Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin announce the Nuvi 700 series of SatNavs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announce the Nuvi 700 series of SatNavs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Garmin announce the Nuvi 700 series of SatNavs Reply with quote

Yesterday in Berlin Garmin announced its latest range of SatNav systems in the Nuvi range. The nuvi 700s.

These come in a variety of configurations with different mapping and bluetooth handsfree options. All of the SatNavs feature audio output via a low powered FM transmitter enabling them to be connected to your car radio. They all have integrated lifetime free traffic alerts assumably using FM RDS-TMC.

All nuvis come with Speed Camera alerts "Garmin uses the patented Cyclops technology to provide highly accurate safety camera alerts for all its sat-nav systems. It is believed to be the most up-to-date and reliable information available for both fixed and mobile cameras." Good thing they said believed to be... We might feel justified in disputing that claim Very Happy.

The other new and exciting feature is the inclusion of a tracklog. This can then be viewed using tools such as Google Earth.

The Nuvi 700 range will be available in October and will be priced from £280 to £450.

Official Garmin press release wrote:
Garmin launches new simple yet sophisticated sat-nav

Garmin has today announced the new nüvi 700 series satellite navigation system. With the 700 series Garmin has elegantly combined advanced technology with enhancements to its user interface to ensure an intuitive and easy navigation experience. This is combined with elegant design and an integrated antenna to make it exceptionally compact and stylish. It also comes with traffic warnings to tell you of any congestion ahead and safety camera alerts for mobile as well as fixed cameras.*

“The Garmin nüvi 700 series allows users to truly enjoy the navigation experience” says EMEA Product Director, Clive Taylor. “We have used the latest technologies such as traffic avoidance to improve your journey – without making it complex. The clear, simple menu is easy to follow, and help features even advise you how to get the most out of your sat-nav if you need extra guidance. We are constantly striving to improve our customers’ experience and the Garmin nüvi 700 series ensures you arrive on time, and relaxed at your destination.”

It may be exceptionally simple-to-use but the advanced and innovative features mean the nüvi 700 series is ideal for all users from holidaymakers to businessmen/women; sales staff to delivery companies.

Each nüvi in the 700 series has traffic alerts, with a free lifetime subscription to traffic services. This enables drivers to avoid congestion and find alternative routes via the sat-nav. Garmin uses the patented Cyclops technology to provide highly accurate safety camera alerts for all its sat-nav systems. It is believed to be the most up-to-date and reliable information available for both fixed and mobile cameras. Advanced trip planning capabilities let users input up to 200 destinations in one route – a great time and fuel saver for salespeople and delivery fleets. It also has a 10,000 point track-log which acts like an electronic breadcrumb trail, remembering exactly where you’ve been. This has many advantages including the ability to view your route afterwards in applications such as Google Earth.

All the Garmin nüvi 700s have a built-in FM transmitter, allowing users to wirelessly transmit directions, telephone calls (selected models) or MP3s through their vehicle’s stereo. Bluetooth® wireless technology is available on the Garmin nüvi 710, 760 and 770 for hands-free calling when paired with compatible phones. Users can find and dial numbers stored in their phone or numbers from the nüvi’s points of interest database (hotels, restaurants, shops and more). This enables phone calls to be made easily and safely while on the move. Text-to-speech is also included on the nüvi 750, 760 and 770 where the actual names of roads are read out loud so there is no confusion over which turn you should take even if there are many roads close by. There is even a built-in picture viewer so you can store and look at all your favourite photos.

Like other widescreen Garmin nüvis, the 700 series boasts a bright, sunlight-readable 4.3-inch colour touchscreen display (480x272 pixels). The design incorporates a high-sensitivity internal GPS antenna that makes it thinner and even easier to mount in a car as well as carry around.

Another new feature which makes the Garmin nüvi 700 series even easier to use is the choice of keyboard style. When typing in a destination users can choose between a Qwerty keyboard or an alphabetical one. This means everyone can use the format they prefer – and speed up their search.

The Garmin nüvi 700 variations are as follows:
The nüvi 710 has regional mapping (UK and Ireland or other region) with Bluetooth
The nüvi 750 has UK and European mapping
The nüvi 760 has UK and European mapping with Bluetooth
The nüvi 770 has mapping for the UK, Europe and the United States with Bluetooth
All have safety camera and traffic alerts as well as an FM transmitter

The nüvi 710, 750, 760 and nüvi 770 are expected to be available in October 2007 at an MSRP of £279.99/€399, €449, £369.99/€499 and £449.99/€599 including VAT respectively. (The nüvi 750 is not available in the UK) For more information visit www.garmin.co.uk

*Available in selected European Countries

crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehem... Smile
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Nuvi 700 Reply with quote

looking at the specs today I see that the number of routes that can be stored has been reduced to 0. Is this an error or have they discovered you cannot store routes. For me this would be a main selling point.

Anyone else have a view?
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 700 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
looking at the specs today I see that the number of routes that can be stored has been reduced to 0. Is this an error or have they discovered you cannot store routes. For me this would be a main selling point.

Anyone else have a view?

Still shows 10 here.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10625
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10624
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10623

If they knock it down to zero that would be a moronic move. I'd not get one. Even 10 is unnecessarily restrictive for no purpose.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Nuvi 700 Reply with quote

My apologies - I was looking at the UK site and the 6XX series by mistake!
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 700 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
My apologies - I was looking at the UK site and the 6XX series by mistake!

No problem but you had me worried for a moment. Smile I've told my wife that I want that to be my only xmas present.
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope it has beter mapping than tomtoms 720 this is so out of date!
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gray52 wrote:
i hope it has beter mapping than tomtoms 720 this is so out of date!

Don't know what region you are in. In North America the 7xx will come with City Navigator 2008 NT. It's the same map data that I just updated my iQue with.

At least where I have driven, the map data is about as current as one could expect. It added a few new roads that I know of over the last few years anyway. All the new road construction in downtown Boston appears to be reflected in the new maps.

At least where I have driven, the maps appear to be very accurate.
mg46783
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: TT 720 Reply with quote

Does it matter that TT720 mapping is out of date with the fact that you can update & correct them yoursefl with this model?? or am I wrong.

I really would like to know - from a genuine unbiased person/point of view... which is the best model - the Nuvi or the TT ??

Anybody got any views? Im genuinly interested.

Mike
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: TT 720 Reply with quote

mg46783 wrote:
Does it matter that TT720 mapping is out of date with the fact that you can update & correct them yoursefl with this model?? or am I wrong.

I really would like to know - from a genuine unbiased person/point of view... which is the best model - the Nuvi or the TT ??

Anybody got any views? Im genuinly interested.

Mike

I think that it matters when you don't know the roads that you'll be driving on.

In my wife's opinion, she does a lot of research into Garmin, Navtec, Tomtom and Telatlas for our investments, Garmin has superior hardware. Nactec probably has better north american maps and telatlas probably has better Euroepan maps. That's her opinion. I've never owned any tomtom.

Of course Garmin uses Navtec maps and Tomtom uses telatlas.
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whos going to get the new 7XX range then, and which one are you going for. I'm very tempted at the Nuvi 750. I have the Nuvi 200W at pressent.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting the 750. I have no need for the extras that that 760 and 770 offer. I really have no need for the FM transmitter or the Mp3 player. The only reason I'm getting the 7xx series is for the multiple waypoints in a route and the save route capability. Otherwise a lower end Nuvi would have been fine.
mg46783
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyfingers........

Hi, I appreciate your comments - thank you. Im still undecided. I have to like the look of any gadget I buy - and the TT units... especially the latest ones do, to me, have the edge. That said, the Garmin 6 - 7 series are not exactly ugly. So I will consider them.
I am also looking for a trade supplier of these units if any one knows of any decent/honest ones!!??
For personal use, Im edging toward the Nuvi but I remain to be convinced.... Im willing to listen and be directed by anyone ;)
Rgds, mike
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyfingers

Where do you plan to purchase the New Nuvi. Do you know of any good places to get one?
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn180 wrote:
crazyfingers

Where do you plan to purchase the New Nuvi. Do you know of any good places to get one?

My wife will get it for me for Xmas. I'm sure that she'll get it on-line at the best price she can find.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: