Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I trade in my I3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I trade in my I3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon1606
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Should I trade in my I3 Reply with quote

Hi.

just wondering if the general concensus is that i shoud ebay my garmin I3 and get something a little newer...

and indeed what.. tomtom one ? nuvi 250 ? there seem to be so many out there now.

The best thing i like about the I3 is its ability to take normal batteries.. no messy wires hanging around the car,but that looks like a thing of the past now.

I could spend 200.00 without the wife going mental.

any thoughts anyone ?
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If you are thinking of getting another Garmin and given that it's now August, why not wait a little and get one with the V10 maps?

V10 Maps thread...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57413

I upgraded from an i3 to a Nuvi 310D last year specifically to get the traffic function. It's saved me on a couple of occasions but reading around you'll see that it doesn't work that well for a lot of people. So was it worth it at the time? Probably not. However as the i3 is now discontinued I think I'd have been upgrading this year as well so I know where you're coming from.

As regards Tom Tom vs. Garmin I guess it's the age old debate. From what I have read it's features (TomTom) vs. map accuracy (Garmin). As a navigation tool I think I'd prefer to have accurate mapping than, say, nicer looking maps but everyone has their own take on what's important to them. I'd like to try TomTom some day just to see the difference.

One final note. People I know who have TomTom have indicated it's just as likely to take you down the country lanes given half a chance so there's no real distinction on that front! Smile

HTH.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Depends what you want Reply with quote

It depends what you want. I've upgraded from an I3 to a Nuvi 350 (It was a forced upgrade after dropping the I3 in a puddle. Still works except for the speaker).

If all your after is a GPS then I'd stick with the I3, the only enhancements you'll get from the Nuvi is a bigger screen, with touch rather than the scroll wheel, and spoken street names. The Maps and routing algorithms are pretty much if not exactly the same. If you want updated maps, the DVD is free and the unlock $75 US (so 40-45 GBP).

If all the extra gimicks push your buttons the Picture Viewer is slow off the SD card, the MP3 player is not the best for speaker sound, and without paying out for the travel guides the sample language toosl are pretty limited.

The selling point for me was the traffic info, and as you can see by looking around this requires more expense, and is not reliable. I really like the Nuvi, but if my I3 was still working I wouldn't have bothered.
trafficsign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently upgraded from an i3 to a Nuvi 250 because I needed European coverage and it was time for a newer model. I did a lot of research before making up my mind and I have not been disappointed.
The price I paid was very attractive (see my comment in this Garmin forum under...Just bought a Nuvi 200). However, if making the same decision today I would go for the wide screen Nuvi 250W if I could get it for about £200.

I did not want the added expense of Traffic Information because I did not think any of the providers gave consistantly reliable and up to date information. The many negative comments on this site prompted more research. On numerous occassions I noted the report of a serious traffic problem somewhere and then spent a long time on the Internet comparing how various Traffic Information providers reported the incident AND Road Clear information. Sometimes the main players would not even mention a major incident. I am much happier being guided by `Sally Traffic`on Radio 2 and local radio TA bulletins.
jon1606
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys that was very helpful

It looks like I will wait awile for the upgraded maps, but the extra functionality of the Nuvi 250W is appealing.

anyway thanks
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon1606,

Please check your PMs.
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off to look at the map update thread.

I have an i3 with v8 UK and Europe mapping, and I have City Navigator USA v8 maps also locked to this unit, use it in Florida for holidays and lend it to friends who are holidaying there.

I would like a new unit, just really fancy a unit with a bigger screen, although the i3 has been great for me.

I was looking at the 610t on amazon for £207 with only UK maps, but not sure how much the trafficmaster feature would be to me in North Scotland. I would then have to purchase additional USA maps.

Another option for £180 is the Garmin 270 with UK and US maps but I would be better waiting until the V10 maps are released for the UK.

My other option would be to buy a Tom Tom one v3 for UK use only (will not take US maps), and next time I am in the US buy an American unit with US maps for use there. I am a bit confused about Tom Tom mapshare, this will provide free map updates but are these only from updates supplied by users?

I am really unsure what to do - any advice?
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also forgot to add that I saw on the site that Garmin will be launching their new range of GPS units in Oct 2007, so will also be worth waiting to see the actual prices rather than RRP - also should mean the price of the exisiting models will fall?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: