Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Emap & Topo maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Emap & Topo maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin Emap & Topo maps? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I think GPS is great and own a few but I was just wondering if my Emap has any life left in it yet?

The Emap is still a great little GPS. It's good on battery power and is still one of the smallest dedicated GPS packages with graphic display.
It has a whooping 8Mb of memory so it can't hold much in the way of maps. I could look to getting a large memory card if it's worth it.

Software - I have only the old GB Roads & Recreation plus an early Map Source UK maps package.

So to find a new niche it would need to be as an off road system, Garmin Topo are the terrain detail maps I believe but I have no experience with these.

So,

How do the Garmin topo maps compare to Memory Map OS Maps?

Can an Emap run any version of Garmin Topo?
(If is can is it worth it as the screen is only black & White with about 8 grey shades)

finally, will any of the map segments fit on an 8meg card?

Thanks

Rich.

Smile
wontolla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rich, but the garmin topo will not work on the eMap! ( An expensive mistake I made earlier this year!) However I agree with all you say about the unit, I love mine and wouldn't swop it for anything! It does everything I want it to do & more & has been a potential life saver several times. I have two 128 meg cards & several smaller ones for walking etc & can fit most of Europe on the two 128s (handy for a recent trip to France/Belgium/Germany/Switzerland/Austria) I have never really needed topo mapping & was quite dissapointed with the Topo I did buy (run on desktop) The paths/tracks that were on it just dissapeared with no continuation and any tracks you were plotting had to be guessed at, using a paper map, not ideal. However, by using the waypoint system on the topo and downloading them to your eMap, it gives you very accurate way-finding on your GPS.
Baz.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Emap & Topo maps? Reply with quote

mambojimbo wrote:

How do the Garmin topo maps compare to Memory Map OS Maps?

They don't at all. OS maps have much more detail even the 1:50k.

Best bet is to use the Emap as a normal handheld GPS and invest in MemoryMap with either 1:50k or 1:25k maps. Plan your routes and waypoints on the PC, print off a customised map, download the routes / waypoints (?need to check if MM supports the eMap - it should be possible) and enjoy the walk.
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wontolla wrote:
Sorry Rich, but the garmin topo will not work on the eMap! ( An expensive mistake I made earlier this year!)

Hi Baz

This is surprising as I managed to install it on my emap with no issues. I was quite disappointed though. I am used to memory map and use that on my Ipaq with a navman sleeve and my PDA/phone with bluetooth gps.
This is great and gives so much information.

I found that when using TOPO on the PC you just get the standard line map for roads but also contour lines - topological info only. I was hoping that more info would be available (like paths etc) but no. Then when I downloaded it to the emap it was just the same old road information but with contour lines. I think that I've become too used to my PDA's fast, bright colour screen so I found the emap's screen quite limited for detailed information. I guess I just haven't used it in a while.

However I did find that the emap will connect seamlessly with memory map and can upload or download created tracks, way points or route plans. This is how I'll use the emap now. The emap is still great due it's small size and power requirement but I'll pre-program the route, or simply use it to record the journey so I can upload it later. If I get really lost then the emap will get me to the nearest main road so it is still a good tool but no replacement for the OS map.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys. I haven't lost anything by this exercise as I managed to friend with the software and had a little try before you buy. Smile
wontolla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Rich.
I could NOT install topo on my eMap! it would load OK but came up with'cannot unlock maps' I contacted Garmin over the matter & got a reply to the effect 'Topo is NOT COMPATABLE with the eMap' so how you got it on yours I have no idea!
I use Quo Pro & find it great apart from the GUI & lack of manual. I am more or less getting the hang of it now tho. It is MUCH cheaper than Memory Map tho!
I have a collection of over 100 OS maps and quite a few Harveys & I love my printed maps so I tend to use both GPS & map together, (& sometimes even a compass) sort of belt & braces approach! Guess 'once a Scout, always a Scout!
Heres to Muddy Boots!
Baz.
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting!

I've just had a quick chat with this guy and it seems that I didn't get these unlock issues as his version is, how would you say, less than legitimate.. Embarassed

So no unlock necessary, however it did and still does work!

This is very strange, although not a legit install (not unlocked) it still works on the emap and shows contour line on the LCD screen. So why Garmin are saying it is not compatible is beyond me.

Maybe I should send them a photo of it working, although I probably should just delete the maps as they are clearly no legit. They aren't particularly useful either compared to OS maps so I won't miss them. The emap with standard GB maps is fine.
Rich.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: