Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GB Map Errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GB Map Errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I'm not in the habit of standing up for TeleAtlas etc, but in this case I think they can't win!
Brian says "has only just open and is not on the map surprise surprise".

If they HAD put this new road on the maps months before it opened, there would have been loads of people complaining about non-existant roads, and being led onto a building site.

Save the brickbats for roads that have been open for years and still aren't right!

Hi Andy_P2002
As you say they can't put proposed or unfinished roads on their maps but consider this
The TT One Western Europe Edition with Navteq Maps was released around September last year. Owing to the time it takes to get maps through the system to the finished article, they must have been mapped around the beginning of 2006 - This map shows a new bypass to my village in Kent heading out to the Isle of Grain
Now assuming the same timescale
New Teleatlas map released April 2007
Must have been mapped around August 2006
Bypass still not showing.
If I bought a new map from the shop I would expect a road that is 2 years old to be shown

theripper
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree! (See my first and last sentences)
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Forgot to mention that I informed Teleatlas as soon as the road was opened so they must have totally ignored me :x
theripper
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
....around August 2006
If I bought a new map from the shop I would expect a road that is 2 years old to be shown...

Its best not to get worked up about these omissions. I'm very happy my Tomtom works very well most of the time in the UK, and in France where there are rural roads that have been there since at least 1937 but never appear on a Navteq map but do on TeleAtlas.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
theripper wrote:
....around August 2006
If I bought a new map from the shop I would expect a road that is 2 years old to be shown...

Its best not to get worked up about these omissions. I'm very happy my Tomtom works very well most of the time in the UK, and in France where there are rural roads that have been there since at least 1937 but never appear on a Navteq map but do on TeleAtlas.

I've had the same experience in the U.S. with Tele Atlas. My XL has been nothing but accurate, so I've nothing to complain about, as far as TA's maps go.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
theripper wrote:
....around August 2006

If it was a small backroad I wouldn't worry about it but this is a major A road that is the only road to the Isle of Grain and more importantly Thamesport container depot.
theripper
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
If it was a small backroad I wouldn't worry about it but this is a major A road ...

In that case I'd aggree it is something to get cross about.
A228? Out of interest is it shown correctly on Google maps?
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
No it is wrong on google maps as well
theripper
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on where you live. Mainland Europe seems to get mapped more frequently than our little island.

Last year I navigated through France. My then new 2006 Michelin road atlas (a French company) showed a proposed motorway, this being the A28 from the south west of Rouen, down to Le Mans. My Tom tom One, with the France-Plus map installed (purchased April 2006) had this new road on it already and I successfully used it.

My Autoroute 2005 on my PC didn't have this road on it and this used to be my bible for planning itineries, before converting them to Tom Tom format. I now use a combination of Autoroute and Tom Tom to plan routes and will until I can justify the £80 cost of the new Autoroute programme.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
ccam108
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the latest news on map upgrades? I purchased a TomTom in march, but have only just started using it. The TomTom Home software tells me that there are no map updates available, but I have found a bridge in Glasgow omitted (opened a year ago), a roundabout incorrect in my area and a whole housing development missing, over 12 years old!

_C
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccam108 wrote:
What's the latest news on map upgrades? I purchased a TomTom in march, but have only just started using it. The TomTom Home software tells me that there are no map updates available, but I have found a bridge in Glasgow omitted (opened a year ago), a roundabout incorrect in my area and a whole housing development missing, over 12 years old!

_C

Welcome to the Forum....

As with all map upgrades, they are always out of date, due to the time it takes to accurately measure roads all over the world. By the time they have enough data collected to make updates worthwhile, there have already been new roads opened, new roundabouts installed etc, so even the most up to date map will not be accurate.

If you look at your device and post the map version here, together with what Tom Tom device you have, one of the PGPSW staff will be able to tell you if that is the most up to date.

As for the housing estate being missing yet 12 years old, perhaps you can notify teleatlas or navteq, depending on what device you have. They will add it to their things to do list. I can't promise it will be changed on the next update however.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm a bit new to all of this as well and can understand that new housing developements and new rounsabouts etc not being on the map for a while at least but from what I've read I taking its more like 2 years or more that had stunned me to be honest. In Scotland a new stretch of long awaited road had just opened linking to the forth road bridge which for us is like the M25 just being finished and not shown on TomTom maps does that mean it could be 2 years before even this is updated.

I too have noticed a few errors wrongly named streets and wrong turning annouced at a particular roundabout, and know of several new roundabouts not on the maps.

You would have thought with all this digital technoledgy and connectivity we could get the very latest upto date maps within a few weeks after any changes.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
In Scotland a new stretch of long awaited road had just opened linking to the forth road bridge which for us is like the M25 just being finished and not shown on TomTom maps does that mean it could be 2 years before even this is updated.
From where?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
In Scotland a new stretch of long awaited road had just opened linking to the forth road bridge which for us is like the M25 just being finished and not shown on TomTom maps does that mean it could be 2 years before even this is updated.
From where?

The new bit of road opened is the new A8000 road from Newbridge roundabout to the Forth Road Bridge which extends the dual carriageway and links onto the A90 doing away with the old single carriageway which it a bottleneck and full of potholes. Its only a small piece of road but the reference to the M25 is show how important this new piece of road is to those who regulary travel across the Forth Road Bridge.
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
BGF wrote:
Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
From where?

The new bit of road opened is the new A8000 road from Newbridge roundabout to the Forth Road Bridge which extends the dual carriageway and links onto the A90 doing away with the old single carriageway which it a bottleneck and full of potholes. Its only a small piece of road but the reference to the M25 is show how important this new piece of road is to those who regulary travel across the Forth Road Bridge.

"Ray-of-Sunshine" what model TomTom do you have, as the new road layout for the A8000 is on my maps GO 720, map Western_Europe v705.1480, but not on my One V3 map version Uk & Ireland v675.1409.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: