Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOLUX GR236- FIRMWARE UPGRADE AVAILABLE FROM HOLUX UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOLUX GR236- FIRMWARE UPGRADE AVAILABLE FROM HOLUX UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Taking out the battery for several days (it also has an internal button cell that has to discharge) will probably reset it completely.

SirfTech is a rather safer program to use than the lethal SirfDemo, and there are various ways to reset the Holux more quickly, for example described on the GpsPasSion forum, I think in this enormous thread .

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
bgcngm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys!

I'm new in the forum. I have an Holux GPSlim 236 and it's very nice. I would like to check which firmware it has installed and if that's the case, upgrade it. But I have a big question: which software do you use to upgrade? I have download the file that is in the first topic, and nothing more. Where can I get the software?

Thanks in advance
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the instruction included in the upgrade files you sould see that sirfdemo and sirfflash are required.
inkhorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As HoluxUK appear to be no more, and Holux technical support never reply to me when it came to getting any help, I want to share this with you all :

Information on how to flash upgrade the Holux GPSlim236 to GSW3.2.2 (Holux firmware V6) over bluetooth, safely.

Information to recover from a bad flash upgrade, all done over bluetooth.

Information that should save you buying the overpriced USB-serial cable from Holux.

http://tinyurl.com/2hb2jn

Hope you find this interesting ,
Tom. :D
Adamwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very intresting thanks.
any chance of doing an idiot proof guide to flashing via bluetooth
aaronprez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to report that I did the upgrade to 3.2, and WAAS actually works on this thing when enabled. I did have to do a reset by shorting pins internally to make it fully work after the upgrade was complete though.

Reset instructions are here if anyone needs them:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44809
aaronprez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 3.2.4 is now available because someone extracted it from a GR-236 that had it loaded. For more info check the following link:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27925&whichpage=6
hometownnerd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Maybe someone can help me... Reply with quote

I have the GPSLim236 and am wondering the likelihood of flashing my firmware over BT using the Pocket PC as my laptop does not have BT. If that is not feasible does anyone know how to make a cable instead of buying one to go from usb to GPS?

Another question, is there any sites that show what settings to set for the GPS to make it work better and to slow the drifting I am seeing? Is NMEA or SIRF better?

Thanks for your help,
Larry
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

AFAIK, it's not possible to flash the Holux from a PPC because the SirfFlash utility is only available for PCs. The simplest solution would be to use a USB-Bluetooth dongle on your laptop. They're available from about £5 upwards, although some of the cheaper ones may have rather poor drivers.

Yes, it's certainly possible to make an interface cable, but you need to use a USB-serial adapter, convert the RS232 to CMOS/TTL levels and then connect to the mini USB connector on the Holux (which does NOT use USB protocol) .

GPS positions always drift slightly, the magnitude depending partly on how good a view the GPS has of the whole sky. You can stop the drift by enabling SiRF's "Static Navigation", but this basically just locks the current postion, it won't give any better accuracy (it will probably be worse).

In general, there is no difference between the gps positions reported in the SiRF and NMEA protocols, but IMHO the Holux doesn't correctly report slow speeds in its NMEA velocity data field.

There is a vast amount of information available on the GpsPasSion site, for example here and here.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
hometownnerd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the information..... Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the information, I guess I will wait until I can get a cable, as it sounds like it may be well worth the wait. Or I may just try to buy a BT card for my laptop, as they have a builtin option for it and just did not purchase it, never thought I would need BT in my laptop. I will definitely read the two links you gave me as well. I did try SIRF yesterday but saw speeds fluctuating even though I was sitting in my chair, so not sure SIRF will help me currently.

One last thing, the new firmware, isnt that correcting some of the drift people had before?

Thanks again,
Larry
PAQMAN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Holux Support Reply with quote

Im posting this here as i cannot see the proper section. I have a GPS Slim236 which will not pair with my HP 1940 Pocket PC. I have tried going onto the Holux site to ask for help but there does not appear to be any links or phone numbers on there. So how and where do I go now.
Can anyone point me in the correct direction. Or provide an answer to my problem with the failure to pair.
hometownnerd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Not 100% sure if I can help a whole lot....but.... Reply with quote

Gotta ask the first questions, is Bluetooth on? Have you discovered the holux from within the Bluetooth menu under devices? If you did this did you give it the security code 0000 (I think that is it)? did you create a new incoming port for the holux under com ports in the bluetooth menu? then under the GPS menu did you set the com port programs will use to see GPS data mine was com5 under the Programs tab? under hardware tab did you set the com port that you set the com port to the same entry as in the bluetooth menu, mine was com7 and baud of 33600? and I also had manage automatically checked under the access tab.

Let me know if that helps or confuses you or just plain wasted your time,
Larry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: