Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stab-proof School Unifroms....whatever next??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stab-proof School Unifroms....whatever next??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Stab-proof School Unifroms....whatever next?? Reply with quote

Parents are resorting to Kevlar lined blazers and jumpers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6945814.stm

what is this country coming to??
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad times. Crying or Very sad

With seven London teenagers now dead in recent months, i suppose this can be a solution for worried parents.

My sixteen year old boy does not like going out and a lot of his friends are the same, a reason they become computer and game nerds, staying in is safe.

The problem with the uniform though is that although it might "partly" protect the innocent from the scum, i wonder if it could be more use to the scum to protect themselves, whilst picking on others.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
i wonder if it could be more use to the scum to protect themselves, whilst picking on others.

This was my first thought too - because they're the ones carrying the knives
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the police 'more on the beat' and stiffer sentances, rather than focusing on shutting the door once the horse has bolted, how about lobbying your mp for more preventative measures. Lets make the politicians account forthemselves and the ACPO Evil or Very Mad
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
what about the police 'more on the beat' and stiffer sentances, rather than focusing on shutting the door once the horse has bolted, how about lobbying your mp for more preventative measures. Lets make the politicians account forthemselves and the ACPO Evil or Very Mad

Although your suggestions are right and i agree more should be done, lobbying won't change anything, the Government seems to do as it pleases, in the present political climate there isn't a hope in hell of them changing to the point that it makes a real difference.

With Human Rights, Political correctness and all those "Woolly Liberal" Politicians, not including the arrogant ones, only there to line their own pockets, it is unlikely to change.

I think that it will take something drastic such as the public not being able to take any more and fighting back, possibly becoming Vigilantes, to cause such an outrage that ideas might possibly change.

Sad as it is the Police Policies cause more crime than less, but do they see it, do they hell, they are all blind to the mess they are making.

Sorry about the rant, good job it's the Off Topic area!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if these kevlar reinforced uniforms are visible as such. If they are, I would think they would be a magnet for the knife holder to take a pop at just to see if they work.

They are only slash resistant anyway and would not prevent a stabbing. Even our bulky kevlar vests don't prevent stabbings.

Kevlar uniforms in my opinion (the inventor was on telly the other day) have not been invented for any real benefit, other than encouraging scared parents to part with lots of cash (thanks to the media portrayal that the world in no longer a safe place), making someone very wealthy as a result.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if these kevlar reinforced uniforms are visible as such. If they are, I would think they would be a magnet for the knife holder to take a pop at just to see if they work.

They are only slash resistant anyway and would not prevent a stabbing. Even our bulky kevlar vests don't prevent stabbings.

Kevlar uniforms in my opinion (the inventor was on telly the other day) have not been invented for any real benefit, other than encouraging scared parents to part with lots of cash (thanks to the media portrayal that the world in no longer a safe place), making someone very wealthy as a result.

Wow!! I was just going to post something like this after discussing it with someone yesterday - although no doubt with loads of spelling errors.
snowboardcriminal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole problem with policing is that it does not pay forces to actually prevent crimes occuring, as the figures are published for the public in such a way as the quoted figure that is highlighted year on year is the detection rate.

If you have fewer crimes but a lower detection rate is is not reflected without some serious numbercrunching for average Joe/Joanne, thus bubgets ETC are affected. Very F%$£%d up system.

There are things that I know and you don't know, there are things that you know that i don't know, but always remember there is much that we both don't know.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes back to that old saying:

"Lies, damned lies and statistics"

Statistics is the mathematical equivalent of origami - if you use the calculation of your choice, you can make the figures say what you want hem to say
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
With seven London teenagers now dead in recent months, i suppose this can be a solution for worried parents.

How many of these were stabbed while in school uniform though? Hmm, probably none. This won't stop misguided "concerned" parents buying their kids a slice proof uniform though.

To be honest, I think kids would see this as a target or a reason to taunt/bully the poor kid.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also give a kid a false sense of security, making them feel immortal - but look at how chunky police stab vests are and you can't imagine many teenagers wearing something like that voluntarily.

The problem then is that anything less might not be up to the job, leading to a child being stabbed when they're thought to be safe.

...and, yes, there's the obvious targetting of these kids
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
It all comes back to that old saying:

"Lies, damned lies and statistics"

Statistics is the mathematical equivalent of origami - if you use the calculation of your choice, you can make the figures say what you want hem to say

Correct. They say that about 20 percent of accidents are caused by people under the influence of alcohol. Therefore the other 80 percent aren't. It stands to reason then that you are less likely to be involved in an accident if you are , right ? Wink

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Correct. They say that about 20 percent of accidents are caused by people under the influence of alcohol. Therefore the other 80 percent aren't. It stands to reason then that you are less likely to be involved in an accident if you are , right ?

Right!

Anyway 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot. 59% of people know that!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
59% of people know that!!

Ah, but if you put the z and y the other way round, this increases to 73%

and if you use a slightly different formula:

X Factor is a load of absolutely dire auditions, but isn't that why we watch it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: