Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One single track road obsession Aaaargghhhh ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One single track road obsession Aaaargghhhh ????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: TomTom One single track road obsession Aaaargghhhh ???? Reply with quote

The only real gripe I have with our TomTom ONE V1 is that it seems obsessed with taking me down farm tracks and single track roads !!

Navigating at the weekend from Taunton to EX15 2DT it took us down about 6 miles of single track roads, some with grass growing down the middle - it was much faster to just skirt round on the main road, so I can't understand why TomTom prefers the farm tracks ?

Is there a way of avoiding this, I can only assume the mapping data has mis-categorised these single track lanes as minor roads, but assume this is something you can't alter.

My previous ViaMichelin satnav software helpfully allowed you to set your own avg speeds for different types of roads, so by setting minor roads to 15mph you could bias it away from using them, which was very useful - but I don't believe you can do this with TomTom unless its hidden in a file somewhere ?

Any suggestions (other than ignore TomTom and plan your route using a roadmap) welcome !
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using shortest route?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always choose Quickest Route - but TomTom doesn't seem to provide it :-(

Versions are:
App 6.560 (7914/021211) OS:1713
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.05
Map Great_Britain-Map v605
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's Garmin i3 is even worse for picking very minor roads. On a parallel test when we were caravanning near Cowbridge, the Garmin chose some roads that even TomTom spurned. Fortunately we didn't have the caravan on the back at the time!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
I always choose Quickest Route - but TomTom doesn't seem to provide it :-(

Versions are:
App 6.560 (7914/021211) OS:1713
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.05
Map Great_Britain-Map v605
Can you provide an example route?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when I chose "shortest route" from Buxton to Sheffield, I was expecting to have to get out and open gates at any time. But when I switched it to "fastest route" for the return journey it was fine - went for the motorway instead. I don't recall the version I was using.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have it set to shortest in the preferences menu go to routing and set it to fastest or limited speed

and you followed it and drove down roads you considered unsuitable Question

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
and you followed it and drove down roads you considered unsuitable Question

Well, if they'd got too unsuitable I'd have gone a different way. I certainly wouldn't have been one of those that follows it religiously regardless of where it sends me.

In my mind I had decided that to cut straight across from Stoke to Sheffield would be quicker than going M6-M62 or A50, but I'd underestimated just how bad some of the direct roads are. By the time I'd found out, I was running late for the concert so I was reluctant to do much improvisation in the pitch dark. That said, one of the things I like is the way this and others recalculate the route on the fly, so at least I had the option to find a close A-road heading in roughly the right direction, stick to it, and have TomTom keep re-routing until I got there.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry traffcam my comment was aimed at the origunal poster not at your self

device Lumia 950 xl
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately have fastest route set, and example route is in original posting (Taunton to EX15 2DT) avoiding M5 motorway (not sure if I did re-calculate road, avoiding part of route, M5 or if we just ignored the motorway junction and stayed on the A38/B3181 (a better route than TomTom chose) and let it recalculate.

As for following the TomTom down an unsuitable road, I wouldn't have driven into the sea, or down railyway tracks, but as I'm sure everyone finds, you think maybe its just a short stretch of single track road cutting across onto a decent road, so keep going longer than perhaps you should - after all, if I just ignore the TomTom and drive my own route, it makes owning a TomTom a bit pointless.

From the responses, it sounds like this is just something people accept, I guess its because these single track lanes are rated national speed limit, and so TomTom/Map providers consider them better roads than a main road nearby which might be a 50mph limit !

Shame there is no way of putting a 'nasty road' POI where you like, and the routing algorithm would try to avoid these (ie give them a 10 minute delay weighting), so at least you could do this for annoying routes.
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is annoying always happens when I have caravan on back, what gets me is it takes u off a great A road routes u round little uns and puts u back on exactly same A road WTF... Mad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
I definately have fastest route set, and example route is in original posting (Taunton to EX15 2DT) avoiding M5 motorway
My TT GO710 calculates fastest route from centre of Taunton to EX15 2DT down the M5 then A373, 23.8 miles, 0:36hrs. Same but Avoiding Motorways uses A38 only as far as Wellington then turns off and heads directly to destination, 16.4 miles, 0:37hrs. I really don't think you've got a valid complaint if you decline the fastest route and then find yourself not on it! Confused Were you going "off route" down the B3181 as far as Willand and Cullompton? Fastest route is fastest route - as you see from my details above, one minute faster.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in defence of tomtom this has NEVER happened to me if i have had fastest route selected, I have done this when i have shortest route selected, but use commonsense to avoid farmers yards Laughing Laughing I travel over rural wales and staffordshire so i sometimes prefer the more scenic short route to break the monotony of faster roads, and it makes for interesting stops for lunch, sandwiches and a flask Rolling Eyes Laughing
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was driving a classic vehicle on bank holiday weekend, so M5 is a carpark and I ignored it, the TomTom then cuts through a single track road from Culmstock for about 6 miles with few passing places 'directly' to destination, coming back I took the road out to Cullumpton, and came back on the B3181/A38 which is a two lane decent road so took half the time - I'd call that faster personally, so consider this to be bad routing.

I don't understand why half the people on this list agree TomTom is obsessed with single track lanes to avoid an extra 50ft of A road, the other half (TomTom employee's?) argue with any criticism as if its perfect.

Sounds like this is due to poor road classification on maps, single track lanes are National Speed Limit, so if the map provider doesn't actually check/reclassify these roads, the routing assumes 60mph is achievable on them, and they are preferred to main roads which are slightly longer route, even though this is obviously ridiculous.

I see on the news this week that local councils are petitioning the satnav companies to correct these problems which cause tailbacks and lorries on single track roads and through small villages which traffic cannot get through, so it can't just be me !

Sounds like map share doesn't address this properly either, not allowing you to mark a road 'single track' or 'access only' to avoid these routing errors, shame you can't drop a 'access only' POI on the bad routes, and this be included in routing algorithm, which I can't believe would be that hard, but I assume TomTom want you to keep buying newer maps so they can profit from this.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one is saying that tomtom is perfect. but dennis says as he has tested the routing

as for coucils petitioning companies for proper routing and avoidence of narrow lanes. the data for the maybe on the way in the not to distant future. but these maps will cost more and many drivers maybe unwilling to pay the extra as many navigation units ie ttgo etc are bought buy the drivers them selves not there companies
at end of the day if a driver follows a navigation unit blindly them its the drivers fault not the unit

the on in kent recently was down to bad management by highways agency and the organisers of tour for not providing adaquate alternative route signage

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: