Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beware of globalpositiongsystems.co.uk
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of globalpositiongsystems.co.uk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoltari
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiron, I am very interested in your little accident:

What effect did it have on your hard drive? Did it damage the drive, or just wipe the data?

I ask mainly because I am interested to know just how powerful the magnet is in this device and wonder if it could affect other magnetically susceptible things???

As regards global positioning systems, I have dealt with them on several occasions and have always found their staff to be pretty helpful - I can’t comment on your experience of course, but I think you have maybe been a harsh to them here… Would you accept liability for product that you don’t manufacture yourself?

Granted, these things should have magnetic warning stickers on them, seems such things are pretty standard these days on other such items, but one can only assume they have been selling them for years without an incident such as yours occurring…

Just a thought anyway, no offence intended.
MisterMap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Haicom 204 Reply with quote

This guy cannot be serious, firstly GPS are a great company I have had much dealing with and would not hesitate to reccomend their services, as per the tech support, they do a great job of supporting a large number of products at NO extra cost to customers! try find that in the high street shops!, he says he finds it wrong that coments on the situation have been brought to a forum, but its ok for him to "make slanderous comments in this public arena"!! talk about dual standards, are the people he is slating not allowed to have their say?! i thought that was the point of forums.
and as per magnets in the haicom, i dont know if its just my unit, but the magnet is fairly feeble, ok to hold the device in place, but hardly enough to damage a hard drive.
does it say in the instructions that you shouldnt drive your car over the unit? at what point does common sense prevail? personally i wouldnt try sticking something that even might be magnetic to any magnetic media device, especially not a laptop. whats he thinking?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MisterMap,

please be so kind not to add insult to injury. Not all our users are technically conversant with magnetic fields and their effects.

Just the facts, please...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I know full well that strong magnetic fields can affect hard-drives I don't think the case has been proven or disproven that the gps mouse actually caused the HD failure (yet!).

As such neither party can be blamed - if it transpires that the mouse didnot cause the problem Inspiron8500 will have some apologies to make. If on the other hand it is proven I'm sure Globalpositioning will take heed and alert their customers.

Forums can be great for venting frustration but please the facts should be used not supposition.

You could be damaging someones business without justification.
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received a call from globalpositioning systems this morning offering a 'gesture of good will' to cover some of the cost of retreiving the data on the hard drive.

I am glad someone has taken the time to emphasise with my situation rather than deny any connection.

Now this is how you can judge good customer service. People are too keen to say a company is good when all the company do is what they should be doing anyway. Fast order and quality goods is what you pay for, what you have a right to. Good customer service and a good company should be judged only on how they deal with problems and unhappycustomers, and not if they fulfill orders efficiently.

Globalpositioning systems have came through and apologised and are prepared to do what is necessary to retain me as a customer rather than turn away.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoltari wrote:
I ask mainly because I am interested to know just how powerful the magnet is in this device and wonder if it could affect other magnetically susceptible things???
In most cases if the magnetic field is strong, then what you'll do is magnetise the head away from the disk so it will be stuck on the inside of the drive and not able to move. Eventually something will break.

You can also find as the disk itself is magnetic media, that you can quickly wipe a disk. In most cases if the magnetic field is strong enough you just hear a clunk clunk noise where the head is trying to move but can't because it's magnetised.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hard disk heads operate above and below the disk platter and on some HDD's there may well be more than one platter. All it takes is a magnetic field srong enough to make one of these heads touch the disc platter whish is spinning at anywhere upwards of 4000 rpm and you have instant data corruption to one or more sides of the disc.

The tolerances are so fine that even a particle of smoke is larger than the gap between read/write head and disc surface. If anything, given how delicate hard discs are it always amazes me that they are in general so resilient!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiron8500 wrote:
Gracar thank you for your comment. I think you fail to realise that I was not aware this product had a magnet full stop! As you may witness the globalpositioningsystems website does not mention this device is magnetic nor does the box or the manual. It did not stick to my laptop so I was unaware of the damage it was causing.

I hope you've got your problem sorted but in the manual on page 8 it does say there is a magnet in the base

http://www.haicom.com.tw/products.htm

I hope that you haven't lost any vital documents as when I used a recovery service last year the quote was approx 2 grand to recover the files off an 80GB maxtor drive that had got wrecked - I decided that 2 weeks work since my last backup wasn't worth that and re did the work.

I initially read this thread whilst trying to order 2 haicom external antenna's (these are magnetic) - an old one of which was sitting right next to my dell notebook as I was searching for in stock replacements - I hadn't realised this damage could happen but I'm not sure the retailer would be to blame.

I have always had excellent service from global postioning systems and would have used them today if they had had stock of the items I wanted. I hope your experience doesn't put other off using them.
BillS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Magnetic GPS wiping hard drive Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I bought a GPS receiver to work with my laptop. Worked exceptionally well for a few minutes. Saw that it had a strong magnetic base and thought - "that's good, it will stick to the car." For no good reason, I plonked it on the wrist rest of the laptop and - guess what - it wiped the hard disc drive. Not only did it wipe it, it successfully jiggered it to the extent that it will never work again. My own stupid fault and I wouldn't dream of moaning to the supplier since it is obvious to me that it would do this. Why? 'Cause I'm a computer consultant..............
sparkyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am really pleased that Inspiron8500 has come to a good agreement with Globalpostioning, it seems that their customer services dept. and beliefs are as true as everyone says.

It does however show that with a minor exception nobody here has mentioned anything about the importance of backing up data. In this day where almost everyone has a CD-RW or even DVD -R that there should be no excuse. It does save those embarrasing times when you push the wrong button etc etc. - I would like to point out too that I am as guilty as the next person and havn't backed up my data for ages.

Now I'm off to practice what i preach Embarassed ...............

Cheers

Sparky
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the strong magnets were necessary as part of the antenna for the GPS signals.

As another warning, don't slip your small GPS bluetooth unit in your pocket next to your credit cards. Mine wiped out the magnetic stripes on a train ticket and parking ticket in my wallet.
Inspiron8500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys thanks for your replies. BillS I am sorry to hear you had the same accident as me. I think you miss the point why I complained to the retailer. When i took it from the box beleive it or not my hands ARE NOT magnetic so short of having x-ray eyes to see through the rubber base I did not know there was a magnet so that it could stick to the outside of the car. It didn't say 'Magnetic GPS receiver' or indicate anywhere that it had a magnetic base.

The other reason I was annoyed at the retailer was beacuse the first person I spoke to laughed at me for thinking magnets damaged hard drives, himself supposedly offering 'technical support'.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
As another warning, don't slip your small GPS bluetooth unit in your pocket next to your credit cards. Mine wiped out the magnetic stripes on a train ticket and parking ticket in my wallet.

Is this because your BT receiver has a magnet in it or some other reason?

I ask because as far as I am aware my Navman 4410 rx does not have a magnet in it.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that the manual that came with my TomTom Bluetooth GPS does have a pretty good warning about the magnet in the base of the unit. It's amazing how easy it is to slip into the routine of putting it on top of a wallet, or (worse) a backup tape, when carrying it in from the car when I get to work. No incidents so far, though, always managed to stop myself before it comes into contact.
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but some of this is like the American'trying to sue an airline as they gave out packets of nuts that did no state 'may contain traces of nuts' on the packing.

Cigarette packets have dire warnings - people still smoke them.

Even with a warning in big bold letters stating 'contains very strong magnet' people would complain that it did not state 'do not put near XXX'
where XXX could be a very long list. Whether this is a GPS unit or fridge magnet!

Remember the McDonalds case of the hot coffee the female car driver bought and tried to balance between her knees and scalded herself.

"Warning do not place hot coffee between legs, under armpits, near your privates... may scald"

Must check my mobile phone manual as I've heard of incidents of them being lodged rectally! Should they have been warned?

Wink Wink Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: