Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - It's Official: Garmin are Slightly Better than TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Official: Garmin are Slightly Better than TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Out of the worldwide top 5, who gets your vote?
Garmin
42%
 42%  [ 41 ]
TomTom
48%
 48%  [ 47 ]
Mio
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Magellan
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Navman
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 97

JerryHPE8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know how sales split regionally and for different market segments. I have had a Garmin handheld unit for many years to use hiking and on the boat and recently bought a tomtom unit for the car. My impression is that in the UK at least Garmin are market leader for boaters, cyclists and walkers and tomtom #1 for in car use. My garmin unit is useless for navigating roads and the tomtom cannot be used on the boat.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Horses for courses, Garmin have established themselvs as market leaders for Walkers, Boaters etc. I have been useing TomTom products from PDA to TomTom Classic TT300, TT500 and now TT910, I have had use of Mio and Garmin products to trial and from what I have seen its Tom Tom the leaders.
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Garmin vs Tom-Tom Reply with quote

Have had a Garmin C510 for about 16 months now - love it, easy to use, clear instructions, lovely clear touchscreen (even in bright sun), bit chunky for some people, but being an engineer I prefer performance over looks anyway. My brother-in-law has company Tom-Tom and he prefers the Garmin unit. Garmin picks up satelites in my lounge, have never lost signal even around high buildings, love the security pin and unlock zone feature. Garmin service answering my queries has been top-notch. A friend of mine scrambled his Garmin unit with dodgy downloaded maps, and Garmin fixed it up FOC in a week, top service. Garmin is like Apple, Tom-Tom like Microsoft, you decide which one is best.
promar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used TT soft ware (currently TT6) and a basic Garmin Street Pilot . For me the big advantage is that one can use TT software packages on variety of pda's and smart phones whereas Garmin software is restricted their own units. Certainly for those who require GPS for cross country walks etc, Garmin are unmatched.
I am currently trying Nokia's Smart2Go software on my O2 Orbit with encouraging results. This method of doing tackling GPS navigation may be the way ahead because the maps are kept up to date. For me the other advantage is that I can download maps of cities like Budapest and Prague not covered by TT6 Europe and if you don't require voice guidance its free!!
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Garmin and haven't yet tried their after sales service/ customer relations. However I would rate Tomtom's after sales service/customer relations zero out of ten, I found it appalling, especially regarding their RDS-TMC unit that doesn't work, and I think non of them have ever worked in the UK - SPRINGERMAD

I don't know of anyone who doesn't have the highest praise for Garmin customer service and product back-up. You have to feel sorry for Tom-Tom customer service, it gets overloaded with complaints and units that don't work too well.
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have used Garmin, thankfully for only 5 days, whilst awaiting new mount for TT910. Due to great back-up from Tom Tom a replacement arrived after 5 days. Any queries I have had over my Tom Tom have been met with a first class service. Did not like maps on Garmin, slow directions and on screen progress. Flip up antenna,Whats that about. As I do 1500 to 2000 miles a day, I need the best, and Tom Tom IS THE BEST
Vaneo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimy Holdfast

How on earth do you manage to average over 125 mph on UK roads?

Your TMC must be working!!

Go on tell us your secret.

PS How many points do you earn a day on your loyalty card

Razz Razz Razz
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my mistook, should be per week.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me its TomTom not because I think its better than any other but because I use and require the extra PDA facilities, for me it does its job, yes it has its failings and no doubt the others would but Its the PDA That calls the tune for me, incidently even on a trip of 320 miles i have never found the ETA to more than a few minutes out.
Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
Well I have used Garmin, thankfully for only 5 days, whilst awaiting new mount for TT910. Due to great back-up from Tom Tom a replacement arrived after 5 days. Any queries I have had over my Tom Tom have been met with a first class service. Did not like maps on Garmin, slow directions and on screen progress. Flip up antenna,Whats that about. As I do 1500 to 2000 miles a day, I need the best, and Tom Tom IS THE BEST

So how long have you been working for tomtom?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdfast wrote:
As I do 1500 to 2000 miles a day, I need the best, and Tom Tom IS THE BEST

How many miles? Shocked That's GOT to be breaking the speed limit!!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Holdfast wrote:
As I do 1500 to 2000 miles a day, I need the best, and Tom Tom IS THE BEST

How many miles? Shocked That's GOT to be breaking the speed limit!!

Why be confused ?did you not read the rest of the thread??

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: