Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long does it take to verify a submission?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long does it take to verify a submission?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: How long does it take to verify a submission? Reply with quote

I submitted two speed changes to two cameras a week ago and also added a new camera on the other side of the road to an existing camera a couple of days after. If I read the Criteria right if I'm first with any of these I may be eligible for the free lifetime membership (hopefully!??!?!). The speeds haven't shown up as corrected yet nor the missing camera. How long can it take to verify the submissions and for me to find out if I'm lucky enough!??!?!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ever long it takes for two or more other people to either verify the locations you submitted by visiting the site or others to submit the same cameras and location.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a back-log of about six hundred cameras due to being away for a week... normally submissions are processed within a few days and then obviously verification depends on location and number of other users who submit the data - anywhere from 1 day to 1 month!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I verified a mobile camera on Friday, which was submitted on 29th April. Deep in wild South Wales, where we verifiers venture only occasionally. Conversely, a month or so ago, I was about to verify a brand new fixed camera just up the road from Harrods in London which hadn't even been there four days earlier, but when I went to do so, found it had already been verified.

The really significant part of MaFt's answer is "Depends on location". On a busy motorway it's usually no time at all, on a remote minor road it can take us ages to find the opportunity to check it out - I do my verifying as part of my routine driving around the country in my Whitevanman trade - if that sends me to London every day for a week, there'll be no chance of me checking submissions around Southampton, Swansea or Plymouth.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi littlesthobo,

Each verifier does their area differently. As DennisN has already said, where it's safe to do so, he verifiers when he's routine driving around the country.

Bo Peep and I generally stay within Oxfordshire although we have in the past verified within the rough M4, A420, and M40 triangle. This is when we drive specifically to one or more sites that need verifying. When we’re outside our normal territory we will verify a site if it’s on our route.

It might help if you could state the area, or even the exact location of the sites and if a verify is in the vicinity then you might get it verified sooner. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies - I wasn't pestering but just interested to know how long it takes. If it takes a while then I'll sit back and wait.

I'm guessing MaFt would be the closest verifier as he's based in Bradford and these were in Morley, Leeds.

If there's a back log I can't expect to jump any queues so thanks for the replies and keep up the good work.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information in case you don't know. The verifiers are unpaid volunteers, not even expenses. I'm a verifier because ...

1. I pestered pgpsw long and hard to get some trusted members to help speed up the verification process and volunteered my services if they judged me reliable enough.

2. They eventually judged me reliable (and willing) enough!

I am very happy to do my bit in this, because it helps get and keep the database up to date and accurate. I benefit from this probably more than most members, because I drive many thousands of miles a year, to wherever my customers send me (on the Saturday 21st July flood day, I did 902 miles to Scotland and back). Anybody who reports a camera at Rothwell (the one near Morley) where my aunty lives, may be saving my licence next time I pay her a visit. So I'm more than happy to reciprocate wherever I drive.

I don't want paying for it - it's not my proper job and as a volunteer, I'll do my very best, but I don't have to answer to anyone (except my own conscience) when I decide I haven't got time to drive down some back road off my route to check for a camera site. I need this "freedom", because when I'm doing a delivery, I cannot divert on the way there. And on the way back I occasionally have to decide whether I want to see a new Gatso or my wife before I go to bed!! Laughing
Unlike Privateer I never go to an area in order to verify - I've only done that once in all the time I've been doing it, 60 miles round trip to check a location which I'd rejected, but a member swore by it, so I went to look specially.

I don't think MaFt's your guy for Morley though - he does the updating and if he comes home to a backlog of 600 from being away a week, you can guess it generally keeps him out of mischief most of the time!

littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Rothwell very well - I live there. I'll try and let you know if any cameras pop up there! Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up on Sixth Avenue (in 't New City of course).

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:

I'm guessing MaFt would be the closest verifier as he's based in Bradford and these were in Morley, Leeds.

if i get chance i'll have a drive over. we do have a verifier round leeds too though but they've been a bit quiet recently!

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:
I know Rothwell very well - I live there. I'll try and let you know if any cameras pop up there! Wink

In case of speeding flying saucers?

Oh no, that's with an "S" Rolling Eyes
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if i get chance i'll have a drive over. we do have a verifier round leeds too though but they've been a bit quiet recently!

MaFt

Thanks but don't go out your way - after all this I'll probably end up not being the first!! Embarassed

FYI: All three are along the same bit of road.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
littlesthobo wrote:

Sorry to bother you, Andy, but I couldn't find any of this in that acronym website. Is there a site to explain this one to me, please? Confused Shocked

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
littlesthobo wrote:

Sorry to bother you, Andy, but I couldn't find any of this in that acronym website. Is there a site to explain this one to me, please? Confused Shocked
Have a look here.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Have a look here.

Aaaaagghh! Thanks BGF - I've suddenly slowed down since my birthday. (Wath that thpoken with a lithp? )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: