Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT-GPS stopped working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT-GPS stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plodders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: BT-GPS stopped working Reply with quote

I have an Orange SPV M600 running TT6 + BT-GPS connected by blue tooth.
The system has worked fine both here in the UK and on recent trip to Austria and Germany.
On a recent UK trip i set the unit for home (mainly for radar locations and petrol station POI as I knew the route) and after about 10 miles the map froze. Both the GPS detector and the SPV were on the dashboard in the sun and being simultaneusly charged
I continued the journey and waited until I arrived home - on checking the SD card I could not read it in the SPV or in the card reader in my laptop.

I had a spare 2GB SD card so reloaded the software and POI's on to the card - I had real trouble in the set up procedure and tried both com 6 and 7 - the GPS display in the GPS status menu would sometimes show my position but always in a grey/blue display mode and with "no GPS device" - occassionally it shows on the map page your location again with "no GPS device" in the blue /grey mode and then freezes.
I have noticed that the green light on the device sometimes flashes and sometimes is on permanantly.
Any suggestions?
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plodders wrote:
I have an Orange SPV M600 running TT6 + BT-GPS connected by blue tooth.

I know your post is now dated, but I just want to post my findings in case it could still help you or others.

If your BT GPS device is anything like this...

Well I bought 2 of these about 30 months ago, and I realise they are old standard now what with the new fangled uber SiRFstarIII... but about 6 months ago both my units stopped working smoothly.

One failed entirely to power up, and the other wouldn't charge from mains properly (rapid flashing yellow light) and no held charge when coming to use it.....and would only work (sometimes) if I kept it wired in constantly via car's cigarette power socket.

A new battery didn't help. After close inspection it turns out that what I thought was of no consquence (one of the rubber feet had come out of each unit - clips in to the base and in the side of the unit), was actually was cause of the problem.

The rubber foot wasn't just to help preven stop the unit slipping about on dash.. but it also slightly helps to keep the battery tight and snug in the device itself. It's not an ideal design. Without the small rubber foot which wedges inside, the battery's connection area doesn't get pushed firmly enough against the gps power pins inside.

It's low-tech.. but I folded a matchstick and then forced it in the gap where the rubber foot once was (from below) - which now keeps the battery tightly held firm against the pins inside.

Both my GPS units now charge normally (yellow block light), acquire fix fine, and then stay fine and stable to use as in car.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah.... and on many occasions when I was trying to get one of the devices working... the bluetooth light would still be come on (until it failed entirely for power - but now mended), but no gps green light, flashing or otherwise... or only very occasionally green at switch on for a moment - which is sort of like the symptoms you described.

It was only after I fortuitously discovered the battery wasn't being held as tight as it should be against the gps power pins (it looked fine at first).. and fixed it with a wedge, that it now gets signal and works as new again.

To determine if it could be same issue for you, if you can open access to your battery comparment, you could maybe do what I did at first and use your thumbs to press the battery firmly against the power pins and see if you can then get a fix - green light ect.
plodders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a nimber of things and almost packed the unit ready for returning under warranty - as a last resort I hard reset the PDA and reloaded the TT software - and it worked!
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my suspicion that some of the old (sealed) socket and emtac units which failed to get/acquire green light, (with attempts at 24 hour discharge malarky), might have actually been affected by the battery not getting a firm connection to the pins inside. It can be a less than perfect fit even with the all the feet in position.

This unit initially refused to get green light (acquire a fix), had flashing yellow light when trying to charge, and then seemingly entirely lost power with no lights. I was ready to throw it in the bin - until wedging the battery and it working like new again. The match ends just give an extra push to the back of the battery and hold it tightly in position, firmly against the connection pins.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1464332622&size=o[/url]

Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plodders wrote:
I tried a nimber of things and almost packed the unit ready for returning under warranty - as a last resort I hard reset the PDA and reloaded the TT software - and it worked!

Ahh nice one. Well I suspected it could be one of a few things in your case... doesn't sound like it was a battery issue for your after all - but I'm hoping my solution might still be useful for others. Glad you got it sorted out and working again.

And I'm also happy my 2 gps devices have been properly working again this past week just like new, as been without one of them totally for the past 6 months, and a wing-and-a-prayer when using the other which needed constant charge from cigarette power socket to sometimes get working.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Socket about this and they replied on the lines of that they had identified the same issue and introduced a spacer towards the end of the unit's manufacture.

They no longer make gps units - or so they told me.

A few weeks ago I removed my match-stick solution from both my gps units, and instead cut a slight spacer from an orange plastic blade guard of a cheap razer. Just a little bit removed from one thin side of the blade guard.

When you open up the Socket battery compartment, there is a backing plate at the back centre (non terminal connection side).. left and right being open space. This is what keeps the battery in position.. but not firmly enough it seems in some units.

I simply taped my makeshift spacer on to the battery to align with the backing plate, and that makes the battery fit nice and snug in the unit, and a more sightly appearance than matchsticks as well. Not had a problem with either GPS unit since.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: