Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - myGarmin registration benefits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

myGarmin registration benefits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: myGarmin registration benefits Reply with quote

If you register a Garmin Nuvi on their website do they offer free map upgrades? If you have a Nuvi that came with City Navigator NT V8, will they upgrade it to version 9 for free?

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on when you bought it. It you bought it during the qualifying period the yes. if not, no.
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it about a month ago but I don't know how long it had been sat in the shop. When was the qualifying period?

When I put the serial number in the garmin site it said there were no updates but that was without registering.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be OK as the v9 maps where out nearly a year ago.

When you upgrade the maps you get the maps free but the unlock code to install the costs. If you register your i3 when you goto buy the unlock code it should be offered at a price of £0.00.
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: More Q's about map updates Reply with quote

How often are Map Updates issued?

How many free updates do Garmin normally offer?
Is it really worth paying £50 for an update, do they make that much of a difference?
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpGrades-Once a year usually! In January or February.

In a brand new unit you may find them in the unit after October of each year!

It was really worth upgrading to v9 this year, as Ireland had 'full' coverage for the first time.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was really worth upgrading to v9 this year, as Ireland had 'full' coverage for the first time.

Not just Ireland but the rest of Europe too, IIRC. The v8 maps only covered northern France and Belguim, but v9 offered full Europe coverage.

Quote:
Is it really worth paying £50 for an update, do they make that much of a difference?

Depends. For example i mainly use my i3 locally (within 20 miles of home) and there aren't that many changes that really affect me. The only "big" error i have found is the northern end of the A1 where it's been re-routed slightly and the i3 goes mad for a minute or two, but nothing i can't ignore. Also the major changes in Coulsdon aren't reflected fuly in the v9 maps either, but again i know the area. I've ignored the v9 maps but i'll probably upgrade to v10 later this year.

For some people who drive all over the country and are delivery drivers or reps it's more importnant.
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to upgrade 2 versions in one go i.e. could you go from v9 to v11 (when they are out)? Just thinking £50 every 2 years rather than every year would be better value for me.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible to upgrade 2 versions in one go i.e. could you go from v9 to v11 (when they are out)? Just thinking £50 every 2 years rather than every year would be better value for me.

Hope so. I'm planning on going v8 to v10. I don't think it's an upgrade really. You just buy the new maps.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Certainly Possible Reply with quote

scotty76 wrote:

I've been using Garmin products for a few years, and I skipped from v6 to v8 on my GPS V.

Since the upgrade to V9 was free with my I3, I'll be waiting for V11 before upgrading again unless there are significant changes in V10.

I've found that there are some routing differences between 8 and 9, but all are pretty insignificant.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: