Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you have to do whatever is necessary to safeguard your interests.

...as always, there will be people who agree with you and others who just moan about it.

At £19/year, the PGPSW subscription and database is still a bargain compared with a lot of others
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19£/year. all really!

I fully support this, but obviously not everyone shares my, or others, views.

When it was FREE and "volountary"<(That's spelt wrong!) contributions were requested, I did my bit!! making that contribution. Someone, somewhere had to spend time creating the files etc etc, and it was well worth it.

As another poster has made mention, a single speed violation will probably cost three times as much. I rest my case.

Also, the Pocket GPS database in my opinion is more up to date, and accurate, compared to the "official" TomTom database.

Keep up the good work, lads.

100% agree

Cheers
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
aj2052 wrote:
There is another alternative, revert it back to free then no one would need to bootleg.

I suppose this is timed to now issue an update after nearly a month.

As you've never subscribed I don't see why you should be that interested?

Yes, I'd like to see an answer to that one. The matter of posting or not is unrelated - why does he care if it takes a day or six months to issue an update? Maybe he's interested because his copy is nearly a month old now? Perhaps he gets it from one of the pirates and is worried it'll now dry up somewhat?

Anyway, my main reason for chipping in is to repeat an earlier request to re-classify people, so that we can see who's a subscribed member and who isn't. I naiively believed that a Forum rank of "Experienced" would have only been attained by a subscribed member. I'd like to know who is and who is not a member please - mark everybody as Member or Guest and don't allow posts from Guests in Members Forums please. Shouldn't be any problem now if membership lasts a year.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
vaioable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want to start a book as to when they lock this thread when they dont agree with the people that complain??

And before you ask yes i am a yearly subscriber. (even though once they promised they would never charge now they want all the money in one go.)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rydell wrote:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the work you have put into the data base but feel £19 per year is too much. Still when needs must I guess I will be joining the yearly membership but feel like every one else I am paying too much for most services in the UK than any where else in Europe.
Thank You Confused
Peter
Tomtom G500

Peter, Peter, what are you on? £19 is too much? If, on each of those four epic excursions around the country, you go without two beers per journey, you've covered the cost of annual subscription. On the other hand, for four journeys a year, what are you paying in car costs per mile? Tax, insurance, MOT (I don't suppose you need a service every year though). Get rid of the car and use public transport - you'll probably find taxis are cheaper than owning a car.
Or are you saying you only travel away from your home area 4 times a year and you know all your local cameras AND the guys who put up new ones in your area tell you about them? You've only got to forget once, or your mates be a bit late telling you, and you lose three times the subscription.

vaioable I don't know about starting a book on how long it goes before "they" lock it to gag the complainers, I'm not a bookie. But personally, I'll bet you a year's subscription they don't lock it for at least a month - "they" would be too embarrassed to stifle debate by that tactic. I myself will never lock it. The true gauge of whether people seriously object will be the renewals - if it's too expensive, they won't renew, simple economics of supply and demand.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...Yes, I'd like to see an answer to that one.

aj2052 wrote:
...have you never heard of of posting IDs

Sorry to point this out Dennis but it does look like aj2052 may have two login accounts. One for posting and one for access to the database.

aj2052 do correct me if I am wrong!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a year's subscription from the start to make the most of the forum part of PGPSW and although I've reported cameras I have yet to use the database but I'm not complaining.

It's a real shame that some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about something, but sadly that's just human nature.

...as for talking about starting a book for how long it'll take to lock this thread, well that's just crazy talk and baiting trouble
BJA416
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rydell wrote:
Sorry to say that I do not agree with the above postings! I use the data base to up date my Tom Tom G500 about 4 times a year as I only travel around the UK only occasionally so I don't need monthly updates! Just every now and then to keep up to date with my machine. It seems that now I will have to pay even more than the £8 per year to get any! Incidentally I do not visit the warez sites mentioned. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the work you have put into the data base but feel £19 per year is too much. Still when needs must I guess I will be joining the yearly membership but feel like every one else I am paying too much for most services in the UK than any where else in Europe.
Thank You Confused
Peter
Tomtom G500

A database that has every type of speed camera, broken down by speed if you want it, and every red light camera for only £19 a year. For me it is a no brainer. Even if you only update 4 times a year that's only £4.75 an update. You would spend more to park your car in some car parks for a few hours. £19 a year is 5p a day for such a comprehensive database of UK speed cameras and red light cameras. In the great scheme of things £19 is a bargain. A speed camera add on for a Tom Tom is £19 a year and for that you get one download I believe from Tom Tom. It will be out of date before the month is done. Pocket GPS World gives you unlimited dowloads through out the year, with the database updated monthly or more, not to mention the FREE POI downloads if you want them.
hookiestreet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the majority on this one. i think the guys at pgps have done a great job creating and managing the database and i belive it doesnt seem right that some people abuse it. £19 a year for monthly updates created by true loyal fans of the site is nothing if you ask me. keep up the good work guys and thanks for everything.
Tom Tom Navigator 6
PDAir Aluminium Case
Medion MD PPC 150 Desktop Cradle

Last edited by hookiestreet on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
DennisN wrote:
...Yes, I'd like to see an answer to that one.

aj2052 wrote:
...have you never heard of of posting IDs

Sorry to point this out Dennis but it does look like aj2052 may have two login accounts. One for posting and one for access to the database.

Y'know me, just a simple old man. I thought he was using "posting ID" as another name for "guest poster" or "visitor". He hasn't done bad with posts as a non-paying poster, has he? - over 400 posts. I really must go Searching to see what he had to say about pMobiles in the database he doesn't buy (sorry, - doesn't pay for).

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:

If he has got two login accounts he's breaking the FORUM RULES:
"Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed and any user found to be posting under multiple identities will be banned."
Samsung Galaxy S21
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not get too upset with the people that:-

1. think £19 is too much to pay
2. think that they do not have to subscribe

The world is made up of lots of different people.

Those who will now get caught for speeding and hopefully banned from the roads. We don't need them on the roads - they will always argue that they are safe at speed etc etc. And never consider what happens if they meet someone like themselves. Or perhaps their shattered families left behind.

And we also have those people who choose to ride on the backs of others hard work and achievement and not make a valid contribution or committment to society.

Both sorts of people are OK - we wouldn't have half the number of posts or points of discussion without them.

So keep on whingeing people.

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis I dont think you will find any posts on pmobiles from me, I have no thoughts on the matter but then again if you read searches like you read postings then why bother
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rydell wrote:
Sorry to say that I do not agree with the above postings! I use the data base to up date my Tom Tom G500 about 4 times a year as I only travel around the UK only occasionally so I don't need monthly updates! Just every now and then to keep up to date with my machine. It seems that now I will have to pay even more than the £8 per year to get any! Incidentally I do not visit the warez sites mentioned. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the work you have put into the data base but feel £19 per year is too much. Still when needs must I guess I will be joining the yearly membership but feel like every one else I am paying too much for most services in the UK than any where else in Europe.
Thank You Confused
Peter
Tomtom G500

I myself do not use my TomTom enough to justified £19 and liked the idea of £2 now and again, but at the end of the day, if people are paying the £2 and then posting it all over for free, I do understand and agree with what you have done. its these people that making everyone pay
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a subscriber, and don't really use my sat nav that much not usually venturing too far, other than on holiday to Florida, and the speed camera database means not a lot to me - my i3 still has the one that was free from this site

What I cannot get is the implication that if you don't have the database the roads will be safer as speeding motorists will be caught and banned

Are the people with the cameras loaded in their sat nav's who speed and slow down for the camera's less of a danger than those without the database in the units?

If I were a regular road user £19 a year is a fair price, but I know where all the 6 cameras are on the roads around where we live.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32

Jump to: