Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Activation problems Navman se & Ipaq
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Activation problems Navman se & Ipaq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Activation problems Navman se & Ipaq Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Just bought a Navman sleeve but having difficulty getting it up and running.
I'm generally good with hardware and software and have run several GPS systems in the past. Currently have a SPV M3100 running just about everything.

So back to my problem.

I have the Navman sleeve which I think is a 3400. The software is SmartST Pro V1.91 for Pocket PC. The plan was to give my old Ipaq 3950 a second lease of life as a portable system running mainly Memory Map.

It seems that the actual driver to operate the Navman GPS is part of the SmartSt software as the Ipaq, memory map, GPS Gate and TomToms does not know what to do with this.

So I started the installation of SmartSt which goes fine until the activation is required. 'Click to allow it to contact the internet' - this is where the problems start. No internet connection!

So I exit Comodo firewall - no joy
Connect to my broadband switch/router and put the PC outside the firewall (into a DMZ), also disabled stealth mode and enabled ping - no joy!
Also went into the DEP settings in Windows & set the various SmartSt .exe's to be excluded.

In desperation I signed up for dial-up account and plugged my laptop straight into the phone socket - still no internet connection when activating!

So what can I do now?

My OS is Windows XP SP2 with all updates. Active sync 4.2.
I checked to make sure that the Ipaq can access the internet via the PC each time.
I've also tried on another Ipaq 3950 which is still running the standard Windows CE2002 (mine has been upgraded to CE2003).

So I can install the SmartSt application but not activate it, though with it installed at least TomTom's knows that there is a Navman GPS connected. It evens shows the spinning disk in the GPS setup screen. This I think is just showing that TomTom's can communicate with the driver but the driver (SmartST) is not powering up the actual GPS.

So again - what can I do?
I don't even want to use SmartST, if I can just get a driver that will make the sleeve operate then Memory Map or GPSgate will do the rest.

Can anybody help?

I have filled out the form on the Navman webpage but the site in general was not very helpful, and from what I've read so far neither is the company's technical support.

Thank you.

Rich
Confused
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news hopefully

I phoned Navman customer support today (impatient as I am) and SmartST V1.91 is no longer supported. Advise was to throw away the disk set as a new set will be arriving in the post shortly, all free of charge.

So the quick answer is SmartST V2 is currently the earliest supported version. Still I'm very happy that Navman haven't left me high and dry.

Fingers crossed it will work when I receive it. Smile
pinzpilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: I'm having the same problem........... Reply with quote

mambojimbo wrote:
Good news hopefully

I phoned Navman customer support today (impatient as I am) and SmartST V1.91 is no longer supported. Advise was to throw away the disk set as a new set will be arriving in the post shortly, all free of charge.

So the quick answer is SmartST V2 is currently the earliest supported version. Still I'm very happy that Navman haven't left me high and dry.

Fingers crossed it will work when I receive it. Smile

mambojimbo,
First, can I please ask you where in the world did you get a telephone number to talk to anyone at NAVMAN. I've had SmartST Pro working with my iPaq 3850 and NAVMAN 3420 sleeve ever since it first came out. In fact, I was one of their beta testers before their first release. Spent literally hundreds of hours and thousands of miles testing. Worked perfectly. But, not anymore since my computer crashed. I have emailed NAVMAN so many times it's ridiculous. They will not respond! Now, they just seem to have abandoned me and probably many others. I simply can't justify turning this once perfectly working system/setup into a very expensive doorstop. Nor, with their lack of responses, am I to inclined to purchase any other product from them. But I digress. If you can give me any clue as to how to actually talk to a live human being at NAVMAN, I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mark
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

Likewise I went from spitting fire (and foul language) to not being able to praise them enough. The number was hard to find and I can't remember how my partner came across it but here it is (drum roll)
01293 780500 Navman - Crawley

I simply explained my situation and the new disks were dispatched. They arrived after about a week due to a postal strike - typical. They worked perfectly on first use, no tricks needed. Simply allowed the program past my firewall and it activated seamlessly.

Let me know if that number doesn't work and I'll get the Mrs back on the case.

Good luck Very Happy
jamsdud1321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have this disk that is talked about in this post?? I'm trying to contact navman USA and have had no luck. I called the number posted and it's for the UK. They say they do not support the unit and they don't have the updated version disk that's mentioned. They say it's only available in the US.

If anyone has a copy the could burn and send to me or if it can't be copied if you send it I can use it activate my software and would be happy to return it. I just need to get my GPS working again!

Any other news and fixes on this issue would be much appreciated.
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, just an update - no to US maps!

There isn't a working phone number for Navman in the US, also UK Navman only have Europe maps so if your in the states I think your on your own. Sad

Good news if your in the UK though Smile
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the GPS running, you can use an GPS based appliaction, including TomTom - so you are not intierly stuck

Little know fact : in the very early days the Navman and TomTom were in bed together, The Ipaq Sleeve and TomTom mapping software were bundled together - how times have changed.
Supes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57063

I just posted here about this very subject, phone number and everything Smile

Good luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: