right and issue a further update to fix this.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course that last paragraph should have read:

A fair few of us will have this iPAQ and the prospect of upgrading to software that might not work on this device does not appeal, to say the least. I hope you are right and TomTom issue a further update to fix this.

(It's late OK, and I can't ttypee)
raboyme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave, and thank's for the review.

As I'm going to be a Scandinavian user of TomTom 3 (as soon they start selling it), I'm wondering about the Major roads Europe coverage in Finland? Is there any?

The coverage of Finland in the normal Scandinavian maps are still poor, so I'm goin to get the D,A & CH version first, and get later the whole West-European map package.

But what about the TomTom Routeplanner. Can I find a better coverage of Finlands mainroads there, than in TomTom 3 Major roads of Europe or in the "normal" Scandinavian map package?

Best regards
Roy
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, cheers.

RichDem. What a good idea! You can then easily see which waypoint is the closest to your current location, so you can automatically pick the quickest route between all of them. Now if the itinery planner could do that...
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comments:

I also have a Garmin iQue here (had it since January), and that has the M6 Toll road on it. According to their web site, the iQue also uses Navteq (or Navtech when it was released) map data, so I'm surprised this isn't in the TomTom data set.

(this one is a little pedantic): The 3D view isn't actually 3D at all, is it? It's really just a perspective view of a 2D map layout. If it were properly 3D, you would be able see hills and valleys as the roads go up and down them. This isn't specifically a TomTom issue, as it's the same with the other products that offer this feature.
MikeIB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there are now other versions of Navigator (Palm and Go), I'd be interested to know how version 3 compares against them. In particular, I haven't seen anyone comment on whether this version allows you to see road names in the navigation mode (I'm assuming not looking at the images in the review).

Mike
Mickmay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great revue - thanks

This is my first venture into the GPS world and your site has been really useful.

I have TT3 and an XDA2 - it took several hours to install and get running after talking with TT telephone support. I had hoped the gps driver 2.09 for the XDA2 would be on the installation CD - but I still had to download it from the TT site Sad

I have not had a problem with lock ups - but I do have a problem with the TT3 car cradle power plug. It seems to be fractionally smaller than the mains adapter power plug (the one you plug into the bluetooth unit). This results in intermittent power to the BT unit when in the car with the consequent need to reset the BT unit to re-aquire the sat signal! I can mimic the poor contact just by rotating the plug in the socket of the BT unit.

On an incidental note - will I be able to use Anquet maps with the TT3 bluetooth adapter? and my XDA2? Or does the TomTom gps "Fudge" stop this working?

Keep up the good work! Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
I also have a Garmin iQue here (had it since January), and that has the M6 Toll road on it. According to their web site, the iQue also uses Navteq (or Navtech when it was released) map data, so I'm surprised this isn't in the TomTom data set.

Mike (Trafcam), can you confirm which version of City Select you're running ? I don't have V6 but I asked someone to confirm V6 and they said it didn't have the M6 Toll Road on it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: