Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Magnetic PDA holder, safe to use??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnetic PDA holder, safe to use??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Magnetic PDA holder, safe to use?? Reply with quote

A seller on ebay is advertising ‘Magnetic PDA holder’, you have probably seen the phone type. A magnet is stuck, to the dash or wherever, using double sided tape or pads and a thin steel strip stick to the back of the device.

Is this safe to use on a PDA?
Will close proximity of a magnetic field gdamage the screen / memory??

TIA.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just replaced a broken iPAQ 3870 with a new iPAQ 5550 and the HP carry case that was included uses a magnetic clasp, so I guess it must be safe enough with an iPAQ. I can't think why other makes should be any different.
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question some time back when trying to decide how to mount my iPaq in-car after replacing my Navman GPS3000 sleeve with a b/t gps.

Bought a windscreen mounted magnetic holder from globalpositioningsystems for £14, and stuck the self-adhesive metal plate to the back of the iPaq's cover-paq (figuring I'd buy a new one purely for that purpose, but in the end didn't bother).

There is no "magnetic interference" with the iPaq's screen - not that there should be since it's not CRT, and there's never been any problems with magnetic fields in proimity to the memory or starage cards - which again being solid-state shouldn't be damaged, but you never know.

I have a VW Passat, and am able to position the iPaq so that it's bottom-edge just rests on the curve of the instrument shroud of the dash, taking away any leverage-strain on the windscreen-mounted magnetic holder, but allowing me to plug in power.

Had this set-up for about 6 months now, and NOT ONCE has the windscreen mount fell-off - unlike my Navman mount previously.....

Go get one!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be a problem unless you use a MicroDrive in which case kiss goodbye to it. The only thing I haven't extensively tested is whether these do create prolonged problems with the chips within Pocket PC's. I don't think they do, but haven't really wanted to test this myself.
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Magnetic Reply with quote

Also, don't do as I did and put your fuel card near it.

That never worked again. I imagine it'd munch a Visa card too.

I've managed to get two car park tickets to stop working that way too.
You'd think I'd have learnt by now!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I learned too ? Nah! I keep putting these mounts down on my desk within about an inch of my Pocket PC or Laptop (even worse!)

I think we need to repeat "mind over matter", mind over matter, mind over matter, mind matter over [doh!]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: