Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with uploading waypoints to Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with uploading waypoints to Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinegartom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Problem with uploading waypoints to Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX and am having some problems uploading routes from a walking magazine's website that I use. The magazine is called TRAIL MAGAZINE. COUNTRY WALKING also uses the same software, which is designed by a company called wherefromhere, who up to yet have not been very helpful.

www.countrywalkingroutes.co.uk

The first problem is that I am a Mac user and the software that the website uses to transfer the waypoints is PC only. But this may not be something anyone can advise on...?

My friend has a PC that I have been using, but EVEN THEN, there is a problem:

The software says that I cannot upload the route as waypoint files because the GPS is limited to only 50 waypoints. I know that this is not the case. The unit can store up to 250 waypoints per route.

(http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_etrex-vista-hcx_en.html tells me this)

Does anyone know a way around this? Is there a means of transferring the data manually?

I have been able to transfer the routes as tracklogs, but on the trail found this pretty useless, as the unit can only tel you "north to point 12" or whatever, not how far it is, how long it will take you and the other useful bits of info waypoint routes do.

Am I just stupid?

Thanks for your help,

vinegartom
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should be able to have 250 points per route. 50 is the maximum number of routes so if it's complaining about that number, how many routes do you have - take into account how many you already have in the unit and how many you're trying to transfer?
vinegartom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an issue with the number of routes that I have on the device, more an issue with the number of waypoints that the plug-in THINKS it is capable of accommodating PER ROUTE. There are only about 6 routes on there, if that, since I've been having this problem and haven't been able to transfer many anyway.

Any ideas...?
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the plug-in but the screenshot shows options for selecting the model. Are you able to select a Garmin eTrex Vista HCX and what exactly does the Details button display?

I take it the routes you've been able to transfer are less than 50 points. For the ones saved as tracks, you should be able to use MapSource on your friends PC to transfer them from the unit. Install GPSBabel http://www.gpsbabel.org/ and you can convert the file using the Track to Route filter and transfer back to the unit.

Are you able to save the walking routes as a file and then transfer to the GPS using one of the track/route programs out there for the Mac?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: