Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Great TMC Shame about the SatNav!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Great TMC Shame about the SatNav!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Great TMC Shame about the SatNav!!! Reply with quote

Like many on here I struggled for ages with TMC on Garmins and TomToms, making mods to antennas and still getting little or no joy

So what a suprise,

I have sold my 910 and not bothered with a new unit yet, I was using a Glofiish PDA unit with TT but found it cumbersome so sold that,

Anyway in Costco last week they were doing the VIAMICHALIN X970T for £150, and with the returns policy at costco being so generous (Return item at any time you are still a member for no quibble money back), figured I would give it a go,

Anyway, it has a monster mount bit of overkill really and a black 4" * 1" Sucker TMC antenna that attachs to the windscreen,

Where I live (Nr M1 Jnc 28) Repecption on the garmin and TT was a lotterty sometimes getting 100.1 if heading south sometimes 101.1 if heading north but nver holding the signal

Installed the X970t stuck the antenna on the windscreen and instant reception on 100.1 100.5 and 101.1 !!!! Rather amazed, dove it to London and back and it worked all the way Amazing.

Went to Ireland yesterday, No Reception from Dublin to the NI Border, but once in NI perfect reception again even out into the Western Sticks!!

So is this the perfect SatNav for TMC use, well the BIG problem is the Satnav, boy does this thing SUCK, Screen is small, Informastion is badly laid out, Maps are old, if it cant find a road it just freezes position till it gets back on a known road, so like stepping back 5 or more years on the Satnav Front. But the TMC is ruddy great!!

Please Garmin or TomTom Licence the Kit that VM is using in X970t and lets get a decent system running

Rant Over!!!
kentnicklloyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Great TMC Shame about the SatNav!!! Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
Anyway in Costco last week they were doing the VIAMICHALIN X970T for £150, and with the returns policy at costco being so generous (Return item at any time you are still a member for no quibble money back), figured I would give it a go,

Anyway, it has a monster mount bit of overkill really and a black 4" * 1" Sucker TMC antenna that attachs to the windscreen,

Hi Vicky, I've found an antenna that works great with my MIO c510e but to begin with it was not that good, it's all to do with postioning I think, still not a fantastic reception on Thanet but better than the "String" that came with the unit, I think the TMC recepton is mainly down the the antenna.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Great TMC Shame about the SatNav!!! Reply with quote

kentnicklloyd wrote:
[
I've found an antenna that works great with my MIO c510e but to begin with it was not that good, it's all to do with postioning I think, still not a fantastic reception on Thanet but better than the "String" that came with the unit, I think the TMC recepton is mainly down the the antenna.

Hi "KentNickLloyd"
Maybe I missed it in another thread but can you advise what the antenna is? I have a Mio C520T and since I changed cars last weekend I haven't been able to get a TMC signal with my originally supplied 'string'. OK I have moved from an SUV to a low slung Coupe and I am still experimenting with positioning of the cable but if there is a better antenna which can be plugged into the cradle I would like know please
Thanks
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing some more road testing with the ViaM TMC, It really does hold a signal all over the UK, It seems to be working better than even the built in system in my car (Alfa).

Now I decided to have a look inside the antenna box to see if there was some fancy Amplifier also why it did not matter wich way round or the angle the unit is at the signal is always rock solid.

Suprise suprise, just a PCB with a dancy antenna pattern meaning it can be placed at any angle, no preamp just the PCB. So the TMC reciever in the ViaM must be much more sensitive that the TomTom or Garmin units and also seems to reject noice interference and false signals a lot better

Pictures

philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amplifier may well be at the other end of the cable - ie in the viaM unit - this would make manufacturing sense as aerials would be cheaper to manufacture and hence cheaper to supply as replacements. Also no need for feeding power up the cable.

But it looks as if you have a neat system there.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

I have an X980T and would like to know what connector is on the new type antenna at the unit end.

Is it a 3.5mm jack plug type?

I haven't found this sold as a seperate item yet, unless someone knows different. I'm in discussions with VM over another issue at the moment, I'll ask the question to them as well and see what I get.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Hi Vicky,

I have an X980T and would like to know what connector is on the new type antenna at the unit end.

Is it a 3.5mm jack plug type?

IIRC it's the type of connector used on cellphone and ext GPS antennas, I think it's called FME?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren

My string aerial plugs into the earphone / headphone socket on the X980T, I don't suppose I can get an adaptor?

I've tried one of those Maplin mag mount ones and I'm not getting any improvement. Maybe its because the string is literally a core covered in plastic.

Update ViaMichelin say the new antenna won't fit mine because it plugs into the cradle not the unit. Wouldn't mind a go though.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not very clear photos but here is a picture of where it joins the mount and the connector.

There is no connector on the back of the satnav for the antenna only the one on the mount

st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's huge, is there much windscreen left to see out of after you set it up?
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge! Tell me about it,

After being used to modest Garmin and TT Mounts I almost fell out my seat when I took it out the box.

BUT it works it does not lose connection or fall off the screen lik the TT Mount, so it has its good points, just that its a bit of overkill (I did think about using it at home to mount a 32" LCD TV Laughing )
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos Vicky.

The mount looks almost identical to the X980T mount, but I've only got 2 connections / sockets, one for power and one for audio input I think. There is a clip out cover marked optional underneath where your antenna plugs in, underneath is a 20 pin connector but I haven't got a clue what it's for.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some better pics of the connectors on the 970 and the mount

There is NO TMC Connector on the 970 at all only on the mount

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, great images but could I ask you to reduce the sizes in future? We request that linked images are no bigger than 400 pixels in width to keep things tidy and reduce page load times etc.

I've changed the ones you've done to date Smile
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren

just noticed they were large and was in the middle of resizing that latest ones when you posted,

will check them before uploading in future.

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: