Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loquendo folder should be nearer 4GB in size so it looks like your back ups are of little use, neither is the folder on the device. The only advice I can offer is to contact TomTom directly (0845 161 0009) and see if they can arrange for missing data to be made available via download or repair the device.

When you get the voices working again please use Windows Explorer to make a full back up to your PC, if you are not too sure how this is done have a look at #1 on the FAQ Page.

As for spelling, its not too easy double checking a post when using a mobile phone Wink - Mike
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an incident at work where a guy had put on POIs from a Garmin Unit onto his TomTom and basically screwed thing up. He wanted a refund for what had become a defunct device. Instead, we reset it to its original state and put on the POIs correctly.

As the thread shows, even the experienced can have problems, but at the end of the day, we try to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

At www.cpc.co.uk, we may not NOW be the cheapest place to buy GPS related units, but we still try to ensure our customers are happy. And in many cases are governed by the 7day Distance Selling Rules.

Common sense really. An unsatisfied customer will walk. A satisfied customer will refer.

(A happy user of TomTom products with the exception of the RDS-TMC Receiver)

On the TTS front, the 720 is advertised as being ready for use. One buys the unit, put it in the car and goes. During initial configuration, I was asked which language I wanted to install. I selected English and voice Kate. Now comes the rub. You get home and you install HOME. You do the complete backup. I backed up everything. Not good enough. I decided I did not want to be told directions by Kate, I wanted to hear Simon instead. So where is he? Not on the supplied disk - far too small to have the computer voices and where are the other language files?

I do have a work around, but only because I have all the computer voices, but if I was Joe Punter, what could I do? There is not really much possible. Would I do a full reset and hope I got Simon on the second installation?

I travel a lot in europe and having the different language voices is of a help to me, as I am not always driving myself and sometimes my client is not sure of the exact route somewhere.

At the beginning of this thread, I thought to the opening few statements "poor dude" but as we get further into things, it seems clear that all is not clear. If we have to rest to original setup, then anything already saved is likely to be lost.

Does anyone have any ideas. BTW, I do not have any problems myself - apart from writing too much!!!
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmbaker wrote:
I decided I did not want to be told directions by Kate, I wanted to hear Simon instead. So where is he? Not on the supplied disk - far too small to have the computer voices and where are the other language files?

Well, the CD that came with my 720 has SIXTEEN text to speech voices (including Simon) on it. Each .cab file is around 30-40 MB (much smaller than those supplied with the Go910).
Home v1.6 shows all of these if you go to "Install to TomTom" on the left and select "TomTom CD" in the middle pane.

Incidentally, you're not the person from CPC who sent me a (very large) outdoor TV aerial when I'd ordered two boxes of batteries last week, are you? Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TTS files/ folders on the supplied disk for the 720 are considerably smaller than those employed on the 910 device, Simon can be found on the disk just use Windows Explorer to examine the folder structure on it, locating the voices folder is easy, then copy the one you want to the device, if you have added extra mp3 files and such like you might need to remove Kate first, make sure there is at least 20MB spare on the device memory to allow for upgrades and installation of them, BTW I will be in the shop on Friday if you are about for a coffee - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not actually in the "voices" folder Mike, they are in a separate "TTS" folder.
Also, as they are .cab files, don't they need uncompressing somehow if you use Explorer to install them? That's why I (grudgingly) used Home to put Simon on my m/c.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andy you are correct they are in the TTS folder, I should have checked on the disk, you can open the CAB file using WinRar and extract the files to subsequently copy to the TomTom device using Windows Explorer, its up to you but TomTom Home is only ever used to grab updates, I prefer to handle all the installations myself - Mike
andycabs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The Loquendo folder should be nearer 4GB in size so it looks like your back ups are of little use, neither is the folder on the device. The only advice I can offer is to contact TomTom directly (0845 161 0009) and see if they can arrange for missing data to be made available via download or repair the device.

When you get the voices working again please use Windows Explorer to make a full back up to your PC, if you are not too sure how this is done have a look at #1 on the FAQ Page.

As for spelling, its not too easy double checking a post when using a mobile phone Wink - Mike

Thanks for advice Mike. BTW, Spelling crack was intended for others egregious potboiler advice, but well intentioned I hope.

No reply after 7 days from Tom Tom, ...and phone was not that helpful when I finally got through either.

Good news though! I copied the Loquendo files from a friends 910 and all TTS is now working.

Bad news is that after frigging about with files; the speed cameras downloaded from Tom Tom subscription; they show on the mapping and give warning beep, but I cannot find in POI edit to change warning parameters. There are about 87 POI folders, so its below the 100 limit I believe exists. (Downloaded Pocket GPS cameras however are all shown and editable)

Any ideas on this?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot change the parameters associated with the TomTom supplied speed camera database, if you have the one from this site I would copy the entire 910's drive to the PC using Windows Explorer then delete the TomTom speed camera files (you don't need them on the device).

My previous post in this thread included a link to the FAQ page, I would take another look at that but this time look at #1 for the back up and #13 for camera removal, glad to hear you got it all working though - Mike
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TT Home to do my initial back-up.
Using explorer, I see that the Loquendo directory is missing so I am now using explorer to copy the loquendo directory into my TT backup.
Is this OK or will this corrupt the Day 1 backup?
Are there any other files that TT home missed I should copy over too?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do a complete Full Backup into another Folder. Give the Folder a name with a Date for easy recognition.

That way you will make sure. It does take a little while, but the peace of mind makes it worthwhile. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Bampah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I would do a complete Full Backup into another Folder. Give the Folder a name with a Date for easy recognition.

That way you will make sure. It does take a little while, but the peace of mind makes it worthwhile. Smile

Problem is, I have altered things quite a bit since day 1 e.g. removed Euro camera files and would really like as close a back-up of day 1 as I can get.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly Copy the Folders separately and it will probably do no harm. If there is an existing File, the PC will ask if you want to Overwrite it.

You then have a choice. Do I, don't I. Wink

Even if you do follow that path, I would do another Full Backup of your Current Setup.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
TomDavison wrote:
Quote:
Isn't this another case of Tom Tom trying to be too clever with the backup. I'm convinced that a full copy using windows explorer is the only safe way to back up the entire disc. (Having first displayed hidden/read only files of course)

I hear what you are saying but Home is meant to be "easy to use" and for a lot of people, they would not know where to start using windows explorer & trying to hide files etc on there computers. I can see why Home asks the question because it is a very big backup & again some peole will not have enough room on there hard drives to make this backup.

I thought the 910 had a 20Gb hard drive. Why couldn't Tomtom have just created an image of the full installation including all the voice files on there for restore purposes? Sure, you'd lose some capacity for MP3s etc but would make their support calls easier. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: