Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera updating .. Nuvi 250
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera updating .. Nuvi 250

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keenrw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Camera updating .. Nuvi 250 Reply with quote

Hi All

Just brought a Garmin 250 to replace my Advent 400 that got stollen , at first i wasnt impressed as i was used to the other sat nav displaying the POI while driving but the 250 only displays them while browseing the map .
Any way im beginning to like it more , im hopeing to update the camera data base but i havnt got a clue how to do it . i dont wanna delete any other pois etc .. i will be buying a USB cable soon and i have downloaded the POI installer ... is that all i need to do or do i need to down load some drivers for the Nuvi 250 as well ?
Would some one beable to give me a quick run down oh how to do it please ..? .. as easy as pos thanks Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud ... im normaly tech minded but i dont wanna damage the sat nav in any way .

Chears
Rich
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thumbs Up

Regarding the POIs - don't know the 250 (have 310 and 660) but you need to zoom in quite close to get the POIs displayed whilst driving around. I guess this is to reduce clutter on the display, especially in cities.

As for speed cameras..

Download the correct files (GARMIN .csv format).

The one thing that you need to bear in mind is that if you are using other 'user provided' POIs - you need to reload them all each time. This is because POILoader generates the POI file each time, erasing the 'old' one on your GARMIN unit. The in-built POIs supplied with the basic mapping are NOT erased.

So some tips...

When you get your cable:

Connect to PC and it will discover the 250 as one (or two if it has an SD slot) drive(s) on your PC.

Open the nuvi main drive, set your windows explorer to see all files (including hidden files) and do a complete BACKUP COPY of all files to your PC - you really should do this before anything else and each time you are thinking of changing things.

POILoader works by creating a single file from a collection of POI files in a directory on your PC.

Best tip is to create a specific POI directory and place the speed cameras into this.

You can create sub-directories and place different categories of POIs into these - your GARMIN will display the folder name as a 'category' item when you start to use them on your nuvi. This is recommended if you are planning to load lots of POIs.

With your nuvi connected, start POILoader, point it at the folder you created, select the units you want (feet/mph or meters/km/h) and let it go. It will take a few minutes to complete with a fully speed-zoned collection of files from this site and the Windows may report that it is not responding - just leave it alone. If you want - try a few POI's to check the process out first.

The main thing to remember is that the process will ALWAYS replace ALL user POIs on the nuvi.

After you are happy with this process have a look at something like ASH's Camera Manager (see sticky towards top of this forum) - which makes the process of adding voice warnings to cameras simple.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now a little confused as I suddenly though "Why isn't the 250 supplied with a USB cable?"

Checking the GARMIN web site (US and UK) confirms that they aren't supplied with a USB cable but also (strangely) it's not offered as an option. Confused

The specs say you can add custom POIs -but the manual doesn't tell you how to so all I can say is that the steps above work for nuvi 3xx and 6xx units.

Anyone done this with a 2xx unit and care to comment?

I guess you could always create the user POI file on an SD card and use it from there on the 250.
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Anyone done this with a 2xx unit and care to comment?

My daughters friend bought a Garmin 200 at the weekend. As seen it does not come with a USB cable but I successfully updated the software and added some POIs using the cable from my 660
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that redsquirrel Wink
PowerLee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother got the Nuvi 200 the other week, no usb cable supplied.

My I3 usb cable works with it fine Wink
keenrw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the help .. im gonna get a USB cable and home charger and give it a go .. just hope i dont it up .. i also have downloaded some other POIs so i guess i update the Garmin cams and install the POIs at the same time .
Im getting it like the unit more and more now . was going to take it back but i have stuck with it ... i can understand now why the POIs dont display in NAV mode as theres quite a lot of them ..

Rich
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenrw wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the help .. im gonna get a USB cable and home charger and give it a go .. just hope i dont it up .. i also have downloaded some other POIs so i guess i update the Garmin cams and install the POIs at the same time .
Im getting it like the unit more and more now . was going to take it back but i have stuck with it ... i can understand now why the POIs dont display in NAV mode as theres quite a lot of them ..

Rich

There are three basic ways to update you Nuvi once you have a suitable USB cable

1. Use the web interface via MyGarmin site to install your updates to the Garmin speed camera information whilst your 3 month trial is active (and beyond if you pay)

2. Use the Garmin program WebUpdater to download firmware updates, new language files, vehicle graphics etc

3. Use the Garmin POIloader for all non-Garmin POIs such as PGPSW speed cameras, POI etc. One thing to be aware of is that this tool replaces ALL non-Garmin POIs so you have to reinstall them all everytime - you cannot just add to them
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
keenrw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate

Just like to say thanks to every one that helped .. i have brought a USB lead and its soo easy to do .. the speed cams are updaed from Garmin .. plus i tryied some POIs which again was easy to install .. and i noticed they displayed on the nav screen to when driving but it did slow the map draw down quite a bit thou.. just wondered if it bothers any one else ? .. so far i have unistalled the POIs for now and just kept the Congestion Charge ones and set it to give me a warning 500 foot away .
Thanks again

Rich

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: