Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - External Antenna for Navman TMC Module?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

External Antenna for Navman TMC Module?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure the TMC marker was red?

Absolutely! Red, it was.

Quote:
- I thought red means there is an incident on route and therefore it must have been receiving, it should be a Blue/ Grey colour when not receiving anything at all

Mmmm! Don't know. I do know that when I am not receiving, it is that indeterminate colour of Blue/Grey but I have never known the fine difference between that and red.

Quote:
It would appear to have remembered some of the European stations by the looks of what you saw - Mike

On reflection, I think you are right as the signatures of the stations correspond to some French radio stations.

Anyway, I have reconnected my Magmount today and am now getting a reasonable signal from Classic. Off up north on Thursday, and will see how we get on, on that journey Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Looking to purchase a Maplins, Sky Scan Qt 33 L, has this unit a mag mount, as there is no info on it but the image looks like it has.
Regards,
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi
Looking to purchase a Maplins, Sky Scan Qt 33 L, has this unit a mag mount, as there is no info on it but the image looks like it has.
Regards,
DRP

The specs say :-
Quote:
Sky Scan Mobile Scanner Antenna
Specifications:
Frequency range: 25-2000MHz RX
95mm magnetic mount
64cm length
4 metres co-ax cable terminated with a BNC plug
Graham
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP, Either use my e-mail button below or the PM system, if you let me know name/ address I will send you an addaptor cable that goes from the BNC socket to the MCX connection type as employed on the T1 receiver, I have a few spare:

These will go on a "first come first served basis" - Mike
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
I will certainly take up your offer.
It’s not April the 1st is it. Someone like you is one in a million. And I respect you for the offer.
The rat race out there is take, take, and more take.
Anyone that has followed this offer should take a step back and think of this person’s generosity, to a bunch of no bodies, like our selves that have one common interest GPS.
Either pay the man for his troubles or donate something to a charity of his choice.
Regards,
DRP

DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee
Thanks for that, I must remember to put my glasses on when on the PC. Laughing Out Loud
DRP

DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Took the N60i & T1 with string aerial out yesterday, to see if it would work on normal routes around my area. We headed for Hay on Wye via Hereford (Maplins). I thought I would get nothing as the only success I have had is to sit up in the Brecon Beacons, with a clear view of Cardiff which gave me green with 1 bar. Between home and Hereford, 1 to 2 bars, had this for the duration of the trip. It did go red at one point. I assume that this is a lost acquired signal if I have read the manual correctly. No icons appeared on the map?
After talking to Mike Alder (Moderator) I decided to purchase the Sky Scan QT33L. It’s a bit of an odd ball aerial, in that it has 4 masts, and the tallest is about 2 feet. (The wife’s not to impressed). I am waiting for the post to deliver Mike’s adaptor, then I will give it a good test, the Loire in France should be a good one, that’s in a week or so.
Regards,
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi all I assume that this is a lost acquired signal if I have read the manual correctly.
DRP

That's what I understand, too Wink GP
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee.
This is taken from the Navman on line manual; there are 2 references to the status indicators, if reading correctly, both references are condensed to the below statement.

“Green- Your Navaman is receiving traffic events. Non expired events appear in the events list.
Orange- Your Navman is not receiving traffic events. Non expired events appear in the events list. Or T1 not connected or receiving traffic events, i.e. coverage area.

Grey- Your Navman is not receiving current traffic events. The events list is empty. Or T1 not connected to power or not receiving coverage.”

Hope this helps
DRP

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DRP, I also have the Manual printed from the pdf file on the disc that came with the T1.
Unfortunately, I had never read it Embarassed until your queries came up and I was just reading it this am just before I saw your post. Thanks. Wink

I'm sure it will help some of the Forum members.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, have been following this thread with interest. I have just changed my car and gone from a large SUV to a much smaller coupe. Previously the TMC module on my Mio C520T didn't work too badly and I got a signal in most areas I drove around. However since I have transferred it across to my new car the signal is almost non-existant. I know it does work because I had data flowing in yesterday around Birmingham but when I drove up the M4 towards London this morning there was absolutely nothing (where previously I used to receive signal without problems).
The new car windscreen is not heated, reflective or anything else.
So my question is, bearing in mind this is a brand new car in which I don't want to drill any holes, mount any external aerials etc; is anybody aware of a better internal aerial which might 'boost' my signal back to previous levels.
............or as has been suggested elsewhere would a more 'powerful' power lead help boost the signal, I have seen it suggested that some of the cables used to boost/charge iPods etc can provide enough extra boost to enable the aerials to receive better quality signals?
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Mike Alder’s adapter arrived this morning, so as I had a 10hr shift ahead of me I thought it a good idea to give it a test. Did not get any signal, until in the same spot as with the Navman aerial up in the Beacons. 3 or 4 bar signal strength, and more than one radio station, Classic FM, Real Radio, GWR Bristol. Had a green indicator, all day after the initial start. Lots of icons on the map, 47 incidents at one point.
What is puzzling me is why Navman did not put a half decent antenna in the T1 package. Ok I have this odd looking 4 mast unit on the roof, but what a difference it’s made. It’s transformed an OK product into something that is a very useful tool to the likes of myself that occupies the driving seat for most of my working day.
As for a bigger test France in a few weeks, so I will tell you all, how it performs.
Regards,
DRP
PS. Mike I will put a tab over the bat at the next forum meet I attend.

DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Perussell
When I fitted a car din standard DVD, CD Radio unit into my Caravan I fitted a Halfords FM windscreen ‘T’ bar aerial to it as I did not want to drill any holes. It works well. Only problems I can see you encountering are the aerial lead and a 12v supply for the amplifier.
Regards,
DRP

johncarnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://cartft.com/catalog/il/671
andymacro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: T1 module requires radio on Classic FM ? Reply with quote

E-mailed Navman support to complain about poor reception with their supplied aerial. I have tried all the suggested windscreen positions and the best I could get was reception for a few miles at various points during a journey along the M25 from St Albans to Enfield.

Navman Support reply

1) Ensure that the you have connected the module correctly to the unit.
2) The in- car charger need to connect to the T1 module and not the 750.
3) Please ensure as well that the aerial is connected to the other side of the T1.
4) Please also ensure that your Radio is Tuned in to Classic FM. Confused

4 ? anyone else seen this advice. As much as I may ocassionaly enjoy Classic FM I ain 't going to leave it on permenantly in order to obtain good TMC traffic reception. Surely this is a wind up ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: