Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is my new TT520 faulty? won't boot with SD card inserted.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my new TT520 faulty? won't boot with SD card inserted.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guygamps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Is my new TT520 faulty? won't boot with SD card inserted. Reply with quote

I inserted a 2GB SD card to my GO520, and using "Manage Music" section of Tom TOm Home, I loaded about 800MB of songs on to it. I did not use windows explorer (drag and drop to the card) but only used Tomtom home to put music on the card, doing this with the card inserted in to the base of the Go520, and with the unit docked. As I added songs I could see the available memory decreasing incrementally so all seemed well.

When I disconnected the Go520 from the PC (clicked on icon in Tom Tom Home first for disconnect unit and made sure no activity was running), when I removed the unit from its Dock and re-powered the Go520, it would not boot up, a flash screen came on for a few secons then the power went off. I think there was an indicator with a red cross through a Icon representing a memory card, but it didn;t stay on screen for long before the power went off.

Then, I removed the 2GB SD card from base of the TT, and re-powered the unit, everything was fine in terms of boot and normal operation, though of course no music since all my songs are on the card now removed.

Then, with the power still on I inserted SD card, the unit continued to run fine but when I went to the media player section to try and play the music I had transferred, the only songs shown are the ones loaded at factory for demonstration of course these are in internal memory.

So basically the SD card slot is allowing data to be loaded to it when connected to a PC, (either through Windows Explorer or TT Home) but is causing malfunction of the Go520 when the unit is disconnected from the docking cradle and run normally.

Incidentally the 2GB card is known working, I removed it from my Canon camera for this test, and re-formatted in Windows Explorer before commencing the test.

Thanks

Guy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have tried the reset button on the bottom?

If so, it's slightly odd this one...

The machine will try to boot from the SD card first and if it doesn't find the program, it will move onto the Flash memory and boot from that. (This is why, when everything is working fine, after a reset you briefly see a picture of the SD card with a red cross through it before the unit boots up.

So in your situation, it seems like there is something on the card that the machine is trying to boot from and failing.
what I suggest you try is examine the contents of the card with Windows Explorer again.
All your music should be in a folder called "mp3". If there is ANYTHING showing on the card EXCEPT that mp3 folder, remove it.
Now see if it boots ok from t he flash with the card installed.

If not, report back, but it COULD be a fault.
guygamps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I just checked, I inserted the card in my card reader to look directly at it whout the G520 in circuit. Apart from a folder called MP3, it is empty. The card is named however CANON_DC, this is probably because I only did a quick format on it after it came out of my camera. I will try a full reformat, and report back.

Also, when in Music Manager I was quite happily browsing my music directory from within TTHOME, adding files to the card, and as mentioned I could see the card memory dropping incrementally, but I could not see anyway in TTHOME of browsing the card contents, e.g. to delete something from the card. I could do that in Windows though.

Guy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moral of story... use Home as little as possible.

Got another SD card you could try?
guygamps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...

I reformatted the 2GB SD card in Windows Explorer, then with it empty, and before putting any music on it inserted it into the G520, same problem though, the G520 wouldn't boot.

Next I tried a different SD card, (a small 256Mbyte kingston one) first I reformatted the card and inserted it (empty) in to the G520, and booted up - this time the G520 booted up, though of course had no music loaded on the card,

Then I used TTHOME to load one album on to it, went through the correct disconnect procedure, and re-powered the G520 with the 256MB card now in it and with some songs on it - but now it does the same as before... it just will not boot until I remove the SD card. Once the card is removed the unit boots fine.

So not getting far I am afraid.

Guy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this offers much in way of help. but I tried eight or nine cards before I found one that would work, the card needs to be of a certain standard in terms of read speed to work, if it isn't fast enough the device appears to reject it when the device boots up - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guygamps wrote:

Next I tried a different SD card, (a small 256Mbyte kingston one) first I reformatted the card and inserted it (empty) in to the G520, and booted up - this time the G520 booted up, though of course had no music loaded on the card,

So you can get the unit to boot up normally (from flash) with a card in the slot... Good.

Quote:
Then I used TTHOME to load one album on to it, {snip} now it does the same as before... it just will not boot until I remove the SD card.

As I said, don't use Home.

Get back to the stage you were at above, with an empty card that allows the machine to boot up OK.
Then using Windows Explorer (NOT Home) make a folder called "mp3" (lower case). Add a single mp3 file.

Now try it..
guygamps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, with the small Kingston card used as per your advice, it still didn't work.

Now I have tried a 1GB mini SD card I bought in India, with a mini SD to SD adaptor, and BINGO it works. Very Happy

So third card, third time lucky.

Now I have "proven" it, I would like to treat the G520 to a 4 or 8GB card, but having gone through this experience I would want a recommendation, remember one of the ones that didn't work is Kingston, yet an unbranded one I bought in India has worked, so a good brand name is not necessarily the answer...

recommendations please.

Guy

P.S. does it not play WMAs as well? only mp3s?
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guygamps wrote:
OK, with the small Kingston card used as per your advice, it still didn't work.

Now I have tried a 1GB mini SD card I bought in India, with a mini SD to SD adaptor, and BINGO it works. Very Happy

So third card, third time lucky.

Now I have "proven" it, I would like to treat the G520 to a 4 or 8GB card, but having gone through this experience I would want a recommendation, remember one of the ones that didn't work is Kingston, yet an unbranded one I bought in India has worked, so a good brand name is not necessarily the answer...

recommendations please.

Guy

P.S. does it not play WMAs as well? only mp3s?

See my sig I'm using a Kingston 2GB bought from local Tesco.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go over 4GB card size as no one has reported back saying they work fully that I have seen, so far the only reports involving 8GB cards have been negative in terms of getting the device to read the card - Mike
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got get similar problems as you Guygamps. An unbranded not working, a mini sandisk in an adaptor that dont work. But i managed to get a kingston card to work.

This is card that was 2gb but after formatting only reads 1gb. Does anyone know how to fix that one!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyman69 wrote:
I too got get similar problems as you Guygamps. An unbranded not working, a mini sandisk in an adaptor that dont work. But i managed to get a kingston card to work.

This is card that was 2gb but after formatting only reads 1gb. Does anyone know how to fix that one!
Where did you format it?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formatted using windows and a card reader. However i have found a solution . To bring back to 2gb. Inserted into read unit and ran a program called
"Skymedi Fix 2GB capacity" dont know how i found it. Tried to download and install a panasonic app sdformatter but wouldn't install for me

Tomtom sees it great when connected to pc and transfer the mp3's across no problem. Reads a full 2gb now. Still formats to 1gb when i use xp to format it.
Read on some forums that dont format cards just delete all the info off instead.

My tomtom boots up now with card in. I didn't realize that when you insert card after tomtom has already booted that it would read the mp3's but it does. Also when i remove card whilst booted up it displays the msg "car symbol changed"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 GB mini SD in an adapter (bought in error for daughter's mobile phone) is working fine in my 720.
guygamps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Got MP3 working off SD card, went for a drive... and....... Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help, as mentioned I got an unbranded 1GB mini SD to work in an adaptor, and filled it with mp3s.

Off I went for the weekend, took the kids to the Shoreham Airshow.

A couple of observations:

With the G520 outputting to FM, and my car hi-fi tuned to it, sound quality was reasonable, not great but better than one of this really cheap FM transmiters plugged in to my Sandisk Sansa MP3 player, however, when the SATNAV voice commands cut in, they are FAR too loud relative to the music playback. Adjusting the volume in any page only seems to adjust the global volume. Is it possible to adjust volume of music relative to other audio related output (Satnav instructions, warnings etc).

When making phone calls, it does not seem possible to use FM transmitter output, only on board speaker works for hands free operation (partnered perfectly with my iMATE KJAM.

Since I was driving a route I knew well I decided to "disable voice" leaving the screen based instructions and audible speed camera warnings (Tom Toms own ones for now) running, along with music, however, Disable Voice does nothing, the voice keeps working regardless. Is that a bug? I didn't want to "clear route" because even when I know the way, I like seeing the ETA, and other status bar info.

Guy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: